advertisement

DAC Tour

Sorry for being naive, but how much does a DAC cost, I would like to try, but wouldn't want to try something that wasn't reachable price wise??

Mark

€400 for Sabre based JKDAC;
€500 for Texas Instruments (TI) based JKDAC32
€335 for USB-SPDIF converter. This is the USB front end that is incorporated into the DACs above. It is a modified Hiface with two clocks being powered from battery for ultra low noise, low jitter clock sources.
See website for more information

-snip-
Also can the Dacs be used as preamps and can they drive long interconnects?

Thanks.

I forgot to answer this - if by preamplifier you mean the ability to select between different sources & to control the volume, then no - these are single input USB devices. The DACs output line level 2V singe-ended, not balanced, outputs via RCA. The USB-SPDIF device outputs SPDIF via 75ohm BNC connector.

BTW, you need to PM me your name & address for the list

I am first on the tour. If any members would like to come to East Berkshire and hear them in a high-end valve system (interstage triode amps into Audio Note loudspeakers), then send me a PM and we can arrange a weekend afternoon.

Andrew

Andrew, the two DACs will be on the way to you shortly. I reckon early next week you will have them. They are being sent from Clive Meakins in the UK who had them for the review in EnjoytheMusic. These two DACs differ slightly from the current production models only in the area of battery charging. The current production devices are automatically charged via a spare USB cable or an external 5V PS. The ones you will be receiving require a PS of >7V for powering the internal charger & charging starts when the device is switched off.

Clive is kindly including a 7.5V transformer based PS supply along with some USB connectors that I recommend. It might be easier to ship a lighter SMPS supply (switched mode power supply) with the devices. Do you have one of between 7 - 30V output with a 2.1mm barrel plug end? I will see what I have spare here?

BTW, I have your address but don't have your surname, only AndrewR.

Andrew, the two DACs will be on the way to you shortly. I reckon early next week you will have them. They are being sent from Clive Meakins in the UK who had them for the review in EnjoytheMusic. These two DACs differ slightly from the current production models only in the area of battery charging. The current production devices are automatically charged via a spare USB cable or an external 5V PS. The ones you will be receiving require a PS of >7V for powering the internal charger & charging starts when the device is switched off.

Clive is kindly including a 7.5V transformer based PS supply along with some USB connectors that I recommend. It might be easier to ship a lighter SMPS supply (switched mode power supply) with the devices. Do you have one of between 7 - 30V output with a 2.1mm barrel plug end? I will see what I have spare here?

BTW, I have your address but don't have your surname, only AndrewR.

Dear John,

Many thanks for the details, I don't think I have a such a charger at the moment, but will use Clive's and forward it on. If I like them, I will at least run an article on my blog :) If they beat my own DAC, then I'll be doing more than just writing an article :D ($$).

My surname is Randle.

Timing wise, if anyone wants to come along to East Berkshire on the weekend of the 11th/12th and have a listen, let me know. After then I will forward the DACs to the next recipient.

Andrew

Dear John,

Many thanks for the details, I don't think I have a such a charger at the moment, but will use Clive's and forward it on. If I like them, I will at least run an article on my blog :) If they beat my own DAC, then I'll be doing more than just writing an article :D ($$).

My surname is Randle.
Ah, I didn't check your profile before (would have picked up your surname there, doh!) Just reading your blog & see that you mention two DACs, the M-DAC & Young DAC. Someone on another forum who has an M-DAC prompted me to search my emails for any comparisons with it & my JKDAC32. I found this email which ranks the M-DAC & the Young DAC:
i dont' want return the dac because at this time it is my favorite !

jkdac32 >~ hegel hd11 > M2tech Young > Audiolab M-DAC > Arcam RDAC
Interestingly, my DACs can be used with the Young DAC driver also which I find gives it a different presentation - most people prefer this presentation to the Hiface driver. The Young DAC driver installation is manual rather than automatic as is th ecase with the Hiface driver - details given in the user guide here
Timing wise, if anyone wants to come along to East Berkshire on the weekend of the 11th/12th and have a listen, let me know. After then I will forward the DACs to the next recipient.

Andrew
Excellent, Andrew, thanks!

BTW, I have a 12V 1.5A SMPS which is light & I will send it to you along with a USB short USB cable! So I will ask Clive not to send the heavier PS.

Wow, I just went to email Clive & he had sent the package - super efficient!

Items should arrive Monday tracking number ZX147660701GB

http://track2.royalmail.com

Could I suggest that this method is used for each hand-over - the tracking number is posted here when the registered & insured package is sent?

The 2 DACs arrived with AndrewR on Saturday.
He gave me his initial impressions - looking forward to his further impressions

I got to say that the JKDAC32 is really impressive - the balance of virtues are coming in close to my Audio Note 2.1 Signature kit DAC (which is a much more expensive unit).

Andrew

Wow, I just went to email Clive & he had sent the package - super efficient!

Items should arrive Monday tracking number ZX147660701GB

http://track2.royalmail.com

Could I suggest that this method is used for each hand-over - the tracking number is posted here when the registered & insured package is sent?
Royal Mail were fast too! Delivering on Saturday for a promised Monday delivery.

Indeed. It was very nearly a Monday delivery, as I was listening to music when the postie arrived earlier than usual in the day!

Andrew

Hi John

can I take part in the tour

(I bought a Mk1 Hiface from you a long time ago now!)

David Sims

Sure, David
Yes I remember
Are you still in Torquay at the same address?
Send it to me anyway just to be sure!

John

Thanks Andrew,
Because you are also on AOS forum, I had you on the AOS list of participants. I'm afraid the next recipient's address I gave you is a John from the AOS forum & not the Jon (SPace is the Place) from PFM. I said I needed someone to administer this :)

OK, Andrew, thanks I was just about to contact him!
Will you be writing up your more full-blown impressions on your blog?

advertisement

Back