advertisement

Home trials?

Hi Rob
How would I go about measuring the response of my whole system?
Can this be done without spending too much money on test equipment?
I would be very interested to know, and share with my friends..........perhaps this would be something for me and my mates to do one evening.

Markus,

I was going to ask about that. Flattening the hills and valleys I imagine is easy enough to do, but how can room correction eliminate the smearing effect of reflections?

It seems to me that the system would have to reproduce the reflected sound 180º out of phase with the actual reflected sound in real time for the latter to cancel the former.

Joe

Most room correction algorithms concentrate on applying notch filters where room resonances cause a delay in a tone dying down. The resonance is still there, but it is excited less and is thus less annoying.

This doesn't solve the basic problem: the acoustic signal at the resonance frequency will take longer to die down than at other frequencies, which leads to all sorts of timing and phase weirdery. For that, you need room treatment, not room correction.

No idea how much of this applies to RoomPerfect. I've re-read the Lyngdorf site, but they are rather short on actual information.

I need to get some work done today, maybe I'll revisit this thread tomorrow. Meanwhile, maybe Rob would like to tell us a bit more about how RoomPerfect deals with the time domain?

I can't see how it can deal with the time domain without being active. that would mean continuous measurement at the listening position and the consequence would be an even smaller sweet spot.

Noise canceling headphones work as I describe above, but the problem of a small sweet spot is irrelevant for obvious reasons.

I dont know but I'll ask the question.

I can't see how any system can deal with first reflections, all I know if that it sounds much better in use that not and has improved even the best listening room I've used it in. Ideally I think most systems would benefit from room treatment and RoomPerfect. This is obviously an option that is too ugly and expensive for most people but I believe the two options used together will give the best results possible if what you are after is the most accurate reproduction possible.

I'll see what additional info I can get from Lyngdorf........

Rob,

I'm just thinking that if digital room correction could tame the reverb of an average bathroom to make it sound like a concert hall it would be damn impressive. But I'm struggling to see how this can occur.

Joe

Joe
I messed around at the weekend and set my Lyngdorf 2.2 system up in my kitchen, which I guess is around 12' square..........i had a very consistant result to my lounge..............it does work, it wasn't a concert hall but then that is a little unrealistic......

Merely wanted the proof of consistant results from room-to-room.
I have had the system in four completely different sized rooms in my house now, and the results are very consistant, I would say within a few percent of each other.

My lounge is the best thankfully, although my spare bedroom runs a very close second, which is good if my wife ever decides that she wants it moved out of the lounge.

Would I get the same results in other rooms if it were not for the use of Electronic room correction?

I didn't mean to cause offence and I've never said a hifi couldnt be great without some form of room treatment of room correction. In my experience hifi is just more accurate if one or both of these tools are used and I think this is a much over looked area of home audio reproduction.

I notice you said you measure some of your equipment with a scope. Have you ever measured the response of the whole system?

I agree with you that measuring the room for some form of correction is useful, I have no preference for how you tune the room.

Yeh, i swept the room while integrating my sub a year or so ago. I used the XTZ room analyzer to produce 16hz-20khz sweeps with various settings for speakers and sub, various locations for speaker, sub and me....

I'm happy with the result, apart from the main room node it's remarkably flat.

advertisement

Back