advertisement

Chord Hugo, overrated or DAC of the century

analogmusic

pfm Member
Haven't heard one yet

I have a Naim DAC V1, but all the hype on the internet tempted to go for Chord Hugo. Can't audition before purchase

what's the big deal about this dac???

I own a V1, and a Chord (OK, it's a QBD76, but same technology as the Hugo). The V1's very good but the Chord is much better. Simples! Unless you really want the headphone amp & preamp of the Hugo I'd go for the 2Qute. Cheaper, better async. USB input.

It was one of last year's big things. There will be others this year.

Decent DACs tend to sound quite similar (not necessarily the same, but surprisingly similar if listened to "blind") - unless NOS or with valves. You pays your money...

[edit] Tony snuck in there while I was posting - not intended as a contradiction to his personal findings.

Go & buy a 2Qute. It'll sound great. If you don't like it, sell it. Do you want someone to tell you it's no good? Seems like it.

I had the QBD76 and sold it because I did not like it. Be sure you audition before buying. But then I never got along with Chord products, sound-wise....

Haven't heard one yet

I have a Naim DAC V1, but all the hype on the internet tempted to go for Chord Hugo. Can't audition before purchase

what's the big deal about this dac???

It's easier to purchase and then audition in your system (14-day return) unless you need to sell the DAC V1 to raise funds.

It's a superb little DAC, so I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Peter

What other Chord products have you owned and not got on with sound- wise?

Hi Barry

I had a pre-power combo and an integrated in my room (forgot the exact models) and all sounded clear, precise but could not convey any emotions. If you like to dissect your music then they are first-rate. I see Chord as the anti-thesis of Naim. So...

I never really liked Chord's amplification, but their DACs are a different kettle of fish. An antithesis of Naim? Absolutely not IMO.

I never really liked Chord's amplification, but their DACs are a different kettle of fish. An antithesis of Naim? Absolutely not IMO.

....I found they had quite some similarities, being clean and precise. I suppose that is the Chord signature sound, so I was not really astonished.

I am not dissing Chord here, just saying: home-dem, any decent dealer will let you take home one for a listen (or buy and return, as suggested above).

Hi Barry

I had a pre-power combo and an integrated in my room (forgot the exact models) and all sounded clear, precise but could not convey any emotions. If you like to dissect your music then they are first-rate. I see Chord as the anti-thesis of Naim. So...
You should try there new integrated with inbuilt Hugo.
Its a lovely sounding bit of kit and something to listen to if you like naim?
Its still a British owned company in Maidstone Kent.

Hi analogmusic

If portability is not a requirement then i feel you should also consider Hegel's new HD12 DAC/headphone amp/pre amp which at RRP £900 is almost as good as the clearly superior QBD76.

All the best

Rick @ musicraft

Hi analogmusic

If portability is not a requirement then i feel you should also consider Hegel's new HD12 DAC/headphone amp/pre amp which at RRP £900 is almost as good as the clearly superior QBD76.

All the best

Rick @ musicraft
Are there any in Dubai to listen to?
Whats the company back up like if faulty?

Hi Barry

No Din sockets. RCA and true balanced XLR outputs.

What component/s would you want to connect to please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Looking forward to 2Qute reviews. I'm not looking for a DAC with a pre or HP input. Just a really good DAC to sit between a HTPC and a IA like the NAIM SuperNait2.

advertisement

Back