advertisement

Has N. Korea pushed their luck too far now?

Kim without a common enemy would have lots of internal enemies with the shot to bits economy and society structure.

Trump does not need to have a enemy in N Korea - but he is so thick he takes the bait.

Trump's not a warmonger though, so it'll be fine.

The forces that control the US political machine and Trump - the Zionist/NeoCons - will do whatever the military-industrial complex demands and they always want war. Joe you've been on here long enough to know this. :D

Except that Kim has the whole place on his side anyway 100%. This is something different. This is about prestige and influence.

imo Kim only has the people on his side in a similar way to Gaddafi.

The ordinary N Korean's have to talk the talk, and walk the walk, for the purposes of self preservation.
Given half a chance they would seek payback much like the Libyans.

Kim without a common enemy would have lots of internal enemies with the shot to bits economy and society structure.

There are no internal enemies, there is too much fear to oppose the "Shining Star of Paektu Mountain".

imo Kim only has the people on his side in a similar way to Gaddafi.

The ordinary N Korean's have to talk the talk, and walk the walk, for the purposes of self preservation.
Given half a chance they would seek payback much like the Libyans.

Their obedience to the Great Leader is total, they know nothing else. There is no resentment, only loyalty. N Korea is unique.

I have a very bad feeling about this. The US defence forces will have constantly updated their what-if strategic responses but I'm not sure Trump will heed their advice, he will view this through a prism of ego and self interest.

The Washington Post, CNN and Fox News all reporting as fact that the North Koreans have minitiarised nuclear warheads which can be fitted to their new ICBM's.

So like Saddam's WMD nonsense.

Actually not. It was the Bush Administration that was pushing the story of Saddam's WMD and it was the press that was questioning it (pointing out the glaring inconsistencies in the yellow cake and aluminium tubes stories - I've been a NYT subscriber for a long time, so I remember well the arguments at the time). This time it's the press that is saying that the North Koreans might have miniaturised warheads, so the information may be somewhat more reliable, in that the press doesn't have a political barrow to push or action to justify.

However, miniaturised warheads are no good without a re-entry vehicle, and the North Koreans don't appear to have one - and they won't know whether they have one until they've tested one. A warhead that doesn't survive re-entry into the atmosphere is somewhat less than useless - the Americans don't even have to try to shoot it down - and nobody in their right mind is going to bank on testing it with the first shot in anger.

Actually not. It was the Bush Administration that was pushing the story of Saddam's WMD and it was the press that was questioning it (pointing out the glaring inconsistencies in the yellow cake and aluminium tubes stories - I've been a NYT subscriber for a long time, so I remember well the arguments at the time). This time it's the press that is saying that the North Koreans might have miniaturised warheads, so the information may be somewhat more reliable, in that the press doesn't have a political barrow to push or action to justify.

However, miniaturised warheads are no good without a re-entry vehicle, and the North Koreans don't appear to have one - and they won't know whether they have one until they've tested one. A warhead that doesn't survive re-entry into the atmosphere is somewhat less than useless - the Americans don't even have to try to shoot it down - and nobody in their right mind is going to bank on testing it with the first shot in anger.

It's a government agency that's feeding the (probable) lies, Tones. Just like Iraq.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a-1212p:homepage/story&utm_term=.dfc02eb6f177

North Korea has successfully produced a miniaturized nuclear warhead that can fit inside its missiles, crossing a key threshold on the path to becoming a full-fledged nuclear power, U.S. intelligence officials have concluded in a confidential assessment.

The analysis, completed last month by the Defense Intelligence Agency, comes on the heels of another intelligence assessment that sharply raises the official estimate for the total number of bombs in the communist country’s atomic arsenal. The United States calculated last month that up to 60 nuclear weapons are now controlled by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Some independent experts think the number is much smaller.

Actually not. It was the Bush Administration that was pushing the story of Saddam's WMD and it was the press that was questioning it (pointing out the glaring inconsistencies in the yellow cake and aluminium tubes stories - I've been a NYT subscriber for a long time, so I remember well the arguments at the time).

The Western press of the time - at least according to my memory - were questioning very little...

This time it's the press that is saying that the North Koreans might have miniaturised warheads, so the information may be somewhat more reliable, in that the press doesn't have a political barrow to push or action to justify.
I think that's a somewhat naive statement. Rupert Murdoch owns Fox, and the owner of the Washington Post has a $600M deal with the CIA.

Historically, most US mainstream media echoes the government's push for war, with little scrutiny of the reasoning.

The Western press of the time - at least according to my memory - were questioning very little...

I think that's a somewhat naive statement. Rupert Murdoch owns Fox, and the owner of the Washington Post has a $600M deal with the CIA.

Historically, most US mainstream media echoes the government's push for war, with little scrutiny of the reasoning.
Simply not true. There *was* a bias in favour of military action but it was far from complete. Even the BBC had plenty of sceptical stories about "the dodgy dossier" (including Andrew Gilligan's report that the report had been "sexed up"). The Hutton inquiry (into the death of David Kelly and surrounding events) led to the neutering of the BBC as a force for decent investigative journalism; it hasn't been the same since.

Simply not true. There *was* a bias in favour of military action but it was far from complete. Even the BBC had plenty of sceptical stories about "the dodgy dossier" (including Andrew Gilligan's report that the report had been "sexed up"). The Hutton inquiry (into the death of David Kelly and surrounding events) led to the neutering of the BBC as a force for decent investigative journalism; it hasn't been the same since.
I'm thinking the 45 minute warning nonsense etc, which appeared in many newspapers if memory serves. There was certainly much scaremongering anyway.

Perhaps the Beeb weren't as bad back then.

thesun.png

I'm thinking the 45 minute warning nonsense etc, which appeared in many newspapers if memory serves. There was certainly much scaremongering anyway.

Perhaps the Beeb weren't as bad back then.

thesun.png

The 45 minutes was always nonsense, and the UK Intelligence Services told Tony Blair so. They also told him quite forcefully that the US was fabricating the evidence around a case for war, which Blair chose to ignore, to his everlasting detriment.

Rachel Maddow did quite a good special on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5FaMbnINwc

advertisement

Back