advertisement

Frugalhorns on tour

What’s the crossover you’re using Steve? 80hz?
Not entirely sure, I don't think it's calibrated. I will have a look. It's backed off from "stunt bass" but definitely there, and when I turn off the main speakers it sounds like being outside a noisy pub, you can't hear voices or the melody but you can hear all the bass rumbling through the wall.

Sounds like you are having fun Steve. Looking forward to hearing how the MK3s do with some valves driving them....

Fyi, youd expect these speakers, placed near room corners to fall off roughly 1st order from about 60Hz so replicating that slope with a sub would be a good start

Yes, you should find they fall off at about 6dB per octave from about 60Hz ish. If you have your sub come in at that point you should be good. If you can set a 1st order slope to match the speaker fall of you should be able to keep things flattish. If your sub slope is second order only then pull the speakers out from the wall a bit and they will fall off a bit steeper and a bit earlier.

Stefan

for the thickies amongst us , could you put that more simply ?

It means that Stefan recommends setting any subwoofer crossover at 60hz Phil. That means the sub handles any frequency lower than 60hz and the XL’s handle frequencies above this. Something like miniDSP or Dirac is required to get the best integration. I didn’t try Dirac with my XL’s but maybe I should give it a go based on Steve’s feedback.

My do is set about 100Hz, it's a Vibe sub intended for a car and running on a 12V 5A SMPS. Claims insane power, can't have from 5A. Sounds good.

get round there for a listen , we are lining up for a listening session here soon in brum . one thing for sure you don`t need no sub with the xl`s !!!!!

the latest issue of hi fi critic landed on my doorstep today and who should be mentioned on the back page is frugalhorns proprietor stefan !! certainly getting some exposure . turns out paul messenger was trying out a mba maruader . apparently this has a single full range driver from mark audio . read the article yourself if you wish

https://www.hificritic.com/

today playing the wonderful johann johnannson `the theory of everything` i am struck by how realistic it sounds even on spotify . most impressive on the flugal xl . they have been playing every night and rather grow on you

I've not actually read that, bless Paul for mentioning me. He rang me out of the blue a couple of months back to introduce himself and we had a good chat about full range drivers. He also recently reviewed the Sibelius speakers which also have drivers I supply. He absolutely loved them, in fact he went on the say that he has come to the conclusion the full range is the only really acceptable format for HiFi. I'm hopefully going to meet him soon and build a kit with him. Mark himself will be here in time for the shows this year so if anyone wants to pick his brains you can meet him, I'll probably arrange some meet and greet events too.

He absolutely loved them, in fact he went on the say that he has come to the conclusion the full range is the only really acceptable format for HiFi.
I beg to differ, having had great success with big electrostatics. I am sure that adherents to Tannoy, active operation, open baffle with DSP, etc have similar views.

the latest issue of hi fi critic landed on my doorstep today and who should be mentioned on the back page is frugalhorns proprietor stefan !! certainly getting some exposure . turns out paul messenger was trying out a mba maruader . apparently this has a single full range driver from mark audio . read the article yourself if you wish

https://www.hificritic.com/

today playing the wonderful johann johnannson `the theory of everything` i am struck by how realistic it sounds even on spotify . most impressive on the flugal xl . they have been playing every night and rather grow on you

The drivers need a long break-in period Phil. There’s no way I had put 100 hours on them yet, so they’re probably still breaking in.

I beg to differ, having had great success with big electrostatics. I am sure that adherents to Tannoy, active operation, open baffle with DSP, etc have similar views.

Of course, and I don't think he's seriously suggesting everyone stops listing to thier preferred speakers, just that after years of listening to multiway speakers with bass his conclusion is that something truly exceptional can happen to the rest of the frequency band if a few Hz at the bottom end are forsaken

i am struck by how realistic it sounds even on spotify . most impressive on the flugal xl . they have been playing every night and rather grow on you

Be very interested on your comments when you move over to listening to a conventional speaker again Phil, assuming you do. I’ve tried to drop a couple of well regarded 2 or 3 way Designs with crossovers and I really missed the immediacy and speed of the XLs.

They are beautiful, lovely cabinetry.

No it's not a Pensil, it's a different sort of loading not seen very often if at all in a commercial offering. I'm not allowed to talk more about the design but it is very clever.

They have had some success and the full review is well worth a read to get a real flavour for what Paul thinks of them. It interesting to note that at that money they do sell which means we can quite confidentiality say that the DIYer can easily achieve a similar sound using these cheap drivers and our cheap kits as a £5k speaker.

Be very interested on your comments when you move over to listening to a conventional speaker again Phil, assuming you do. I’ve tried to drop a couple of well regarded 2 or 3 way Designs with crossovers and I really missed the immediacy and speed of the XLs.

thanks jake , yes the speed and immediacy is a good way to describe them . i have never played so many vocal tracks as noramlly listen to classic and berlin school mainly . be good to compare them to the harbs when they arrive . might try and listen to mummy horn sometime

advertisement

Back