advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

Do you have Shazam or similar on a smart phone? That might be able to identify the album.

I’m a couple of LPs behind, received volumes 49 and 50 this morning.

Thanks, I didn't think about doing this. Just loaded Shazam on my IPad. I'll give it a try with this LP later.

Still wondering if others apart from me have the same problem. Obviously some mix up at the Pressing Plant and I would expect in that case for it to have happened with more than one copy?

Arse. I've been waiting ages for Drum Suite to order online and now don't want to risk it if they're sending out mislabelled copies of something different.

I have messaged DeAgostine detailing the problem and asked for a replacement. They say they will get back to me within 48 hours.

Knackers! Checked out the thread update wondering if it was the news about Drum Suite that I've asked for several times.....and this!!

Well if this were the Beatles or Pink Floyd I expect it would be worth a small fortune so worth having, but probably not in this case. ;)
Mind you if I can just get them to send the Drum Suite LP only and the cover & booklet for Jaco Pastorius for free then at least I get something out of the mess up! :)

Well if this were the Beatles or Pink Floyd I expect it would be worth a small fortune so worth having, but probably not in this case. ;)
Mind you if I can just get them to send the Drum Suite LP only and the cover & booklet for Jaco Pastorius for free then at least I get something out of the mess up! :)
This lot already messed up with A Hard Days Night by missing a fraction of a second off that iconic opening chord. I have 2 copies!

Well the only good thing about the response from DeAgostine so far is they got back to me in about 24 hours following an immediate automated response noting recipe of my e mail. Not a very inspiring response from a 'real person' who should have read what I said though.

Basically the reply was "Thank you for your order please send us your address". That is all. I wasn't placing an order, just seeking a replacement for their error with the LP that I described in detail.

So try again, giving my address, but also pointing out with web links that this is a wide issue that many have already reported to them. So please check you are sending me the correct LP as a replacement as the issue does not seem to have been resolved yet.

I'll probably still get another wrong copy!

I now have another issue with number 52 Joe Pass - for Django. Easily visible pressing fault on side one track 3 that clicks for about 30 seconds even after cleaning and a few more random clicks and plops. I have always praised this series of LP's for being some of the flattest and quietest I have. I have only had to return one out of about 50 (number 7 Ella & Louis) which is pretty remarkable. There is a rumour that they have recently changed their pressing plant, but it seems from my latest experience this is for the worst. I should get Miles - Milestones next week, so I wonder what that will be like?

You need to escalate to a manager. The normal help desk types will just work to a script. This guy based in South Africa usually sorts out my Beatles delivery errors and apparently has escalated the AHDN issue.

[email protected]

Well I picked up issue 53 Milestones yesterday and I am glad to say it a return to the previous standard. Pressing flat and quiet and mastering is very good, especially on 'Philly' Joe Jone's drums.

I had a further reply following chasing them up regarding the their mess up over issue 51. They are now saying they are aware of the mispressing problem, but are awaiting feedback from the production department.

Next issue 54 for those interested is the Tatum Group Masterpieces - Art Tatum & Ben Webster.

DeAgostini have still not sorted out the Issue 51 Art Drum Suite problem and from what I hear if you order it from their site where it is still listed in the back issues you get still get the Jaco Pastorius ?! :(

Picked up issue 55 this week. Freddie Hubbard - "Ready For Freddie" and glad to say that it's correct and sounds very good. :) Next up is Roland Kirk - 'We Free Kings'.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but just to show they do fix stuff, eventually, I have just received a copy of A Hard Day's Night with the opening chord error resolved at last.

Slightly off topic but just to show they do fix stuff, eventually, I have just received a copy of A Hard Day's Night with the opening chord error resolved at last.

That's good to know. Hopefully they will still sort the Drum Suite problem soon. They are still saying it's with their 'technical dept." I don't know why when they have recognised the problem that they are still listing it for sale on their web site though?

Last edited:
DeAgostini have still not sorted out the Issue 51 Art Drum Suite problem and from what I hear if you order it from their site where it is still listed in the back issues you get still get the Jaco Pastorius ?! :(

I’m a few releases behind you. Received the Art Blakey just over a week ago. Played it today and guess what? It’s Jaco. An email has been sent and I’m waiting for their response.

I’m a few releases behind you. Received the Art Blakey just over a week ago. Played it today and guess what? It’s Jaco. An email has been sent and I’m waiting for their response.

Well don't expect a quick intelligent response as 'the right hand clearly does not know what the left hand is doing'. I'm going to chase them again tomorrow. Clearly RickyC6 is luckier with a proper response with the Beatles problem disc.

Well don't expect a quick intelligent response as 'the right hand clearly does not know what the left hand is doing'. I'm going to chase them again tomorrow. Clearly RickyC6 is luckier with a proper response with the Beatles problem disc.

Oh this took a while believe, me. But I actually got somewhere by contacting the guy who's email I mentioned a few posts up the page. Strongly suggest you contact him. Might as well refer to how he's organised sorting the Beatles error if it helps him understand your issue.

I’ve had an email back apologising and saying I should have replacements in 14 days - there was also a Sonny Rollins LP with excessive surface noise. I’m fully expecting the Blakey replacement to be another Jaco recording <grin>.

Still waiting on a correct 'Drum Suite', but picked up Roland Kirk - 'We Free Kings' (issue 56) yesterday from my newsagent.

This a a great recording and remastering, although I don't have an early version to compare, sounding excellent so I doubt one would be much better.

Really good dynamics and a sense of space around the instrumentalists, especially Charlie Persip's drums. It would have been so easy to push this recording into 'hardness' on Kirk's flute and manzello solos, but these sound just right! Good flat and quiet pressing again, so a return to form.

Next up is Wayne Shorter - 'The Soothsayer'.

advertisement

Back