advertisement

De-Naimification Complete!! I Feel Cleansed...or do I?

Certainly the Carlton is still on the top line, now fitted with the best Michelin tyres that can be had. smooth and so little rollling resistance. I took it to Norfolk last weekend, but in the end I spent three days in good company not riding the bike at all!

Thanks for your reply!

The gramophone is now as fine as my rather classical bike!

ATB from George

Certainly the Carlton is till on the top line, now fitted with the best Michelin tyres that can be had. smooth and so little rollling resistance. I took it to Norfolk last weekend, but in the end I spent three days in good company not riding the bike at all!

Thanks for your reply!

The gramophone is now as fine as my rather classical bike!

ATB from George

George

I miss your wide insight in classical music replay, hope to read more from your hand

A bit surpriced you did let down that Naim stuff you praised so much on the green forum, not sure if you deleted the comments
Vintage Quad gear is excellent too

Anyway hope to read more goodies from you soon

Have a nice day

ATB

Ah Mr Fiske I presume. One of the only contributors I miss from the green place.

Perhaps I shall pay more attention to the Music discussion threads from now on!

Cheers

George

I miss your wide insight in classical music replay, hope to read more from your hand

A bit surpriced you did let down that Naim stuff you praised so much on the green forum, not sure if you deleted the comments
Vintage Quad gear is excellent too

Anyway hope to read more goodies from you soon

Have a nice day

ATB
You are very kind. I would say that Naim make very fine equipment, and when I came to it in 2000 the Nait 3 was a clear step up from the alternatives at the price, and so I started my Naim ownership of nearly sixteen years.

I suppose my conversion to Quad happened about five years ago when I got a pair of ESLs.

Somehow, though the received wisdom has it that the ESL is a very good match for Naim amplification, I eventually found that a suitable Quad valve amp served the purpose as a perfect match. No risk of over-driving the speaker, and extra-ordinary clarity ...

I like the MDAC very much too.

So, while I am not going to waste much effort on praising the ESL based arrangement here, when I saw this thread, I thought it would not be completely without value to post.

Certainly I am grateful for the replay I had from my Naim pieces. Not glad to see them go so much as even more delighted by what I have now!

I hope that I may add some value in the PFM Music Room.

I have continued to find more and more lovely recordings, and very much within the firmly focussed repertoire I love the best!

Best wishes from George

You are very kind. I would say that Naim make very fine equipment, and when I came to it in 2000 the Nait 3 was a clear step up from the alternatives at the price, and so I started my Naim ownership of nearly sixteen years.

I suppose my conversion to Quad happened about five years ago when I got a pair of ESLs.

Somehow, though the received wisdom has it that the ESL is a very good match for Naim amplification, I eventually found that a suitable Quad valve amp served the purpose as a perfect match. No risk of over-driving the speaker, and extra-ordinary clarity ...

I like the MDAC very much too.

So, while I am not going to waste much effort on praising the ESL based arrangement here, when I saw this thread, I thought it would not be completely without value to post.

Certainly I am grateful for the replay I had from my Naim pieces. Not glad to see them go so much as even more delighted by what I have now!

I hope that I may add some value in the PFM Music Room.

I have continued to find more and more lovely recordings, and very much within the firmly focussed repertoire I love the best!

Best wishes from George

Good to hear you're still enjoying music from an excellent setup, George, I have but a small classical collection but I'd imagine over 30% of it was on your recommendations.

ATB,

John.

.sjb

Dear John,

Expect some further recos in the Music Room!

Some time since Mr R Dane saw fit to ban me from posting on the Naim Forum, and that sealed the deal concerning my attitude to the company, but I could have continued in the Naim Music Room usefully, I think.

My interest is music, and how best to domesticate it for home listening. ...

But the point on a hifi forum is significant performance on record [CD, download, whatever] and how this aligns with experience of the real “concert” as such when replayed at home.

Sometimes the best performance of a given piece of music may well be on a recording as you never attend a concert of it nearly as good.

