advertisement

Genesis: Together and Apart - BBC2 Saturday 4th Oct.

I watched about 2/3 of it. I just have no interest in them at all as a pop band. Banks and Rutherford were horribly patronizing and really dismissive of Hackett's contributions. I wasn't too surprised - didn't they just mix him out of Second's Out? Watching the interviews, you'd have thought 'that' solo from Firth of Fifth was Daryl Stuermer's work.

Tony Banks came across as a control freak who, even now, has trouble having a relaxed conversation about old tensions within the band.

One of my favourite bits was Gabriel talking about singing his guts out at the end of "Supper's Ready" as I've always thought that's one of his finest vocals.

Recorded it, 'cos partner hates anything remotely prog...

Gabriel and Hackett were the interesting bits of Genesis, IMO: saw them live twice, once on the postponed Lamb tour (excellent!), then again at Knebworth in '78 (pants!).

Always thought Collins was better when he stuck to being a drummer.

Have some recollection of someone or other saying that Genesis were essentially Tony Banks' band, so it doesn't surprise me that he's dismissive of Hackett.

I enjoyed the bit where Gabriel pointed at Banks (behind his back) the look on Gabriel's face was priceless.

There did appear to be a fair bit of tension in the room when they were all together - they should have plied them with a few drinks to loosen them up a bit . . .
then it could have got really interesting.

My sentiment exactly.

Mine to, thought he came over as really controlling pompous git who seemed to think it was his band and they all had to have his permission to do anything, he was obviously pissed off his solo albums never really did that well compared to the others I wonder why that was!

Even the seating locations were interesting. Banks on the middle with Gabriel in between Banks and Hackett. Gabriel was also a control freak but has learn to deal with it. I read that Collins is just come back from bad depression. Gabriel's vocal on the early demos still sound unique.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Genesis: I adore their early stuff, especially the Gabriel years, and just got more frustrated with them in the 80s (I remember buying the 'Invisible Touch' LP, then flinging it across the room in anger after the first play). At their best - both band and solo - there are few to touch them (ok, IMO), but I never got on with the 'cheeky chappie' persona of PC.

There have been better Genesis documentaries: indeed, the second discs that came with their box sets had an interview per album, and was much more detailed and forthcoming. Even yesterday's programme was abridged: there is a longer version set for Blu-ray/DVD release. This may be kinder to Hackett's (and Anthony Phillips's) solo careers, and editing decisions yesterday would have most likely been made by the BBC. It was strange to see 2 albums entirely missed out though, especially the Ray Wilson period.

When they promised 'rare footage', I think most fans wanted to see more of the 1970 Roundhouse gig (there are separate audio and video recordings in existence), but alas no - a real missed opportunity. What a lot of fans have been clamouring for is the long-promised soundboard tapes (a la King Crimson): this documentary and 3CD collection is just another pointless repackaging exercise.

Ok, every clip I ever see he seems to be playing guitar.

Hackett also invented tapping, as evident here.

What a guitarist.

This is great stuff.

I had the same organ, Pianet and four channel mixer!

I'd forgotten how much early Gabriel was channelling Mick Jagger.

This is great stuff.

Stephen

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great stuff.

Stephen

That Belgian TV set is their finest 30 minutes.

A very good series too featuring VdGG, If, Pentangle, Family, Sabbath, Curved Air, Atomic Rooster, Yes, Family, Brian Auger's Oblivion Express and a couple of others

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just noticed that Genesis didn't have a bass player...

Er. Mike Rutherford?

He did also play guitar and bass pedals.

Well known for playing a one-off split Shergold double-neck:

festmr.jpg

He had various top / bottom sections so could assemble the thing as a 6 string guitar / 4 string bass, 12 string guitar / bass etc. Lots of info over on the Shergold guitars fan site here.

I was surprised that there was barely a Shergold anywhere to be seen in the documentary last night. They also didn't mention Genesis Live or Seconds Out, the latter has to be one of the biggest selling live albums I'd have thought (and it's chock full of Shergold!).

PS FWIW I think Lamb Lies Down On Broadway towers way, way above the rest of their catalogue, it's interesting to hear it was the album that pretty much broke them. I also felt Tony Banks did not come across well and seemed like a right control-freak, though the rest of them seemed thoroughly decent. Collins especially so.

I used to have a Shergold 12/Bass un split - nightmare. I much prefer the separate 12/fretless I have now.

I wonder if Bank's attitude comes from being the only member of the band without a successful solo career? Again, ironic as he was such an important writer in Genesis.

advertisement

Back