advertisement

DAC Tour

Thanks Clive,
Yes could I reiterate some things I think I posted before:
- Can auditioners use the playback software Jplaymini if using a PC. The program is contained in the demo download from here jplay.eu/download
- Please move this on in a week which is plenty of time to get to know the sound of it. It's not fair to others to hold it for longer. If you are not able to audition it in this time period then please don't take it.
- Can you send it onwards by registered post & post a tracking number when done!

The DACs are designed to deliver top quality sound. I have recommended Jplay as a first step towards this goal & to make at least one variable common across all auditions. It takes 5 mins to download & install. Note that it won't play MP3 files as it also is designed for best sound.

It doesn't make sense to audition the DACs otherwise - you are not hearing them as intended!.

HI john, can you please add me to the list (Address PMed). As a Mac/AV+ user I'm wondering if you will be able to offer a HifaceTwo version soon? your DACs will be going up against my Metrum Octave, so we should have an interesting comparason.

Many thanks

Dan

HI john, can you please add me to the list (Address PMed). As a Mac/AV+ user I'm wondering if you will be able to offer a HifaceTwo version soon? your DACs will be going up against my Metrum Octave, so we should have an interesting comparason.

Many thanks

Dan

Sure Dan,
I have looked into the Hiface 2 & won't be using it for a number of reasons, the main one being sound.

The DAC has already been auditioned against a Metrum Octave - it depends on what you are driving the Metrum with.

What do you recommend for Mac users who can't use JPLAY mini?

I recommend you get a PC :)

No, seriously, I don't know - I haven't compared the Mac playback with what I have.
You can always try Jplay in PC emulation mode on the Mac, I guess - what's it called Bootcamp :)

Sure Dan,
I have looked into the Hiface 2 & won't be using it for a number of reasons, the main one being sound.

The DAC has already been auditioned against a Metrum Octave - it depends on what you are driving the Metrum with.

Was this published? Details please :)

Also, if the HiFace2 is no good, then what is? ...'A PC and JPlay with a HiFace1'

Tour is now finished! I'm not taking any more names for inclusion - no point in PMing me.

It would be good to get some impressions from Ians1 & Bav who have auditioned the DACs recently!

I'd like to say thanks for the trial John, I really enjoyed the dac whilst it was here.

I hope it was successful for you.

I had an opportunity to join the JK’s DAC tour. I wasn’t sure what to expect as no-one had done a direct comparison to my current DAC, I’d never heard a battery power supplied DAC or a passive output stage. Since I am currently on the market to improve my digital front end at some point in the near future, it was a great opportunity.

My system consists of a Mac Mini –> M-DAC ->Hypex Ncore mono-blocks (with reduced gain) -> PMC OB1i signature speakers. My system is extremely transparent and pretty neutral from the amps down; therefore I can generally hear small changes to my system.
I was worried I wouldn’t get the best out of the DAC since; I don’t have a volume control and only balanced input into my amps. I therefore had to use Pure music to work as my attenuator (turns out to be a decent dither) and I purchased some Neutrik RCA to XLR adaptors for the test. I needn’t have worried the DAC turned out to be really impressive.

I am not very good at describing what I hear – however since John took the time to organise a tour I felt obliged to write something.

The first thing I noticed was the tone change from the M-DAC. It wasn’t quite as bright. Now that didn’t mean the highs were now more recessed or less sparkly. It just had more of an analogue tone, which I MUCH preferred. Before listening to the JK32, I would never have thought that my existing system was bright, however going back to it my current setup… That was the way it felt. The only downside to the tone was at really low volumes it could sound slightly flat however once past 75-80db the tone became energetic. (This could be due to pure music acting as the attenuator)

Imaging was really good with the JKDAC. It had the depth that I am used too but slightly more width. I think the biggest change was how it presented music in-between the speakers. It is very central image prominent. Everything around the central image is spaced out around it which allowed for a high level of separation. Much more than what I was used too. I had to play around with settings to match the separation. At the moment, certain songs I have the vocals get lost in the music, I expect more for the financial outlay of my current system.