A couple of years ago I thought that I had exhausted the archive of favourite music in phenomenal performances, and over time it does get harder to find a revelatory unknown [by me] performance on records, but I am still surprising myself!

So watch the PFM Music Room for my “disc”coveries!

I am surpised to have been recognised here.

Very best wishes from George

Hi George, long time no see... I miss you over in the other place. Are you still enjoying your Leak Troughline and your balanced fed antennas? I saw no mention of them earlier.
Cheers
Simon

...and a hello from me too George. I'm still enjoying the many classical albums you recommended so I shall also be looking out for more from you on the Music forum.

Best wishes! Tonym.

Hi George, long time no see... I miss you over in the other place. Are you still enjoying your Leak Troughline and your balanced fed antennas? I saw no mention of them earlier.
Cheers
Simon

I had great fun with my two more than fifty year old Troughlines, but in the end I have given both to a friend who has more patience than me with their reliability. I am very modest about my abilities to repair and solder things. I’ll tackle a transistor radio, but high tension or something of value is for the professionals, so the repairs on the old radios soon became un-economic. When working properly both were superb. It would be nice to get even one going that well for a decent length of time!

Really the complete set of capacitors and resistors would need to be renewed if I was to get one of them to a reliable state, and that is not all that inexpensive.

I also gave my balanced aerial away to an enthusiast, who likes it very much and is using it!

These days I am relying on streamed Radio Three via the MAC. Actually it is quite good, though not to VHF standards yet in my opinion.

The BBC need to make a permanent FLAC quality stream for Radio Three at least for VHF to be equalled or improved on.

Very best wishes from George

Some time since Mr R Dane saw fit to ban me from posting on the Naim Forum
Good Lord, George, you are the last person on earth I would expect to be banned from the Green Forum...:eek: :confused: (although, I wondered where you'd gone these last few months)

What on earth did you do to upset Richard D?

I bet it was all the "Troughline talk" :D:D

Good Lord, George, you are the last person on earth I would expect to be banned from the Green Forum...:eek: :confused: (although, I wondered where you'd gone these last few months)

What on earth did you do to upset Richard D?

I bet it was all the "Troughline talk" :D:D

I believe they have expanded their moderation rules after investment took over Naim Focal ownership

After all you can hardly make a serious discussion in there unless its Naim Focal only
TBH they do allow people to say if they think Utopia's are sh*t and if they say they prefer their 135 to 500.

I noticed they had heavy moderation when some people tried to discuss Colin Wonfor's involvement with developing speaker wires for Naim.
Not sure if this involvement was before Tellurium Q era.
It is well known Avondale is forbidden words too

I noticed they had heavy moderation when some people tried to discuss Colin Wonfor's involvement with developing speaker wires for Naim.
Not sure if this involvement was before Tellurium Q era.
It is well known Avondale is forbidden words too

Yes, that was me (aka spacey), I posted a thread discussing TQBs and Colin etc. Can't even mention his name on the forum without the post/thread being pulled.

Remember their forum is there to promote their products. Imagine the sales it creates for the company.

No Classified section, impossible to contact other members direct, no links to other products allowed etc etc etc.

One of the things that struck me at Munich High End last month was just how different Naim sounded to most other kit. I spent some time in the Kudos room which was running NDS / 555 / 552 / 500 into their 606, 707, and 808 speakers. The demo track was Fleetwood Mac's Chain.
The sound felt lightweight, with quite a thin texture to it. This is not to say it wasn't full-bandwidth - it was, esp with the 808's - but rather a narrow presentation. There was plenty of detail and was v musical, and overall v enjoyable.
This observation is not to say the Naim presentation as heard here was wrong as such, just different. I can see why many people enjoy this style - me included to a degree - and Naim deserve credit for doing something different. I should also add there are plenty of caveats around my observation, not least of which are one track, one speaker manufacturer, one room etc. It was none-the-less striking.

Couldn't even been the mastering of file being played.

True, but at the same time of all the millions of tracks that could have been used, I would assume some time and thought had gone into one that would (a) highlight the differences in the speakers, and (b) give a very good account of the overall system.

advertisement

Back