advertisement

Genesis: Together and Apart - BBC2 Saturday 4th Oct.

My hifi exists becuase of genesis and i bet i am roughly the same age as TW99 .

When my contempoaries were pretending to be rebellious punks listening to the damned and wearing tartan chain link trousers [ early 80's !!!!] , I looked at them and thought WTF you are 12 years of age WTF have you got to rebel against .

The only chance of a Genesis band reunion happening is if Tony Banks is not part of it!

Get Rick Wakeman in there instead. . . :D

This documentary simply confirmed my long-held belief that Banks has always been a very quiet control freak. He seems unable to get over the fact that other key members of the band have enjoyed much more success as solo artists.

As has already been mentioned, his disdain and haughty attitude toward PG and SH is on full display here. And apart from some early footage, that's about all this fragmented and biased documentary has going for it.

I was surprised that none of the albums before Invisible Touch made the US top 10.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility.

What have you got?

A million and six things I didn't have a clue about when i was 12 years of age ;)

Im with RD Lang , given the state of the world we live in , only the truly mentally ill are not angry , depressed and sad . And Fcuk Francis Fukuyama , there most be more than this .

although , when i look at my pt glowing pink with the light of the newly fitted led's , playing genesis while baby gerald rocks back and forth to the rhythm in my arms , i do tend to forget .

p.s - except when playing the waiting room , that made him cry - no bloody rhytham to rock to

My hifi exists becuase of genesis and i bet i am roughly the same age as TW99 .

When my contempoaries were pretending to be rebellious punks listening to the damned and wearing tartan chain link trousers [ early 80's !!!!] , I looked at them and thought WTF you are 12 years of age WTF have you got to rebel against .

Funnily enough and I remember it well, one of the boys coming into school and taking the piss out of The Damned (and their lack of musicality or some old bollocks) on a Friday morning after seeing them do Love Song on TOTP's the night before....They all liked Genesis and Uriah Heep :eek:

I should add the same boys hated Kraftwerk because they 'cheated' by not using guitars...:D

I first saw Genesis with Gabriel in Manchester on the 1975 Lamb tour. I'd just turned 16 a couple of weeks earlier, and my mate was celebrating his 16th birthday. We had a few refreshers before the gig, only he overdid it and slept through most of the concert. As an avid Genesis fan he was mortified, but consoled himself with the fact that they'd surely be back in Manchester in a year or so.

Gabriel left the band a couple of months later...

I used to love Genesis when I was a school kid, but it all seems a bit iffy now. Definitely a band of a specific time.
I missed all this, but will watch it tonight in iPlayer if it's on. I'd be interested for old time's sake.
Not at all into the solo twiddlings of the band at all, but I have previously been made aware that Steve Hackett is a throughly decent chap. I'm sure they all are really. Why wouldn't they be?
I doubt I will ever play any of their albums again though. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since I was a school kid.

What was the point of the documentary? I suspect generating exposure to combat dwindling sales in the back catalogue and promotion of the new best of cd. I thought Many too Many from Knebworth was interesting though, on the Top of the Pops special. I wonder if this was filmed before the concert? Seemed to have the full stage equipment set up. Probably a rehearsal a few weeks before. Must check who else was on the bill that year.

A million and six things I didn't have a clue about when i was 12 years of age ;)

Im with RD Lang , given the state of the world we live in , only the truly mentally ill are not angry , depressed and sad . And Fcuk Francis Fukuyama , there most be more than this .

although , when i look at my pt glowing pink with the light of the newly fitted led's , playing genesis while baby gerald rocks back and forth to the rhythm in my arms , i do tend to forget .

p.s - except when playing the waiting room , that made him cry - no bloody rhytham to rock to

You're still fighting, aren't you. You're always fighting. Why do you hate everybody?

The only chance of a Genesis band reunion happening is if Tony Banks is not part of it!

Get Rick Wakeman in there instead. . . :D

This documentary simply confirmed my long-held belief that Banks has always been a very quiet control freak. He seems unable to get over the fact that other key members of the band have enjoyed much more success as solo artists.

As has already been mentioned, his disdain and haughty attitude toward PG and SH is on full display here. And apart from some early footage, that's about all this fragmented and biased documentary has going for it.

Totally agree. Even though it was not that entertaining after the first half I watched it till the end just to understand them and try to see Genesis from each members point of view. What i realised after it finished is I even don't like Anthony Banks and Rutherford too. Envious bastards.

I doubt I will ever play any of their albums again though. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since I was a school kid.
Still nice to stand on the ol' bridge from time to time and gaze into the depths. I don't know that it isn't the same water down there, come 'round again. Hydrologic cycle and all that.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility.

I Agree!

I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

I'll just have to fire up Sussudio!

I'm just watching the video on YouTube and at 0:55 what looks like a young Quentin Tarantino appears. It is him apparently

Basically lost interest after PG left, and certainly after SH followed him. Ended up buying a few of the later albums but nothing compares with Foxtrot.

It's interesting to see how much PG's personality changed by being away from the band. By all accounts, he was a tortured soul in Genesis

Banks and Rutherford don't appear to have done that, i.e. bloody lightened up a bit. I'd never realised what a dour chap Rutherford was. Maybe it's old age. Thank God for PG and Phil Collins or it would have been a very serious program

advertisement

Back