advertisement

Harvey Weinstein

I don't think it's a gender issue - abuse of power, coercion and bullying happens in all walks of life regardless of gender, race, religion or any other distinguishing feature.

Abuse can come from either side in emotional or sexual relationships but seemingly only from the one when it comes to most business relationships.

We are discussing the film industry where 99% of abusive sexual exploitation comes from men like Weinstein. OK maybe it's 100%.

I don't think it's a gender issue - abuse of power, coercion and bullying happens in all walks of life regardless of gender, race, religion or any other distinguishing feature.

Abuse can come from either side in emotional or sexual relationships but seemingly only from the one when it comes to most business relationships.

Outstanding deflection! Why didn't they speak out!?!

Weinstein is a scumbag-we all know the type but think on this; Not 100m from where some of these million dollar assaults took place hookers on Hollywood Blvd are forced to give BJ's and worse at $5 a pop-where's the outrage or even the acknowledgement from the pfm posse?

There's the problem. The balance of power in the film industry is massively skewed in favour of men.

Weinstein is a scumbag-we all know the type but think on this; Not 100m from where some of these million dollar assaults took place hookers on Hollywood Blvd are forced to give BJ's and worse at $5 a pop-where's the outrage or even the acknowledgement from the pfm posse?
OK, I'm outraged. Happy now?

There you go again, blaming those who have been coerced.

istm certain new/young staff have spoken out after coming to the attention of sexual predators.
Can you guess what happens to most of them?
"You'll never work in this town again." was coined for the movie industry.

They had a choice - however difficult it was made for them.

Actually, merlin, I think you've argued your point very clearly, even though most of us seem to agree with ragaman in Post 87 :

The actions a victim takes should not be taken as a choice, it's usually an act of fear & self preservation,

The choice I do feel many actresses could have made was to have spoken out at a later date as it seems many industry insiders were not exactly unaware of Weinstein's behaviour, in a business that is famous for it.

It's the same story as sexual abuse of boys in football- it's taken until 2017 for the dam of silence to break.

I guess this thread could be more interesting and informative if a few women took part in the discussion.

I dated an American lass from NY who'd moved to LA who was a school teacher however, she'd made her money as a model, never did the whole model lifestyle thing herself and spent her savings on college. The guy she dated while she a model she dumped him after she found out that he, a male model, was basically, doing BJs etc etc for work. As she said, "Everyone at the agency bar me, knew about it".

"Hollywood Babylon" really is essential reading for those with an interest.

Some truly shocking comments on this thread.

In discussions of morality it's common to distinguish between actions that are praiseworthy and actions that are blameworthy. The former are admirable but aren't ethically mandated, whereas the latter are ethically proscribed and someone may be deemed to be at fault if he or she commits such an action.

Applying the distinction to the current debate I would say that women who speak out in the face of sexual harassment and implicit threats behave admirably and deserve praise. But women who don't speak out (because they fear the consequences, say) are not at fault and do not deserve blame.

Most of the heat on this thread appears to be down to merlin suggesting that women who don't speak out share the blame. I think this is false and unfair. While having moral courage is admirable, it is not mandatory and lacking it isn't a crime.
This is spot on.

I don't feel they are because we are not just talking about "not speaking out" but about acquiescing and, importantly, motivational forces employed in taking that action.

The other issue of course is with ethics. Ethics are taught as far as I am aware. The sad fact is that different ethics are taught to different people and we are guided throughout our lives by those teachings.

What you are saying, on one level, is that it is praiseworthy to rebel against those teachings regardless of action or consequence.

Let us be clear here. I am not defending those that abuse their power and prey on the vulnerable. I am, however pointing out that the targets of these abusers, as adults, have the opportunity to stand up to the bullying and, weighing up the balances, chose not to. For that, I maintain they must shoulder some of the responsibility. They had a choice - however difficult it was made for them.
It really is pointless
It's not sinking in
You cannot get past the fact that a woman, in this situation, if acting on the advances of the aggressor, will do so out of free will, until you understand the psychology of such a situation, you will continue to place blame in the wrong area.
It's a shame that an intelligent person cannot see this.
Maybe there are other factors at play you cannot get past, unless you express them honestly, your posts will continue to show your prejudice & ignorance of such a situation.

There are forums for this kind of thing, lots of them, for women who have faced similar situations, maybe give them a look over, you may learn something about how a woman feels under such provocation.

Sometimes a knife, a gun or extreme physical power is not needed if your a sociopath placed in a position of power.

I find it very hard to read this thread without an overwhelming urge to use phrases like "oh do **** off you odious little **** weasel".

OK, I'm outraged. Happy now?

So am I, they used to charge me $20

Back in the eighties, Silvio Berlusconi had a place on Eaton Terrace ....

I don't think your example is remotely comparable : if it had been Silvio making inappropriate advances on the young female assistant of a brand new firm that desperately needed his business to survive, perhaps then...

FWIW, Eaton Terrace is in Belgravia.

advertisement

Back