advertisement

Cheap NAS drive needed

That (HP Microserver after the regularly popping-up cashback offer) is pretty much what I've been using for a while now.
Doubles-up as video server linked to Raspberry Pi.
Synology software means it looks and behaves as a NAS, but is a lot more powerful and runs a lot smoother. Also easy to back-up full operating system on USB drive.
Had a love-hate relationship with QNAP NAS previouis to this. Fine when running, but sloooow to update database and make any changes. And a real pain when a HDD had a hiccup.

Forum member 'man in a van' has very kindly offered to let me borrow his Raspberry pi for a week or two to try out. It'll come with the piCorePlayer software pre-installed on it.

Hopefully I'll be able to plug my USB stick into the pi, connect this up to the router and see how the SBT fares with this setup.

Remember to disable the 'tiny' lms server on your touch before firing up the pi, otherwise it'll latch on to it as a server...

Just a quick update on how I'm getting on with the Raspberry Pi.

As a data bank serving music to the SBT it's been running perfectly without any issues. The only problem that I've encountered so far is that when plugged into the router it slows the internet down for other computers on my home network. This even happens when the SBT is switched off and the Pi is just sitting there doing nothing. As soon as the Pi is removed from the router the internet speeds up of all of the computers attached the the network.

The only problem that I've encountered so far is that when plugged into the router it slows the internet down for other computers on my home network. This even happens when the SBT is switched off and the Pi is just sitting there doing nothing. As soon as the Pi is removed from the router the internet speeds up of all of the computers attached the the network.

Well that's a puzzle, Steve :(

I have had no experience of this behaviour.

Don't know what to suggest as a remedy, a quick google of the problem shows that others have had a similar experience.

Are the other computers on Wireless? If so, maybe you can confirm that wireless is disconnected on the relevant piCorePlayer tab.

Apart from that, maybe reset the router and see what happens.

Ronnie

My computer is connected by wifi but the other two computers on the network are connected by an ethernet cable.

So that is one computer, one SBT on Wireless and three others on Ethernet cable.

I can't see any problems with that set up.

So I would reset the Router.

How I do it is to keep one computer connected to the router by Ethernet, switch everything else off correctly and unplug.

From the one connected computer, disconnect the router from the internet, wait a cup of tea time then reset it.

When it is back up and running, check the connected computer is stable, then bring the others back on line, one at a time; wait for each to stabalise before connecting the next.

This will give a set o new IP addresses and hopefully remove any conflicts.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

It is a bit of long winded procedure but does sometimes help.

You should have a user manual for the Router to explain how to access the web pages.

Ronnie.

Suggestions from network gurus are welcome ;)

Try doing the following:

1. Move the Pi a few metres away from the router.
2. Swap the ethernet cable with another one.
3. Unplug any wireless keyboard/mice dongles plugged into the Pi
4. Try a different power supply with the Pi

Thanks for the tips but I'm still having no luck with it. It still slows the internet down.

I'll try 2.5" portable hard drive plugged straight into the SBT next to see how that fairs.

Try doing the following:

1. Move the Pi a few metres away from the router.
2. Swap the ethernet cable with another one.
3. Unplug any wireless keyboard/mice dongles plugged into the Pi
4. Try a different power supply with the Pi

5. Turn off the pi's wifi

Just a quick update on how I'm getting on with the Raspberry Pi.

As a data bank serving music to the SBT it's been running perfectly without any issues. The only problem that I've encountered so far is that when plugged into the router it slows the internet down for other computers on my home network. This even happens when the SBT is switched off and the Pi is just sitting there doing nothing. As soon as the Pi is removed from the router the internet speeds up of all of the computers attached the the network.

What router are you using? Are you using its Ethernet ports to connect your various devices directly? I ask because some routers, especially those supplied by ISPs, do not work so well as switches when it comes to efficiently directing data to the right place. A simple unmanaged switch between the router and other devices can improve this.

Is your Pi is detected by router on gbit link or fast ethernet? If later it may be slowing down other connected 'puters

advertisement

Back