advertisement

Chord Hugo, overrated or DAC of the century

US site backs US gear shock. :D

Yep, it's a complete load of tosh!

I remember reading this when they went from praising the Eximus DP1 as the next best thing since Jesus, to downright loathing the product, as if audio change from mono to stereo overnight.

Thank God, people have more common sense, we hope.

Peter

Nothing wrong with any site backing any of the latest Chord DACs.
They are all excellent.
I've not had a listen to Dave yet.
Looking forward to doing that very soon and a lump of there other kit as soon as the French stop playing silly buggers with our roads.

The Weiss is a great converter!

There's new one on its way and knowing Daniel it ought to be good.

Peter
computer-says-no.jpg

A UK mag with advertisers produce half a dozen not all made in the UK, in a price pond not fished in by many others. Well done. :D

It is what it is. :D

Ridiculous IMO. As if only British brands were good.

But what do you think gets done these days without OEMs or at least some components sourced from Asia?

Don't bother answering. I guess that would be OT square.

I really don't understand why some folks love to dislike Chord. I read a lot of stuff about the Chord Hugo having treble harshness(mostly from Schiit Audio fanboys) .

I pulled the trigger on a 2Qute and I detect no treble harshness whatsever. Very detailed ,natural and analog sound via USB . I havent tried the coax or other outputs.

It very clearly beats the Schiit Gungnir,Benchmark 2 HGC,Arcam Irdac and Parasound dacs I have.

Will it beat a Schiit Yggdrasil? I'll let you know as I have one coming in the end of July.

I really don't understand why some folks love to dislike Chord. I read a lot of stuff about the Chord Hugo having treble harshness(mostly from Schiit Audio fanboys) .

I pulled the trigger on a 2Qute and I detect no treble harshness whatsever. Very detailed ,natural and analog sound via USB . I havent tried the coax or other outputs.

It very clearly beats the Schiit Gungnir,Benchmark 2 HGC,Arcam Irdac and Parasound dacs I have.

Will it beat a Schiit Yggdrasil? I'll let you know as I have one coming in the end of July.
Have you played any DSD albums through it?

I think Friday Night in San Francisco was recorded in 1981 onto analogue tape. The first commercial DSD recording was in 1997. So the DSD version you are listening to is really only a relative recent remastering from very old analogue master tapes. Genuine DSD recordings are quite hard to come by ime. The Chord Hugo is a wonderful DAC though!

Why do you need so many dacs?

Why do you need so many dacs?

Ha . I have been in testing mode over the last year to find the right equipment
for the five systems I have in my house. ( Family Room,Bedroom,Outside ,Office/Library,Guest Bedroom)

I also have an Audiolab Mdac ,Ifi Micro Idsd. Nad

If you want a very good Dsd dac for cheap I would suggest the Micro Idsd .
It plays Dsd better IMHO than my Benchmark or Chord. Yes at 500 US dollars .

But for PCM the Chord or Benchmark for that matter blow away the Ifi Micro Idsd
.They should considering the price the triple the Ifi Micro Idsd.

Some stuff will get sold this year.

Ha . I have been in testing mode over the last year to find the right equipment
for the five systems I have in my house. ( Family Room,Bedroom,Outside ,Office/Library,Guest Bedroom)

I also have an Audiolab Mdac ,Ifi Micro Idsd. Nad

If you want a very good Dsd dac for cheap I would suggest the Micro Idsd .
It plays Dsd better IMHO than my Benchmark or Chord. Yes at 500 US dollars .

But for PCM the Chord or Benchmark for that matter blow away the Ifi Micro Idsd
.They should considering the price the triple the Ifi Micro Idsd.

Some stuff will get sold this year.
Ha,
Whats the rest?
All the sources systems and speakers you have been running those DACs through in all those rooms?
Any pictures?

Ha,
Whats the rest?
All the sources systems and speakers you have been running those DACs through in all those rooms?
Any pictures?

Auralic Aries > Chord 2Qute>Primaluna Prolouge Premium>Kef Ls50
Auralic Aries >Uptone Audio Regen >Schiit Gungnir>Anthem 225 Integrated >Kef Ls50
iMac >Benchmark 2 HGC > Uptone Audio Regen> Genelec Nearfield Monitors
Auralic Aries > Parasound or Arcam Irdac> Parasound P5 Preamp > Ada amplifier > 5 sets of Rockustics Stonehedge outdoor speakers
Squeezebox Touch >Nad 1050 amp>Cambridge Audio portable speakers

Kimber and JL labs Cables

but no Vega. A pal tried the Aries/Vega combo and found it to be, bang for buck, a winning combo, having the edge over an Aurender and bettered only by a Vitus Signature DAC (of the items he tried). He didn't audition a Chord on that occasion. Did you try and discount the Vega?

but no Vega. A pal tried the Aries/Vega combo and found it to be, bang for buck, a winning combo, having the edge over an Aurender and bettered only by a Vitus Signature DAC (of the items he tried). He didn't audition a Chord on that occasion. Did you try and discount the Vega?

Haven't heard the Vega because I refuse to pay over 3k for any dac .

I'm sure it's great ,along with the Bricasti ,Total dac ,etc but I feel there are diminishing returns at that point .

Maybe I will buy a used one down the road .

advertisement

Back