advertisement

Cartridge and phono stage chit-chat

You have to "gross up". That .34 is at 3.54 cm/sec rather than at the standard 5 cm.

I'm sure I wouldn't be adding a Hiline. Not unless I had a bang on the head, at the very least.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my partnering kit, numerous fish of this parish have visited me recently, and the setup sounds sublime, as I'm sure they would verify, if called upon to do so. The Benz LP puts out 0.34mV.

Most outputs are quoted at 5cm/sec, and Naim quotes the limits for the Superline based on 5cm/sec. But Benz and some other manufactures quote out at 3.54 cm/sec, which is that .34 number (mine is .36) so you have to convert it to 5 cm/sec by multiplying the output by 1.46 to get the output at 5 cm/sec.

Bub,

Interested, but max load seems to be 400 Ohm. Recommended load for Benz LP is 500 to 47 k Ohm. Will this matter?
Sorry, I just saw this. I'm not certain, but I think the load matching is more critical at the low end than the high.

Have you found an Ios to try at home?

Joe

Actually, I omitted to mention one on eBay. However, it's in Denmark, the reserve is too high, and I don't think it's going to be suitable for the Benz.

May I humbly suggest that you could save many thousands by giving mine a go.... yes it's that good!

That's ridiculous Jez,

How could you suggest that a £250 box could match anything in the £3000 region? I A/B'd your unit the other day against a rather expensive Whest and I thought it wiped the floor with the Whest. Must be my ears.

Simon

That's ridiculous Jez,

How could you suggest that a £250 box could match anything in the £3000 region? I A/B'd your unit the other day against a rather expensive Whest and I thought it wiped the floor with the Whest. Must be my ears.

Simon

Which Whest?

That's ridiculous Jez,

Simon

That's good to hear!

There is a "stage two" version available shortly for £300 and hopefully there will be a £2000 or so all Arkless Electronics phono stage with rather interesting styling available at a later date....

advertisement

Back