advertisement

Home trials?

1. The signature sound of the analogue stage on my cd player is I believe very faithful to the signal, 'as close as possible' some might say. The point is it's how I like it, it's my take on HIFI. Ultimately you are relying on the manufacturer to tell 'you' yours is flat and faithful, I put mine on the scope to ensure it is. Do you see the difference? You are taking it on good faith......

2. No I know bugger all about DAC's, woefully little. But I do know better and worse when i hear it.

3. The point wasn't that I wasn't aware of the problem at all, just that i hadn't measured it's effect and therefore wasn't certain of where the problem lay and how big it was.

4. ....an expensive add on...... funny you should mention that.. ;-)

If you've heard it and didn't like it there's nothing I can say.

Most people dismiss it without hearing it first.

Prejudice I think it's called?

I have got home demos for speakers but not too worried for amps as long as I had a good listen at the dealers with my setup. However, the most expensive I have bought new was my Nait XS and Kudos C1s. If I was buying a 282/250 etc then I would be looking at getting a home demo.

Most good dealers seem to be OK at bring some equipment around if they are relatively local

I am pretty sure that we all agree that the rooms acoustics will have an effect on the sound of a system,regardless of price, how we as individuals go about finding solutions to these problems is i think where we all have an opinion.
I would be interested to know whether anyone who uses acoustic panels on the reflection points of walls, also address the ceiling and floor which are also areas that need treating with acoustic treatments!

I have a lounge that my wife insists will never become a studio in it's look.
This is why I decided to look at electronic correction, and after messing about at bit with downloaded software.
I eventually had a demonstration of the Lyngdorf Roomperfect system of correction and turned out to be far superior to anything else i had tried, and thankfully it has given me a wonderfully sounding all digital system.
I would certainly urge everyone to have a listen to the Roomperfect correction system, even if it is just out of curiousity, and if an offer of a home dem is given, do it afterall you have no obligation to buy.
If you are like me, someone who really enjoys music and new technologies, it is well worth a listen.

Well, I am lucky; my hi-fi sounds very good, I love the music it makes, and I've not needed any room correction.

Home trials are good but of course they are expensive. The dealer needs a fat margin to be able to afford them. It is often much cheaper to buy online or s/h; and the quality of advice from the average dealer is less good IMO then what you get from a forum such as this one, no doubt with many honourable exceptions.

Tim

If anyone in the KENT (& South East) would be interested in hearing my system using Lyngdorf Room correction, then you are more than welcome, bring a few CD's along and have a coffee and a listen.

Just drop me a PM...........

FWIW and IME room correction may take some getting used to, and it may or may not be entirely successful.

The basic problem with room correction has been that it works only in the frequency domain, not in the time domain (yes, I know the mathematics behind some of the arguments).

Real-time playback correction is often felt to take the life out of the music. I have only heard the latest Lyngdorf stuff under show conditions, where it left me fairly underwhelmed, but I remain open-minded about the benefits.

Some people are not even sure that it is a good idea to take the palyback room out of the equation; listeners are used to haring the room as part of what happens in the room. Hearing music corrected feels alien to many people, but maybe that aspect fades over time.

Very good points you make Markus S.
When you say you were left 'underwhelmed' what was it about the performance that made you feel that way?

Tim
have you ever wondered whether it could sound better?

Of course. And I try experiments from time to time, and would happily try a room correction box but could not request a trial with integrity as even if if I loved it I cannot at the moment afford it.

I do object to the suggestion that because I don't have room correction it must sound bad.

Tim

Most of my listening is FLAC -> Naim 32.5/HiCap/250/Kans

Dac varies between Phase 22 soundcard, Squeezebox, Behringer SRC 2496 (best sound).

Occasionally a Naim CD3.

Tim

Tim
so the CD3 gets used a bit, is it just a convenience thing, or are you saying that streaming audio sounds better?

Tim
That is very interesting, I am lookin at buying either a Wadia or the new Onkyo ipod dock plus a sonos system.

Very good points you make Markus S.
When you say you were left 'underwhelmed' what was it about the performance that made you feel that way?

It didn't touch my soul. As I said, this was under show conditions, last year's Munich show to be precise where I spent maybe 30-40 minutes at the Lyngdorf demo. I only got a short glimpse this year.

As the listening room affects sound quality so much, did you insist on a home trial before buying your hifi?

Do you consider this is important?

Only for the speakers. But then I'm a reckless kinda guy with more money than sense, and not much of either.

Markus,

The basic problem with room correction has been that it works only in the frequency domain, not in the time domain (yes, I know the mathematics behind some of the arguments).
I was going to ask about that. Flattening the hills and valleys I imagine is easy enough to do, but how can room correction eliminate the smearing effect of reflections?

It seems to me that the system would have to reproduce the reflected sound 180º out of phase with the actual reflected sound in real time for the latter to cancel the former.

Joe

If you've heard it and didn't like it there's nothing I can say.

Most people dismiss it without hearing it first.

Prejudice I think it's called?

Balanced argument I would call it... I'm not stating any facts here, I'm asking questions...

I didn't mean to cause offence and I've never said a hifi couldnt be great without some form of room treatment of room correction. In my experience hifi is just more accurate if one or both of these tools are used and I think this is a much over looked area of home audio reproduction.

I notice you said you measure some of your equipment with a scope. Have you ever measured the response of the whole system?

advertisement

Back