advertisement

De-Naimification Complete!! I Feel Cleansed...or do I?

I think Naim was at it's zenith when Julian Vereker was alive.

The kit had a great reputation in the 80's & 90's as to fab sound for enthusiasts at affordable (but not cheap) prices.

It arguably gathered a cult like following during the flat earth & PRaT years as far as HiFi sound philosophy in the UK went during that era.

I owned a CDI, 72/Hi-Cap/180/SBL's which at the time thought would last me forever, with the only 'upgrade' on the horizon being to go fully active.

Times & technology changes and AV came along, creating enough interest for me that my 'active' plans became AV plans, which is where the rot started really, as I found Naim's AV solution and attitude towards AV at the time, less than desirable.

I ended up adding on 9000ES Sony components to my Naim electronics for initially AV purposes, but eventually sold off all the Naim electronics in favour of Sony ES on performance grounds for both AV and dedicated 2 channel music listening.

After a decade with the Naim electronics, and another near decade with the Sony kit, driving my Naim SBL's, I finally made the jump to a fully active system, which also combined both serious music listening and AV, with the purchase of a B&O system.

Naim is great kit, no doubt about it. But I think the whole ethos has changed completely out of sight since Vereker sadly passed away, and with the eventual takeover by Focal, and now run by an investment company.

I really enjoyed my time with Naim from a performance POV, but did find it high maintenance, with all the leaving on, 'warming up' for a couple of weeks to sound it's supposed best rituals, which eventually weighed quite heavily against it in terms of ownership satisfaction and convenience.

I have no regrets about moving on from Naim at all, and can see no reason why I would ever go back to the brand.

I heard Naims modern 'best' - the statement amp, fronted by Naim electronics and Naim Ovator 600 speakers at a Naim road show. It was very, very good - no doubt about it, being one of the best amps in the context of a separates system that I have heard.

However, I did not hear anything that a pair of Classe mono blocks and a pair of B&W 800D's would not do, and at A$220,000 for the statement amp, and A$350,000 for the total Naim system as heard, I would also say it was one of the most overpriced and poor value HiFi setups I've ever heard as well.

Given that A$350,000 buys one a brand new 3 bedroom house in outer Melbourne suburbs, that is what Naim are competing against when it comes to value - the price of a house + land - and to my mind it's very much wanting.

But horses for courses, and some will have the money and the audiophile obsession to splash out on it, and good luck to them.

But I have certainly heard much better (as in more AUTHENTIC) sound for a good third of the price, - hence my comment about not being tempted on sonic and value for money grounds to go back to the brand, speaking personally of course.

Cheers :)

Jonboi I am in broad agreement, I chased the NAIM dragon for a number of years, believing the next box would do this, the next upgrade does that, I just ran out of time money and patience to keep chasing the dream. That was NDS.

It is brilliant kit and really has taught me a lot about higher end and what can be done, but there are alternatives and I am finding a new lease of life looking at the alternatives.

Not sure I have outgrown NAIM but certainly I feel I want to move on from their sound signature/presentation and hear something new and different.

I have NDS, 555DR, 552/300DR with Ovator S400 all on Fraim.
Only the 552 was bought new but at a big discount, the other bits are either 2nd hand or ex demo.
I was happy with it all when I bought it and still am. I bought it because that's what I liked when I auditioned it. I see no reason to go looking to spend more or change anything. I bought it to keep.
I'm sure all this Naim talk about running in, warming up and not letting a cable touch a floor is the same story with a lot of other manufacturers equipment. I set my system up as neatly as I can (because that's what I'm like) and just put some music on and enjoy it.

When I had (then) upper level Naim, I, with other Naim owner friends, heard the benefits of dedicated radial supplies. This over a period of many years.

Having now moved on, I wonder what it is about Naim (and probably other s/s amplification etc.) which benefitted from this (theoretical ) lowering of impedance, and came to the conclusion that it was the toroidal trannies. This has been endorsed as feasible by others on here.

Not at all sure my 8 cable installation has real sonic benefit to my valved stuff, but there can't be negatives; convenience, isolation (of supply) and safety are still there.

Jonboi I am in broad agreement, I chased the NAIM dragon for a number of years, believing the next box would do this, the next upgrade does that, I just ran out of time money and patience to keep chasing the dream. That was NDS.

It is brilliant kit and really has taught me a lot about higher end and what can be done, but there are alternatives and I am finding a new lease of life looking at the alternatives.

Not sure I have outgrown NAIM but certainly I feel I want to move on from their sound signature/presentation and hear something new and different.

