advertisement

Frugalhorns on tour

Martin J

pfm Member
I bought a pair of Frugal horns from a gentlemen of this parish last year and despite only connecting them up to a Sonos Zone player I really enjoyed them. They produce an image unlike any other speakers I have had and an impressively big sound for such tiny drivers.

I’d like to make the room I have them in more AV oriented so I think it’s time for them to go. I’ve noticed many people are quite curious about them as I was so I though it might be fun to lend them out rather than sell them.

The cabinets are a lightly oiled (I think) ply. One of the driver cones is very slightly warped at the edge but I can’t hear any impact on the sound.

Would any one be interested in borrowing them for a few weeks? I’d ask that you are an established PinkFish member (so >50 posts) and that you pick them up and return them to me in Hudds and post on here to let me and others know what you think.

What a fantastic idea! I have wondered for a while what those sound like, unfortunately my wife would gladly use my balls as earrings if I brought anymore speakers home so reading the reviews will be the next best thing :D

What a kind bloke you are Martin.
Wish I live in blighty not so much to borrow your speakers but just to meet you and shake your hand.

What a marvallous idea. I've got a fair bit of kit dotted around the country but I've only ever done it with friends and work colleagues. It's always nice to hear what other people think of the equipment having had plenty of time to get used to it though.

I'd be fascinated to try the Frugalhorns if and when they become available for a while. I built a pair of the IPL kits a few years ago which I still like a lot and have seen off some much more expensive commercial speakers but I've got the itch for something different. This would certainly tick that box..

fab idea , wish i lived closer

You’re welcome to borrow mine Phil if you want to hear a pair. That offer extends to anyone else in the West Mids with >50 posts. I’m in Solihull.

Hope you don’t mind me offering mine out on loan in your thread Martin - let me know if you do and I will edit my post.

Thanks again Martin, I'm really looking forward to giving these a try.
For the benefit of others I was hoping to get over yesterday but I am currently dying of a cold. I'll get over this week or early next weekend when it suits Martin. I have a nice selection of amps to try with them, ranging from EL34 valves and vintage tranny amps to chipamps and Quad 405 and a 200+ watt Amcron Crown that would put the drivers into orbit if I were silly with the volume knob. Comparison will be with doubled ESL 57s and with cabinet speakers.
What a great scheme!

well thanks to you martin and this thread and james lending me his i hope to hear a pair on the end of my little class a amp !!

Hey Steve. I wouldn’t mind taking a listen when you have them set up as it sounds like you have the gear to do them justice. I’m in Halifax so easy enough to get over to Leeds. I’m looking for something interesting to do myself so it would be good to see if these are my type of sound. Just pm me if it is something you would consider and when/ if you are ready.

Sounds like I'm a lot closer to you James, as I'm based over in Telford. I'd love to hear a pair of these in my system if the offer is there to try them...

What a fantastic idea! I'd like to join the queue please. I'm a bit the other side of York...

Hey Steve. I wouldn’t mind taking a listen when you have them set up as it sounds like you have the gear to do them justice. I’m in Halifax so easy enough to get over to Leeds. I’m looking for something interesting to do myself so it would be good to see if these are my type of sound. Just pm me if it is something you would consider and when/ if you are ready.
Certainly. I might get over tonight if that suits Martin, so once I get them in then consider yourself invited!

Blimey though, Hudds to Hx, you could walk them under the M62!

Certainly. I might get over tonight if that suits Martin, so once I get them in then consider yourself invited!

Blimey though, Hudds to Hx, you could walk them under the M62!

Yeah I am that close :). I sold a lot of my gear when I moved house two years ago so I'm left with a big Denon receiver 3805 and three Martin logan Frescos. I also have a Clearaudio Solutions turntable but I don't have a phono stage to do the cartridge justice. Only the one on the Denon. I stream from a NAS on a mini PC with the digital to the Denon. I still have my Denon 3910 DVD player which I use for CDs if I need to. It's not worth selling as I would get very little for it but is a nice bit of kit.

So yes a listen to something different so I can make some kind of decision on what path to take. I've done Martin Logan Clarities and PMC Transmission line. Must admit the els speakers have been the best so far.

Anyway let me know when your sorted and I will find a time I can have a listen.

Cheers
Mark

My Frugelhorns now enroute to Leeds with a Steve. Great to meet one of the forum members in person. Looking forward to reading how he gets on with them.

Mark and djftw you are both welcome to borrow after Steve.

advertisement

Back