advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

Yes this is an annoying nuisance as the release order is not the same as the Italian list. I do not want to subscribe as I have quite a few of those on the Italian list that I don't really want a second (or third or fourth ;) ) pressing of.

I'm ordering from my newsagent, who needs to order them two weeks in advance. The only solution so far is to open the packaging of the one I am picking up and look on the back of the magazine to see what the next issue is and tell them if I want it , but if I don't want it I will not know what comes after that. :mad:

The discs they have issued are in the same order as the Italian list. What they have done is to miss out issues on specific labels which I think must have something to do with copyright problems.

I have been very impressed by the quality of what I've received on subscription and with the instant 'no quibble' replacement service when there have been quality problems. I was considering stopping my subscription and just buying those issues I really want on back order but this morning their shop only lists issues 1 to 5. I'm sure I remember seeing later issues there and wonder if they are now out of stock? I know that part works reduce their print run as the series progresses.

I'm sure there are enough subscribers on PFM to keep us informed of what the next issue is going to be, maybe we could have a sticky at the top of the thread?

I really want on back order but this morning their shop only lists issues 1 to 5. I'm sure I remember seeing later issues there and wonder if they are now out of stock? I know that part works reduce their print run as the series progresses.

I'm sure there are enough subscribers on PFM to keep us informed of what the next issue is going to be, maybe we could have a sticky at the top of the thread?

They continue to link the wrong back issues pages and the correct ones are difficult to find but they are here:
http://shop.deagostini.co.uk/filter-by/back-issues/jazz-at-33-rpm/

Ok this months LP's have arrived and we have Wayne Shorter Speak no evil as expected and also Sonny Rollins Alfie Soundtrack which wasn't expected nor I believe on the Italian list. Anyway the Wayne Shorter is new to me but a nice clean pressing as usual. Haven't spun Alfie yet.

Next one after Sonny Rollins will be Bill Evans Trio 64.

Ok this months LP's have arrived and we have Wayne Shorter Speak no evil as expected and also Sonny Rollins Alfie Soundtrack which wasn't expected nor I believe on the Italian list. Anyway the Wayne Shorter is new to me but a nice clean pressing as usual. Haven't spun Alfie yet.

Next one after Sonny Rollins will be Bill Evans Trio 64.

Just to avoid confusion
This of us who subscribed earliest in the issue this month got Wayne a Shorter Speak No Evil and Sketches of Spain...

Thats interesting Bob as that means you are one behind me and others. I subscribed fairly early, after Billie Holiday I think.

I subscribed the week the first album came out.

There are lots of us who seem out of kilter in records we receive.

As I understand it those, like me, who started a subscription with issue 1 are one issue behind those who bought issue 1 in the shops and started their subscription with issue 2. The former had mailings of issues 1 & 2, 3 & 4, etc. whilst the latter had mailings of issues 2 & 3, 4 & 5, etc.

Wayne Shorter 'Speak No Evil'. Is this another Mono in a Stereo cover?

If not it's a blooming narrow soundstage. Lovely sound all the same. What does anyone else think?

Wayne Shorter 'Speak No Evil'. Is this another Mono in a Stereo cover?

If not it's a blooming narrow soundstage. Lovely sound all the same. What does anyone else think?

I made a similar comment earlier. To my ears the DeAgostini Blue Notes have an extremely narrow soundstage, just like the RVG CDs.

My local Asda are still selling copies. Picked up
Alfie the other day and still impressed.

Agreed on the narrow soundstage on the blue note stuff. Coming from "speak no evil" to "Alfie" is like I'm listening on a different system

Just played the Ornette Coleman - New York is Now, Blue Note reissue that I collected from my Newsagent this morning. Sounds excellent and with a pretty wide soundstage on my system. Of course great music.

Next issue will be Charlie Haden - Liberation Music Orchestra. I have an original pressing of this, but despite my resolve not to buy issues where I have a good copy I have ordered it just to compare.

Generally I have found that where I have an original or good early pressing I have preferred these, but most of the De Agostini's are pretty good and usually are a quieter pressing, but then I have either brought these S/H and/or have been playing them for 40 - 50+ years. :D

I have brought 17 out of 19 Jazz 33's so far and only had to return one, the Ella & Louis, that some others had a problem with.

If New York is Now is the same Optimal pressing as the 75th anniversary edition, they have made a good job of it. I like the gatefold sleeve and the large colour photo of Ornette composing in the studio. I assume the DeAgostini is the same. And of course it's got Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones. Essential.

Yes it is the gatefold sleeve with Ornette composing with only a tiny bit of text on the other side and on the reproduced Blue Note label indicating Jazz 33. All these De Agostini's have had very faithful representations of the original sleeves and labels.

I don't think this is an Optimal pressing though (no Optimal mark in the dead wax), I'm fairly certain that they are all being pressed by Phonopress Paullo in Italy where De Agostini first issued the series. The pressings though are really excellent, very quiet and flat. I have quite a few of the Blue Note 75 Optimals and while pretty good and much better than the United pressing of the same, I would say the pressing quality of the Jazz 33's is consistently better still, with the one exception I mention above.

Does the Blue Note 75 mastering have, as the original released issue, the Mel Fuhrman vocal overdub on 'Now we interrupt for a Commercial' or the later CD version with the band members doing the vocal as originally recorded?

Listening to the Charlie Haden Liberation Music Orchestra now that I picked up yesterday. Still sounds pretty radical. Think I will dig out my copy of 'The Ballard of the Fallen' or 'Escalator Over the Hill' to follow :)

Next issue Jazz 33 issue will be Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson.

That will certainly be different. De Agostini have to be applauded for covering such a range of Jazz and mixing the releases. They are not going for just the safe options sales wise, although of course it is still difficult for buyers to know what is coming next. I wonder if some of the more avant garde ones (at least in their day) are seeing more returns?

No doubt buoyed by the success of the Jazz on 33 1/3 series, DeAgostini are planning a Beatles vinyl series now along the same lines. If the sound quality is up there with the Jazz issues I may well be picking up a few of these too. Fingers crossed for a £5 introductory offer on a fully reproduced, top-opening gatefold White Album with inserts :cool:

EDIT: Just seen this "All single albums: £16.99, all double and triple albums £24.99". Ah well. Assuming the triples are the Anthologies £25 doesn't sound too bad.

Rumour has it (Steve Hoffman forum) that it will include all the Anthologies and BBC Sessions etc.

See here http://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/beatles-vinyl-collection/

Anyone seen these in the shops yet?

Looking at the pricing on the subscription page it doesn't look like there will be a low priced teaser to suck us all in!

advertisement

Back