advertisement

Cheap NAS drive needed

Depends what you mean by cheap!? Something like a Synology 116 with a WD Red drive would be my choice. There are some cheap consumer NAS devices around, like WD MyCloud, but these are often problematic for many users trying to run UPnP servers on them.

Basically I have a second hifi system consisting of just a SBT and a pair of active speakers. The sound quality and user interface are all good.

The only issue is that I'm using a 64GB USB memory stick plugged in the back to store all of my music files. It works ok most of the time but does occasionally crash which is a PITA. Hence I would like to connect it to a proper NAS drive.

Other solutions would be considered too.

I've used a NetGear ReadyNAS for the past 3 years pretty much for just this application (plus some data back-up) and it has performed without any hiccup. Looks like they have changed model designations but the current equivalent looks like an RN212

Watch out for those Proliant servers, they are a great workhorse, I have one, but the fan runs flat out and the noise is intrusive. The things expect to live a hard life in server rooms, so fans should run flat out and noise isn't an issue, but you wouldn't want it in your living room. I'm told that you can turn down the fan but it's not exactly child's play. BIOS settings job, so you aren't doing that via a Windoze menu. Also bear in mind that the Proliant comes without an OS, so you will need a copy of Win-whatever or Linux or similar.

Basically I have a second hifi system consisting of just a SBT and a pair of active speakers. The sound quality and user interface are all good.

The only issue is that I'm using a 64GB USB memory stick plugged in the back to store all of my music files. It works ok most of the time but does occasionally crash which is a PITA. Hence I would like to connect it to a proper NAS drive.

Other solutions would be considered too.

Are you using MySqueezeboxdotcom or a local LMS server.

If the latter, on what is the LMS running?

Ronnie

Watch out for those Proliant servers, they are a great workhorse, I have one, but the fan runs flat out and the noise is intrusive. The things expect to live a hard life in server rooms, so fans should run flat out and noise isn't an issue, but you wouldn't want it in your living room. I'm told that you can turn down the fan but it's not exactly child's play. BIOS settings job, so you aren't doing that via a Windoze menu. Also bear in mind that the Proliant comes without an OS, so you will need a copy of Win-whatever or Linux or similar.

My Synology was set to run the cooling fan constantly, and the noise was a little intrusive. It was a simple matter to turn it off, so that it only kicks in when needed, which in a cool location, is not that often. On the subject of NAS specifications, streaming music is an easy task for them, and I can see no benefit in running a higher spec model - if anything, this might generate more noise (electrical and audible) so I would go for a relatively basic Netgear Readynas, Synology DS or QNAP.

I've been using Buffalo Linkstation NAS drives for years on numerous LMS installations for both myself and my kids. Even a basic Linkstaion Pro does the job but the latter versions the Vpro etc are really quite swift.

As the cheaper Linkstations are single drive boxes I would advise you get two and use one as a backup and save it somewhere remote from the main LMS server and just back up every few months depending on how quickly you amass new music

They are "cheap as chips" especially if you buy used and fit new hard drives.

You need a bit of Linux / Debian knowledge though . Basic installation of LMS under Optware is a bit challenging but there are lots of guides out there and it's always nice to pit ones brain against the machine

Eddie

Can anyone recommend a good cheap NAS drive to use with a SBT?

Thanks. :)
My guess is that you're running LMS on the Touch...

My advice would be to run LMS on a pi3 (piCorePlayer 3.2), and get yourself a cheap low power NAS, the pi3 can reference the NAS.

Alternatively if you want to run LMS on the NAS, you'll need it to be more of a server than just a NAS, hence it will need more grunt...use the pi it's much better value

I ran LMS with multiple endpoints from a Synology DS115 without any issues and also ran it with a lower powered Synology DS112 before that. Try a Synology and if it isn't sufficient add the Pi - I also use piCorePlayer and it is very simple to setup and use.

p.s. I just bought a QNAP TS112 off ebay for £60 with a 1TB drive. Higher spec than the Synology DS115 but I don't know if LMS has been packaged for it.

p.s. I just bought a QNAP TS112 off ebay for £60 with a 1TB drive. Higher spec than the Synology DS115 but I don't know if LMS has been packaged for it.
Not officially any more. It's just about doable with some hacking about but not worth the bother because some plugins won't work with it (or if they can it needs even more fiddling.) I use a pi, although my QNAP can still work in an emergency.

Are you using MySqueezeboxdotcom or a local LMS server.

If the latter, on what is the LMS running?

Ronnie
I have no idea what they are. I just plug a 64GB USB memory stick full of MP3 files in the back of the SQT. This usually works fine for a week or two then crashes.

I use a Qnap TS121 with a 2gb Western Red disk, it does not make much noise.

if you go the pi route you can use a usb stick into the pi to begin with, or some routers allow one to attatch a usb stick or hard drive and you can store and access your music files that way.

Logitech Media Server on the pi is the big brother to the "tiny" version which runs on the SBT (and tends to crash a bit). Gives access to BBC iplayer radio, Spotify, Tunein and other stuff.

piCoreplayer is the OS one installs on the raspberry pi 3B , it runs the LMS, the SBT plays the music.

I have set up a system like this into active Mackies, all plugged into a power strip, turn the power on and music can start to play.

It might seem complicated but once set up can be pretty solid if one DOES NOT tinker (too much)

The ML series are meant to be useable in an office enviroment, If your fans are running at full chat, something is wrong or you are rendering graphics for the next avatar film.
I have been running an ML110 g5 for at least 4 years now, even with 7 HDD installed(its only meant to take 4 ;) ) the fans only run at full chat during POST

If you do get an ML10, make sure you get a Displayport to VGA adaptor as they only have Displayport for video output.

advertisement

Back