One has a choice to not chase the dragons even when staying with Naim. If you run out of money you just stop spending. Easy as that. The temptation of better sound with higher level Naim gear will always be there. If one has the willpower he will be able to resist the temptation. Most importantly is the system sounds enjoyable to the listener, and it does not matter if the gear is a Nait 5i.

The posts made by Jonboi and Ellenor made a lot of sense. There are a lot of choices out there and one is not limited to Naim alone. It is good to have alternatives for a different sound or presentation. After all, life is all about having different options and choices. Having said that, temptation will still be prevalent if staying outside of Naim especially if one suffers from upgraditis. In the end, all the notion of having the upgrade syndrome if staying within Naim is a false one methinks. It all depends on the individual himself.

I have NDS, 555DR, 552/300DR with Ovator S400 all on Fraim.

I have the exact same setup, and enjoy listening to it every day. I split time between the NDS and a WT GTA/EMT JSD 6/SuperLine. No desire to change.

Good Lord, George, you are the last person on earth I would expect to be banned from the Green Forum...:eek: :confused: (although, I wondered where you'd gone these last few months)

What on earth did you do to upset Richard D?

I bet it was all the "Troughline talk" :D:D

Not really. It was talk of the old Quad II and having no Naim pieces left, and probably the fact the to my ears the basic MDAC is better than any digital source Naim produce.

I had no Naim pieces left, and so resigned the Naim Forum.

Mr Dane was not happy for me to discuss music in the [Naim Forum] Music Room, but things move apace! I have found so many recordings worth the attention of music lovers ...

A MAC Mini [iTunes in AIFF from CDs] and an MDAC feeding a single Quad II Forty of fifteen years age [onto an original ESL made in 1957 but serviced Easter last year] simply beats anything Naim made at any price might be his motivation!

So my contributions will be about the “disc”-coveries of the last couple of years.

G

[Having said that, temptation will still be prevalent if staying outside of Naim especially if one suffers from upgraditis. In the end, all the notion of having the upgrade syndrome if staying within Naim is a false one methinks. It all depends on the individual himself.[/QUOTE]

I know..you make perfect sense....except for one little thing...I can resist everything, except temptation!! Lol!

Ok...so I borrowed that from Oscar Wilde...but I suppose that HiFI is one of the few interests/hobbies that can be improved/changed/tweaked by swapping/adding/upgrading individual components. So that (in theory) one can improve one's enjoyment of the reproduced sound in one's own home. This (almost) inevitably leads to aspiring to acquire different components (at least in my case....and I'm a fickle soul who is easily tempted!).

My thread was always intended to be light-hearted and not to invoke a "serious" discussion about whether Naim is good or not. It most certainly IS good....but it maybe doesn't suit everyone..for a variety of reasons.

Simply put...if you are happy with whatever setup you have...then wonderful...stay with that! If you feel that there is something better (for your ears/needs) then by all means go for it....should you be in a position to do so. After all...it's what gives this Forum a purpose.

Otherwise...we could possibly ask pfm to create a new Forum entitled perhaps:-

"For those who are happy with their System and who don't really want to discuss changing anything in it"

...Hey...you know that might just catch on!! Lol!

Not really. It was talk of the old Quad II and having no Naim pieces left, and probably the fact the to my ears the basic MDAC is better than any digital source Naim produce.

I had no Naim pieces left, and so resigned the Naim Forum.

Mr Dane was not happy for me to discuss music in the [Naim Forum] Music Room, but things move apace! I have found so many recordings worth the attention of music lovers ...

A MAC Mini [iTunes in AIFF from CDs] and an MDAC feeding a single Quad II Forty of fifteen years age [onto an original ESL made in 1957 but serviced Easter last year] simply beats anything Naim made at any price might be his motivation!

So my contributions will be about the “disc”-coveries of the last couple of years.

G

I think George is being modest here. I have it on good authority that George's move to monophonic sent ripples through the industry which foresaw it's already modest growth rate cut in half. There was even a seminar at CES on the "George Effect". I think his banning was an attempt to isolate the trend before it got out of hand.

I think George is being modest here. I have it on good authority that George's move to monophonic sent ripples through the industry which foresaw it's already modest growth rate cut in half. There was even a seminar at CES on the "George Effect". I think his banning was an attempt to isolate the trend before it got out of hand.

In related news, the world of cycling sees North Road bars returning as well... ;)

You will all be pleased to know that George is on top form, and when he visited us last Friday evening a fine selection of Haydn pieces conducted by Mogens Woldike was enjoyed, albeit in 2 channel mode.

