advertisement

Greatest Guitar Solos.......ever

How about the version of Calvary Cross on [guitar, vocal]? (Oxford Poly Nov 1975)

To answer your question, Calvary Cross is a better song but purely for the guitar solo I'd give it to Can't Win myself. I think the man improved over the years. If you have seen him perform live, there are times when it is hard to believe he has enough fingers to play as he does!

Tim

To answer your question, Calvary Cross is a better song but purely for the guitar solo I'd give it to Can't Win myself. I think the man improved over the years. If you have seen him perform live, there are times when it is hard to believe he has enough fingers to play as he does!

Tim

Seen him many times. Are you going to post 1952VBL or shall I? :)

PS - my utmost fave is Fahey's ' On the sunny side of the ocean.'

I dug that out for a spin earlier and it is indeed wonderful, as is the whole album. I must spend more time with it. A copy came in with a collection about 15 years ago along with some John Renbourn & Bert Jansch and I kept what I felt was the best of it including the Fahey. It is remarkable stuff with its own feel. Very interesting watching him play in the clip upthread.

PS FWIW I’ve always struggled with the concept of a ‘guitar solo’ (or any other instrument for that matter), but turning it round to ‘solo guitar’ (or any other instrument) makes the scope rather more interesting. Most of my favourite music isn’t flamboyant or grandstanding in any way, e.g. if you asked me what my favourite guitar parts were they’d likely be something by Vini Riley e.g.:

Or John McLaughlin’s part on In A Silent Way:

Both just perfection IMHO. No need for a “solo” when the whole thing evolves and changes or is improvised.

I dug that out for a spin earlier and it is indeed wonderful, as is the whole album. I must spend more time with it. A copy came in with a collection about 15 years ago along with some John Renbourn & Bert Jansch and I kept what I felt was the best of it including the Fahey. It is remarkable stuff with its own feel. Very interesting watching him play in the clip upthread.

The limit is, Fahey's art came from a place of utmost-misery in his, [ultimately, sad] life.
Not uncommon - but also - manifest in much of his music.

Which is also a little bit of why I think On the Sunny Side of the ocean is wonderful ( and the version I linked above is by no means the best!)

advertisement

Back