advertisement

Chord Hugo, overrated or DAC of the century

Without wanting to hi-jack this thread, would you post a link (if available) to your findings when comparing the Aries and Mac mini, please.

I've compared both via the ATC SCA2 preamp into ATC active 40's and overall I felt they sounded pretty much the same. I was using the Auralic Aries bridge/streamer via USB to the Hugo and the Mac Mini via USB to the 2Qute, so it was a near fast A/B with tracks in close sync.

What HIFI has just given the 2Qute 5 stars in a rave review btw.

Regards,
Peter

Have you compared the Hugo and the TT both direct into active ATCs by any chance? If so, what did you reckon - is the TT an improvement over the Hugo?

Have you compared the Hugo and the TT both direct into active ATCs by any chance? If so, what did you reckon - is the TT an improvement over the Hugo?

Hi Andy,

Sadly, I placed our order late and I'm still waiting for our first unit to arrive.

I hope to compare but now I want a DAVE :)

Peter

Hello chaps, sorry for the short answer. I've owned two Hugos and I guess they just don't do it for me. I listen via headphones alot and just find the bass a bit much. I owned a Weiss DAC202 a few years ago which was good. The best dac/amp I've owned was a Mcintosh MHA100 which was just so easy to listen to. Not slating the Hugo, but I just couldn't see what the fuss was about.

Hello chaps, sorry for the short answer. I've owned two Hugos and I guess they just don't do it for me. I listen via headphones alot and just find the bass a bit much. I owned a Weiss DAC202 a few years ago which was good. The best dac/amp I've owned was a Mcintosh MHA100 which was just so easy to listen to. Not slating the Hugo, but I just couldn't see what the fuss was about.

Right, so you're comparing a product that costs £5k to a DAC/Pre/Headphone "portable" product costing £1.4k, and this is still largely headphones dependent in terms of outright performance.

Yes, McIntosh is overrated and clearly overpriced for its warm colourations, which I could easily EQ into the Hugo.

Peter

Right, so you're comparing a product that costs £5k to a DAC/Pre/Headphone "portable" product costing £1.4k, and this is still largely headphones dependent in terms of outright performance.

Yes, McIntosh is overrated and clearly overpriced for its warm colourations, which I could easily EQ into the Hugo.

Peter

No, I'm not directly comparing the two, just answering a question if I had a Weiss dac. I preferred the presentation of the UnitiQute to the Hugo.

I'm impressed with these continuing reports of improvements on perfection.

:rolleyes:

However, I'm running out of time and that's another 20 minutes of my life I won't see again.

DACs, like phono stages, are supposed to switch some analogue original, which has been turned into digital, at least in theory via a known process, back into what it originally was, also by a specified process.

If there is that much difference, a lot of people are getting it wrong

Mull

DACs are a subjective beast, and relish hearing from those who champion their respective purchases and tastes, and not because they have "a horse in the race."

I do not doubt that Chord's Hugo is a fine piece of gear finding favor with a fair number of enthusiasts, members of the press and vendors/sellers, but am curious what if Chord was not a British company? what if the Hugo was country of origin was anywhere else?

In keeping with the subject of this thread perhaps the question should be: Chord Hugo, over-HYPED or DAC of the century?

DACs are a subjective beast, and relish hearing from those who champion their respective purchases and tastes, and not because they have "a horse in the race."

I do not doubt that Chord's Hugo is a fine piece of gear finding favor with a fair number of enthusiasts, members of the press and vendors/sellers, but am curious what if Chord was not a British company? what if the Hugo was country of origin was anywhere else?

In keeping with the subject of this thread perhaps the question should be: Chord Hugo, over-HYPED or DAC of the century?

I was wondering the same thing. If it cost £50 direct from an Ebay seller in China and there were hundreds available, would people sub-consciously attribute cheap performance from it... To be honest - much as I'm currently toying with the idea of buying one - it looks very cheap and tacky to me. Fit and finish from photos seems fairly average. I know people say you're paying for the state of the art performance, but in terms of number of components used, build quality, features, looks etc. my much cheaper Marantz HD-DAC1 leaves it in the dust!

The only way you will know is to try one!

I was very disappointed with the performance of "hi-end" DACs when I borrowed a few. They all had different flavours to the sound but none were better than a €60 Audiophonics DAC.

Maybe having zillions of "taps" helps, but I would want to hear it before parting with £1400 for the Hugo. The other thing I would consider is - can its battery be replaced easily and cheaply??

advertisement

Back