advertisement

Cartridge and phono stage chit-chat

Incidentally, the other option for the Transfig re-tip or re-build would be Goldring who've done fine work on a couple of Koetsu's I've heard.

Tried a range of pre amps with my ATC 50s they seemed to prefer a balanced pre . I changed my naim 82 + 2 hi caps to a BAT pre amp and phono stage.
IMO this sounded much better than the naim. Had a CD player with volume control to connect to the ATCs directly. Still preferred the sound through the pre.

Tried a range of pre amps with my ATC 50s they seemed to prefer a balanced pre . I changed my naim 82 + 2 hi caps to a BAT pre amp and phono stage.
IMO this sounded much better than the naim. Had a CD player with volume control to connect to the ATCs directly. Still preferred the sound through the pre.

OK, very good. Thanks for all the advice.

Naim prefix with a HiCap and replace the DIN plug with RCA's. The prefix is rediculosly great value and sounds like a dream with the HiCap.
Yeah, right. A lowly DV P-75 beat the pants off a Supercapped Prefix. I guess that's all cartridge dependent, no?

You should try and get a loan on a Whest 30se or 30rdt a major upgrade from what you have at the moment

Maybe the overdose of smoothness you're getting has more to do with the Benz and/or SME than the phono stage. My LP12/Lyra can't be accused of the same, notwithstanding the cheapie DV P-75 I have. Just sayin' ...

Maybe the overdose of smoothness you're getting has more to do with the Benz and/or SME than the phono stage. My LP12/Lyra can't be accused of the same, notwithstanding the cheapie DV P-75 I have. Just sayin' ...

An interesting theory. I remember trying out a Trichord PS back in my LP12 days, and this had a similar smoothness. I think it's the PS.

Benz lp and an SME is just a polite combo, that's all there is to it, been there owned that...

Dave how did you have the Benz loaded?

I used 400 to 600ish with one phono stage and around 200 to 500 ohms on another. Tried much higher and lower. It did seem happiest in the 400 region.

Agree with your polite comment above, although when I first got one I much preferred it to the previous cartridges I had owned.

I have always found it a problem choosing cartridges as they are very difficult to audition or compare.

From my experience with the Moon 310LP it's the Moon. Polite was my description but smooth would also fit.

Steve

advertisement

Back