advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

I don't know if this has been asked before, but.

A friend of mine has started to get the collection by subscription and has just received a folder for the pamphlets/inserts. How do you fix the inserts? I presume that you break off the spikes and force them through the holes top and bottom, then the insert acts as a hinge.

I ask as I don't want to wreck his collection , also how often do you get a folder?

With thanks, Dougie.

Google it.
It took me ages to work it out and I couldn't begin to explain it.

I don't know if this has been asked before, but.

A friend of mine has started to get the collection by subscription and has just received a folder for the pamphlets/inserts. How do you fix the inserts? I presume that you break off the spikes and force them through the holes top and bottom, then the insert acts as a hinge.

With thanks, Dougie.

It has been asked before and my answer is post #298 on page 20 of this thread:

I'm learning here myself and it's a bit like an Airfix kit. You need to get the small black plastic pieces shaped like tacks off the spines. I suggest just cutting what you need (2 per issue), I used small side cutters. Be careful to remove any nibs and tidy them up. After some experimentation I think the best way is to insert a tack in the first slot on the bottom edge of the spine, open the booklet at the centre pages and slide it behind the tack then, holding the booklet in place slide the first top tack into place. As I said earlier it's all a bit Heath Robnson, I think I may go back to storing the booklets in the record sleeves.

HTH
Malcolm

This weeks Jazz 33 issue is Benny Carter and his Orchestra - Futher Definitions. This one had me worried at first and even jumping for a test record. In the Listening Guide the reviewer keeps referring to Coleman Hawkins being in the left-hand channel when I clearly hear him in the right-hand channel. Did I have my channels reversed? :( No test record confirms my set up is fine. So unless this mastering of the record has reversed channels the reviewer can't tell his left from his right! :p

Otherwise sounds very good, with the usual high pressing quality. Next up, issue 39 will be Ike Quebec - Blue & Sentimental.

Someone updated on the Steve Hoffman forum that the next few issues will be

40 - Henderson - Page One
41 - Silver - Song for my father
42 - Monk - Misterioso
43 - Ray Brown/Milt Jackson - Music in common
44 - Ahmad Jamal - At the pershing but not for me
45 - mingus mingus mingus mingus mingus

How would one go about buying single issues of this these days? Got a couple of the early issues, but now patiently waiting for Blakey's 'Drum Suite' to materialise. Don't see this series in the shops any more.

Picked up the Ahmad Jamal 'at the pershing' yesterday and just given it a spin. Nice mono mastering and pressing. Thank goodness they had the good taste not to use the electronically reprocessed stereo master. Usual very flat & quiet De Agostini pressing.

Although I know of Jamal I'm not that familiar with his early work. Interesting unique minimalist style, but it does sound a bit like Bill Evans at times in his more melodic passages. I'll have to explore a few more of his recordings.

Next up on Jazz 33 is Mingus, Mingus, Mingus ... I have an original UK mono pressing of this, so it should make an interesting comparison.

I'm still keeping up with quite a few of these as one-off purchases from the website. Do any of you Jazz fans know if any of the releases to date have been of particularly long out of print/hard to find albums? Wouldn't want to miss a classic that couldn't be found elsewhere at a later date if the website eventually stops/they sell out.

Funnily enough my interest in Jazz has bee utterly transformed by this series, but I'm falling quite far behind now with my trying to keep up. Not enough spare time at moment!

Picked up the latest Jazz 33 yesterday - Bill Evans and Jim Hall - 'Intermodulation'. I have just given it a spin. I'm personally glad they choose this album rather than the more famous 'Undercurrent' as I have a good early pressing of that and did not have a copy of 'Intermodulation'.

I'm glad to have a copy of this as musically and sound quality are both good. I'm following spinning it by playing 'Undercurrent' now and it's an interesting comparison. I think they both play with a little more emotion and intensity on 'Undercurrent' and it deserves the number 1 spot. 'Intermodulation' is even more mellow than 'Undercurrent', but still with some great improvising especially from Evans.

Sound wise again both are very good, but different. Interesting that Creed Taylor choose to swop positions of the musicians on 'Intermodulation' from those of Alan Douglas on 'Undercurrent'. Hall on the left this time and Evans on the right. It is more left / right as well and more 'image' specific. Undercurrent does nor have as much 'spread' and Evans piano is bigger (closer miked) with more seperation between his left & right hands. His piano has more 'body', but is not as well located in the soundstage as on 'Intermodulation'. Usual flat pressing and very low noise floor from the Jazz 33 pressing, you can just about hear the tape hiss from the master tape. My pressing of 'Undercurrent' is still pretty good although not quite as quiet.

Overall I prefer 'Undercurrent' on both performance & sound if I was just to have the one recording of this duo, but I'm not disappointed with this issue of 'Intermodulation'.

Next Jazz 33 will be Sonny Rollins - 'The Bridge' that I have an original English pressing of, so that should make another interesting comparison.

Just received 43 and 44. I'm also a long way into the Beatles subscription. I have a lot of the Jazz still sealed as I don't seem to have any listening time lately and anyway Jazz is only a part of my listening. Does anybody know how much further the Jazz series goes?

Mull

Just received 43 and 44. I'm also a long way into the Beatles subscription. I have a lot of the Jazz still sealed as I don't seem to have any listening time lately and anyway Jazz is only a part of my listening. Does anybody know how much further the Jazz series goes?

Mull

At launch DeAgostini were talking of around 80 issues and you can find a list in post #26 of this thread but a cursory glance shows considerable differences between that list and what has been issued so far. The series was issued in Italy first and that ran to 101 issues but there are major differences between that and the UK releases for copyright reasons:

https://www.discogs.com/label/605960-Jazz-33-Giri?page=2

I had 48 from my newsagent last week "Herb Ellis meets Jimmy Guiffre" and 49 is Grant Green "Idle Moments". I think they are still selling quiet well and that is what usually determines if these part works continue. Generally but with a few small reservations, the quality is excellent so I am hoping it will go to the 100+.

Anyone with the Beatles subscription actually received the portable power pack which was supposed to go out with the 8th delivery? I haven't. Assuming decent quality, it would be more use to me that a backpack suitable for a child, or a record mat (Don't use record mats on my Orbe) :)

I have only just got around to playing the Jazz 33 pressing of Drum Suite by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers. Well that is what it says it is! Cover correct, DeAgostine booklet correct, Columbia 6 eye labels correct, but the record both sides of the pressing IS NOT Drum Suite or Art Blakey. Drum Suite has 3 tracks a side. This has 5 tracks on side 1 & 4 tracks on side 2. Completely different instrumentation. I not been able to identify it on a brief part playing, but it is a Jazz Rock record from early 70's, possibly Jaco Pastorios on bass?

All very strange. Anyone else got this Jazz 33 and have the same problem. Not sure how I explain this to my Newsagent and get it exchanged??? :mad::(:confused:

advertisement

Back