advertisement

DAC Tour

I made a little start and taken a nice photo.

It should be online within the next few days. Will let you know.
Andrew

Nice write-up Andrew - may I link to your blog from AudioChews?

I am very interested myself in the JK32 (as a Young owner with an uprated PS), the only thing is I use system with my TV too (My music source is a MAC).

As my 'pre' is a single input lightspeed I would need a way to run the TV through the DAC (toslink). If anyone comes up with a way around this (like some kind of switcheable toslink to USB converter that piggybacks the USB connection) I would be very interested in trialling these DACs.

Nice write-up Andrew - may I link to your blog from AudioChews?

I am very interested myself in the JK32 (as a Young owner with an uprated PS), the only thing is I use system with my TV too (My music source is a MAC).

As my 'pre' is a single input lightspeed I would need a way to run the TV through the DAC (toslink). If anyone comes up with a way around this (like some kind of switcheable toslink to USB converter that piggybacks the USB connection) I would be very interested in trialling these DACs.

Hi Alan, you're more than welcome to link my blog.

Andrew

May I also link to it, Andrew, from my website?

Edit: One thing, I don't know if I mentioned Jplay to you? I highly recommend this over Foobar or any other playback software I have heard on a PC.

May I also link to it, Andrew, from my website?

Edit: One thing, I don't know if I mentioned Jplay to you? I highly recommend this over Foobar or any other playback software I have heard on a PC.

Hi John,

You are more than welcome to create the link. Many thanks for the tip regarding Jplay, will give it a whirl soon.

Andrew

I'm now the proud owner of a JKDAC32. I have been using a Musical Fidelity V-DAC 2 for around 6 months, I also trialled the Audiolab M-Dac but couldn't justify the cost when I didn't need half the features. Having read the excellent reviews on the JKDAC32 I decided to give it a try. I got it on Tuesday this week so only been running for a few days. It easily beats the V-DAC 2, better bass, smoother top end and a beautifully natural vocal. I can only go from memory of the M-Dac but I'd say the JKDAC32 easily matches it, very similar sounding sonically/tone.

I don't have a CD player, all my music if lossless played directly from my PC, I also use a 5m USB cable, a shorter cable might sound even better but it's not possible for me, to be honest I can't imagine it sounding any better.

Here is my kit list for reference.

High end self built PC with SSD's only, music stored on a HP Micro server (all silent).
KEF R300 speakers on Atacama HMS 1.1 stands.
Arcam FMJ A28 amplifier
Atlas Equator Bi-wire cables
Mark Grant interconnects.

Anyone looking for a sub £1000 DAC for USB only should look no further than the JKDAC32.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your views. They more-or-less match mine in every respect, including the comparisons with other DACs.

You're well-sorted from a source perspective.

Andrew

Thanks Nick, for your impressions & glad you are enjoying it. Much appreciate your support
Two things I suggest in my recommendations that I urge you to try - both are relatively cheap in a bang for buck measure
- Jplay playback software. You can try a full featured demo version first. The difference this makes to the sound compared to anything else I've heard on a PC is amazing. More solidity along with more fluidity. Win 8 also brings you along this same path
- Just try some direct USB connectors at some stage on some system & compare to your 5M USB cable. Again I think you will find more of the same improvements as above!

- Jplay playback software. You can try a full featured demo version first. The difference this makes to the sound compared to anything else I've heard on a PC is amazing. More solidity along with more fluidity. Win 8 also brings you along this same path

Hi John,

Interesting point regarding Win 8. On my latest laptop I have only run Win 8 and yet to try JPlay (on my list after I buy another 4GB of memory).

When you write "Win 8 also brings you along this same path", do you mean that Win 8 provides the optimisations and I don't need JPlay, or that JPlay will provide more of the same?

Andrew

Hi John,

Interesting point regarding Win 8. On my latest laptop I have only run Win 8 and yet to try JPlay (on my list after I buy another 4GB of memory).

When you write "Win 8 also brings you along this same path", do you mean that Win 8 provides the optimisations and I don't need JPlay, or that JPlay will provide more of the same?

Andrew

Win 8 provides extra solidity & fluidity on top of or independently to either Jplay or the USB connector - they are all additive :)

There's also another one which I'm looking into at the moment & it seems to provide some benefits - the replacing of windows explorer with Total Commander - a bit of a PITA interface but the price of audio perfection :)

There's also another one which I'm looking into at the moment & it seems to provide some benefits - the replacing of windows explorer with Total Commander - a bit of a PITA interface but the price of audio perfection :)

Intriguing. I'll have a look

Andrew

Andrew or Nick,
Did you try any of these recommendations - Jplay, Win 8, Total Commander, USB direct? Any impressions?

Hi Jon,
Nick Whetstone is just finished reviewing the 3 devices (JKSPDIF, JKDAC & JKDAC32) for TNT & he should be sending it onto the first person that I have on the UK list shortly - DiveDeepDog.

If there is enough interest in Germany sure, no problem!

advertisement

Back