advertisement

Greatest Guitar Solos.......ever

...but my most favourite solo is this one. It's big and joyous and you can almost hear Steve (Hillage) smiling as he plays it. The "Golden Vibe" is an awesome riff to finish on.

I love this one too, it always leaves me with a huge grin at the end

FWIW I’ve always struggled with the concept of a ‘guitar solo’ (or any other instrument for that matter), but turning it round to ‘solo guitar’ (or any other instrument) makes the scope rather more interesting. Most of my favourite music isn’t flamboyant or grandstanding in any way, e.g. if you asked me what my favourite guitar parts were they’d likely be something by Vini Riley e.g.
It's an important distinction, I think. Perhaps less so for polyphonic instruments like guitar and piano, but swap in a bassoon and the difference snaps into focus. Me, I'd happily listen to a song with a great bassoon solo, but I'd be hard pressed to sit through solo bassoon for long. YMMV, etc.

For me, "solo guitar" vs. "guitar solo" comes down to context. As much as I love (e.g.) "Eruption", I still consider it the former rather than the latter. Either way, good thread – I've heard some great guitar that's new to me.

Neil Young, has done some great stuff. For example, Vampire Blues off "On the Beach". The solo at about 3 minutes in is a thing of genius - sounds like a fly trapped against a window pane.

More conventionally, some favourites have already been mentioned, but Carlos Santana on "She's not there" is unusually melodic.

Fripp's solo on "St Elmo's Fire" is very elegant

Another Hendrix fragment I love is in 3rd Stone from the Sun - arguably it is just part of the song rather than a solo.

I love "Eight Miles High" but it has always sounded more like a man falling down stairs holding a guitar than a solo. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
2.15 onwards always reminds me of Marty’s “Your kids are gonna love it” scene.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Never been able to work out why this piece is called Las Vegas Tango. Eric Gale’s solo has that vintage west coast 67 vibe.

It's not really whole solos that do it for me but rather when certain passages come in....the ones that make the hair on you neck stir.

Examples....

When the guitar comes back in after the percussion break in "Whole Lotta Love"
Prince when the guitar comes in in " Purple Rain"
Rather obviously the start of the solo in " Comfortably Numb "

I like Dave Gilmour in Dogs, Pink Floyd
Allan Holdsworth, In the Dead of Night, UK
Jan Akkerman, Questions/Answers, Focus
Davy O'List, Rondo, The Nice
Alex Lifeson, Farewell to Kings, Rush
Television, Marquee Moon
Lynyrd Skynyrd Freebird
Steve Howe, Parallels, Yes
Bob Fripp, Schizoid Man, KC
Jimmy Page, Stairway to Devon, LZ

It's not really whole solos that do it for me but rather when certain passages come in....the ones that make the hair on you neck stir.

Examples....

When the guitar comes back in after the percussion break in "Whole Lotta Love"

The guitar entry on Montrose's "Space Station #5" after all the space noises stop.... 50 secs in

Or the closing seconds of Van Halen's "Atomic Punk", with the swoops of the whammy bar taking the guitar in and out of the feedback zone, before the final chord....

advertisement

Back