Jono

The phenomenon of mono replay on a suitable high quality speaker designed for the task, like the ESL is vexed, because most people have never heard an adequate pure mono arrangement, but mostly mono on a speaker designed with stereo in mind, or dual mono from two [stereo speakers], and these give almost no idea how fine pure single channel mono can be from “one” purpose designed speaker. A suitable speaker will not sound as a point source! Even two stereo speakers in dual mono will produce a very precise point source image [and collapsed scale] between the two speakers. Strangely the ESL produces a sound that does not sound as a point source, but rather sounds as if the performers are some distance behind the speaker [dictated by the original recording] on a stage as wide as the width of the speaker, but without any actual directionality for individual instruments. This mimics rather accurately the effect of a live concert in a normal concert venue, where the spread of the instruments is certainly not a question of being able to pin-point them [except with the eyes open] in the ensemble. Mono also removes the false sense of separation of the instruments, which though frequently praised in terms of clever hifi artifice is actually totally alien to real performance in almost every case. Players in orchestra sit as close together as possible so as to keep ensemble tight and focussed through careful listening to each other.

Mono will never catch on again though it deserves to.

Best wishes from George

Mono will never catch on again though it deserves to.

Best wishes from George

The original Quad 57 was excellent and works as mono too

In fact many vinyl owners put a mono cartridge on a secondary TT and reserve their mono vinyl for this purpose

I have heard a few mono sessions during decades and sometime it was scary good

George, your into something right there

Hi,

Your speakers look lovely.

I don't mean to be rude, but your room is far too small. You should be ideally be firing down the room. From how you have them set up, you must be getting standing waves at your listening position. This will be shown as boomy bass or bass that is over whelming. Plus your left speaker is in the corner, probably more bass from left channel than right?

Maybe a few bass traps will sort some issues?

Yes, that was me (aka spacey), I posted a thread discussing TQBs and Colin etc. Can't even mention his name on the forum without the post/thread being pulled.

Yep I can't understand why but hey who cares, YES the TQ cables I designed when I owned CatchXXII before TQ was even born, and I did offer NoNaim the cable designs has I was doing some other RD work for them, just before Focal was involved, and due to money I was laided off, but as a contractor that was no problem, then on to Cambridge Audio and more fun, a well thought out company I liked it there, until I had a heart attack and fell down Waterloo Escalators and that was the end for me, so I started TQ. And the rest is history and shit sorry not shit , oh I can't think of a softer word.

Yep I can't understand why but hey who cares, YES the TQ cables I designed when I owned CatchXXII before TQ was even born, and I did offer NoNaim the cable designs has I was doing some other RD work for them, just before Focal was involved, and due to money I was laided off, but as a contractor that was no problem, then on to Cambridge Audio and more fun, a well thought out company I liked it there, until I had a heart attack and fell down Waterloo Escalators and that was the end for me, so I started TQ. And the rest is history and shit sorry not shit , oh I can't think of a softer word.

Shit seams like the right adjective there Colin.. anyhow things look as if they've worked out for all involved as far as I see!! Hope you're in good health now and recovered/ing well.....

The naim forum can be a very tetchy place some days.... much prefer the 'free-speech' available here on PFM :)

Hi,

Your speakers look lovely.

I don't mean to be rude, but your room is far too small. You should be ideally be firing down the room. From how you have them set up, you must be getting standing waves at your listening position. This will be shown as boomy bass or bass that is over whelming. Plus your left speaker is in the corner, probably more bass from left channel than right?

Maybe a few bass traps will sort some issues?

Hi...yes I agree on all points...but sadly I have a small house at present and my living room is what it is! Oh well. I will at some point re-arrange so that (as you say) the speakers face along the room's length rather than across...but I'm in the process of ...let's say..." a conscious uncoupling"...so until that is fully sorted out, things will stay as they are. Thanks for your comments though :)

Fascinating thread, 40 yrs ago I had Thorens/Rotel/Some Spkrs, It sounded fine. I moved to Naim 42/110 with LP12/Ittok/Trak/MA 552 and it was wunnerful. I heard stuff further up the line and it was better but I couldn't afford it and didn't really need the difference.

After many years and lots of changes I am, finally, in a better place, LP12/Naim/Briks: for me source first has proved right. Find a good dealer, listen, buy only if convinced.

I've not gone into detail cos I made a few little mistakes YMMV etc but for me Linn/Naim still cut the mustard and play great tunes, I have no need to change and enjoy my records. Presentation can change but connection to the music is all.

advertisement

Back