advertisement

Cheap NAS drive needed

to throw a grenade in, what about a simple dell optiplex of some kind running the excellent Daphile music server (squeezebox at its core)

https://www.daphile.com

So simple to install and most optiplexs can take two drives and can be picked up for literally peanuts, run pretty quiet and will be magnitudes more powerful than cheap nases.

I use nas4free on an old core2 duo desktop with software raid5. It runs very well and faster and cheaper than a little nas box.

you dont need a NAS with the pi - plug the USB stick in the PI directly or buy a desktop USB drive (WD Elements or similar) and plug that into the pi instead. Why buy a NAS (which is basically a little server) then plug it into another computer?

you dont need a NAS with the pi - plug the USB stick in the PI directly or buy a desktop USB drive (WD Elements or similar) and plug that into the pi instead. Why buy a NAS (which is basically a little server) then plug it into another computer?

Because the NAS can also be used by other computers on the network, and because RPi USB throughput isn't that great.

This is a very fair point: it all depends on whether you are treating a file based music playing system as a slot in replacement of a cd player, or as part of a network system.

You want the files to be available all over the network and to be capable of administration like backups (and available for file tagging from another machine). I guess you can use the pi as a sort of server with the hard drive attached. I think I would rather use a nas for that function though. Partcularly if the nas is doing something other than holding music files (eg serving up video). But I dare say someone has probably created a pi distro for turning the pi into a NAS.
[edit: no surprise:
http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/how-to-build-your-own-raspberry-pi-nas-1315968
]

This is a very fair point: it all depends on whether you are treating a file based music playing system as a slot in replacement of a cd player, or as part of a network system.
It won't be needed as part of a network. It's just used as a music player in the room where the speakers are and nowhere else.

As you say "treating it as a file based music playing system as a slot in replacement of a cd player"

How are you going to connect the NAS to the SQB Touch?
No idea. Could it just be connected to the SBT via USB?

Reading your posts in this thread I'd say that you just need something simple and a bit more resilient than what you have with your memory stick.
Basically yeah, you've hit the nail on the head there. That's exactly what I'm after, something that does exactly what the USB memory stick already does but without crashing every few weeks.

Something like a 1tb Western Digital portable USB drive.1tb because that is about as small as they get in terms of capacity and your memory stick is 64gb...
This looks ideal. Assuming that it would just plug in to the SBT and work without crashing. Would the SBT USB socked be able to power it ok though?

No idea. Could it just be connected to the SBT via USB? (wyjsar answer 1)

Basically yeah, you've hit the nail on the head there. That's exactly what I'm after, something that does exactly what the USB memory stick already does but without crashing every few weeks.

This looks ideal. Assuming that it would just plug in to the SBT and work without crashing. Would the SBT USB socked be able to power it ok though? (wyjsar answer 2)
1. I doubt it, some level of software would be required to run a NAS.
2. According to http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.p...ox_Touch_Server#Connecting_USB-Powered_Drives then yes
I can't guarantee it would be more resilient, quite honestly I wouldn't expect a memory stick to be a problem in the first place. But... it is...
If anything is shaky it might be the underlying SQB T software. However, if we've moved the question on towards what your requirement is, as opposed to throwing an inappropriate (in your case) solution is (a NAS) then there's some progress. If the crashing issue is at the SQB T end then the solution is not at the storage side of things but at the renderer end. There can be many solutions to this, if your music can be stored on a 64gb memory stick then the solution should not be out of proportion cost-wise (i.e. keep it low, don't be sucked into a Rolls Royce solution to a Toyota sized problem).

It won't be needed as part of a network. It's just used as a music player in the room where the speakers are and nowhere else.

As you say "treating it as a file based music playing system as a slot in replacement of a cd player"
Fair point. I would plead though to be open-minded about this. Computer audio really takes off IMHO once one lets go of the hifi model. I like being able to play all my music all round the house. For me more music is a very good thing. And the beauty in for it is that once the architecture is right, scaling is easy.
The downside is that it tends to distract from the all-important quest for a truly coherent cable loom.

If anything is shaky it might be the underlying SQB T software.

Indeed. The built-in "mini LMS" functionality that allows the box to be it's own server and play from local storage was a quick add-on that I don't think was never meant for serious use. The Squeezebox architecture is based on a network model.

It's worth pointing out that Synology no longer support LMS. There are ways to get LMS running on a Synology NAS, but despite help from some very nice people online, I've been unable to get it to work on mine.

If you're after a simple solution, a NAS may well not be the answer.

Fair point. I would plead though to be open-minded about this. Computer audio really takes off IMHO once one lets go of the hifi model. I like being able to play all my music all round the house. For me more music is a very good thing. And the beauty in for it is that once the architecture is right, scaling is easy.
The downside is that it tends to distract from the all-important quest for a truly coherent cable loom.
I am happy to be open minded about other options. There is however no need or desire to listen to music anywhere else in the house so a network is not needed.

It's worth pointing out that Synology no longer support LMS. There are ways to get LMS running on a Synology NAS, but despite help from some very nice people online, I've been unable to get it to work on mine.

If you're after a simple solution, a NAS may well not be the answer.
I do have a Marantz NR1504 reciever boxed up upstairs that can be used with active speakers. This unit has Airplay built in which could be used instead of an SBT.

Maybe selling the SBT on and using the money to buy a 64GB iPod/iPhone to use with Airplay would be better?

From memory I believe a 32gb USB drive is recommended.
I use the sandisc 32gb flash drive in mine and it doesn't fail very often.
You can also attach a 32gb sd card but I have not tried that.

From memory I believe a 32gb USB drive is recommended.
I use the sandisc 32gb flash drive in mine and it doesn't fail very often.
You can also attach a 32gb sd card but I have not tried that.
Unfortunately 32GB just isn't big enough to fit all of my music on it. :(

Forum member 'man in a van' has very kindly offered to let me borrow his Raspberry pi for a week or two to try out. It'll come with the piCorePlayer software pre-installed on it.

Hopefully I'll be able to plug my USB stick into the pi, connect this up to the router and see how the SBT fares with this setup.

advertisement

Back