advertisement

Greatest Guitar Solos.......ever

mikechadwick

pfm Member
May have been done before and pretty unfashionable in 2023(?) but what's your favourite, great guitar solo?
My contender for best ever....Keith Richards on Sympathy For the Devil, although Ken Williams solo on the Great Banana Hoax (Electric Prunes) is pretty much up there as well!
Answers on a postcard please.

Hmm. Difficult one.

There's this one with its twin guitar solo.

Peter Koppes cuts it up on this one at 2:08

This one gets played a lot. Solo starts at 3:00

There's a whole load from Bob Fripp, Edgar Froese, Manuel Gottsching, Mike Oldfield and many others but my most favourite solo is this one. It's big and joyous and you can almost hear Steve smiling as he plays it. The "Golden Vibe" is an awesome riff to finish on.

I’m sure we’ve had a thread similar to this before, and I’m sure I picked this. I was right to do so.
Your choice surprised me Tony, maybe I don’t appreciate guitar enough from a player’s perspective but I found that song odd, quirky (a bit Eric Morecambe - sorry!) and sounding like he/she had only been playing for a couple of years with a madly widdled plectrum and one finger finding a handful of notes on the fretboard. I’ve never forgotten your Classic comment years ago that you didn’t like widdly-widdly guitar, lol!

With your encyclopaedic knowledge of music I thought you would name a fabulous jazz or indie spot of genius I was oblivious to.

For myself I find it almost impossible to pick one amidst listening to a lifetime of rock, heavy rock, blues, jazz and other styles. Beyond all the well known hall of fame glitz type guitarists, I have liked solos from many others. Erm Martin Taylor, Jesse Cooke, BB King Buddy Guy et al, Bonamassa, George Benson, Joe Pass as well as surprises such as a Junkyard song called Blooze - kind of LA punk/rock blues from memory.

But I do like the less is more approach so maybe another vote for Wayne Perkins with his solo from Worried About You in the mid 70s when he auditioned for the Rolling Stones and that sat in the archives until they put it on their ‘81 album Tattoo You.

Watermelon in Easter Hay by Zappa still brings a tear to my eye, especially with the back story, but for sheer slowly building emotion, the solo at around 2 minutes in Further Than We’ve Gone’ also gets me every time…

Pretty much anything from Maurice Deebank, 'Dance Of Deliverance' about 5 mins in is one big guitar solo with no distracting indulgence:)

advertisement

Back