The PRAT was there. Enough Said.

Only criticism would be the bass, wasn’t quite as deep as I was used to.

I would recommend anyone to try it – I won’t be buying it. The sole reason is because it would be too hard to try and fit it into my system. However some point in the future I am planning another system around the house where that could be the music source.

Thank You, Seb
Much appreciate your post of impressions & your sentiment expressed in "however since John took the time to organise a tour I felt obliged to write something." All I asked in return for auditioning the devices was to post your impressions, thanks!

Using software volume control will strip away bits & below a certain level this will become sonically noticeable - as you found at low volumes.

Regarding the bass, you should have mentioned this to me & I would have asked you to listen to the inner detail of the bass & see if you were hearing more texture to it? This is the sound of correctly rendered bass. We are all so used to exaggerated bass which culminates in the one-note boomy bass that is so derided.

Anyway, thanks again for your impressions!

Last week I had the chance to audition John's MK3 JKSPDIF converter. For my current set up I stream lossless files from my Apple Mac G5 tower via the toslink output straight to my Buffalo II dac. From john's converter I went BNC out to the Buffalo. I must say unfortunately I couldn't really discern much difference although I felt the JKSPDIF may have been pulling a touch more detail (less bloom) and was more fluid/coherent over all. I must point out the toslink from the G5 is a proper SPDIF out and not the crappy 3/4 jack found on laptops.

I must admit I was expecting something a bit more dramatic, but maybe its a synergy thing with Apple/itunes.

Full credit to John, the Dac tour was a great idea imo. I would like to thank him for taking the time to allow people like me to test his products in our systems. Much appreciated.

Paul

Thanks Paul
Yes, I too expected a more dramatic difference between Toslink from G5 & my MK3 SPDIF feeding your Buffalo. I know it's not the jitter reductions technology of the Sabre DACs that cleans everything up as I use Sabre DACs & have experimented with them - the quality of the feed into them makes a difference to the sound. I guess there must be some other reason but I don't subscribe to the synergy idea.

Yes, indeed, it would be interesting to hear the experiences of any other Apple users on this point, although I guess most people stream from PC with tailored playback software.

John, I'm getting the impression that your 32 DAC might take an hour or 4 to 'warm up' I've had it playing since I got home from work and the sound has really opened up quite a bit now - Did any of the other testers report or notice this?

To me we are now far out of the MDAC's league and I have to say possibly 'better' than the Teddy and Rega, although I do still like the presentation of the Wolfson based DACs!

I shall send the DACs on tomorrow morning

Cheers

Dan

John, I'm getting the impression that your 32 DAC might take an hour or 4 to 'warm up' I've had it playing since I got home from work and the sound has really opened up quite a bit now - Did any of the other testers report or notice this?
There is an initial burn period of 48 hours to a week (or so) when first operated but I haven't noticed a turn-on period for thermal or other equalisation! Nobody else has reported this to me - maybe others here can comment?

I do have an SS amplifier that needs >20 mins warm-up for best sound!

To me we are now far out of the MDAC's league and I have to say possibly 'better' than the Teddy and Rega, although I do still like the presentation of the Wolfson based DACs!

I shall send the DACs on tomorrow morning

Cheers

Dan
Great! Interestingly, in another thread, (that I'm currently engaged in), the MDAC was being cited as the epitome of how USB audio should be done :)

Thanks for sending on. Please let me know the tracking numbers when posted.

Perhaps it's my living room that has 'warmed up' then. Either way, it's sounding better than it did during a shorter audition.

Great! Interestingly, in another thread, (that I'm currently engaged in), the MDAC was being cited as the epitome of how USB audio should be done

Not a view that I share

I reckon you can be pretty pleased with your 32 DAC, simple, small, sounds beautiful.

advertisement

Back