advertisement

Bargain Box Sets

Can someone explain these pirate labels to me? What makes them pirates, if illegal how do they get away with it and does it mean the quality's crap?

After a given timeframe the copyright on a piece of music expires thus effectively placing it into the “public domain”. In the EU this is 50 years. This basically means that you, I, my pet cat or whoever can release any recordings older than this. Now obviously we don’t have access to the master tapes, so that means at the very best we have a CD to work from, at worst a record, cassette, YouTube video or whatever, but quality is of no concern as few will notice...

I detest the businesses that do this stuff as they are charging money for shit. If the stuff is in the public domain and the punter doesn’t want to pay the actual custodian of the master tape/rights for a nicely mastered authentic item with the correct artwork and liner notes (ironically protected for longer than the music!) then they should just torrent it. No need to pay a pirate for substandard product.

Tony, we've seem this happening with a lot of late 50s early 60s jazz. Why isn't it happening to the Beatles? Etc.

After a given timeframe the copyright on a piece of music expires thus effectively placing it into the “public domain”. In the EU this is 50 years. This basically means that you, I, my pet cat or whoever can release any recordings older than this. Now obviously we don’t have access to the master tapes, so that means at the very best we have a CD to work from, at worst a record, cassette, YouTube video or whatever, but quality is of no concern as few will notice...

I detest the businesses that do this stuff as they are charging money for shit. If the stuff is in the public domain and the punter doesn’t want to pay the actual custodian of the master tape/rights for a nicely mastered authentic item with the correct artwork and liner notes (ironically protected for longer than the music!) then they should just torrent it. No need to pay a pirate for substandard product.

Thanks Tony. Very well explained reply. I will watch out for this in future.

I can’t claim to have discovered this (copped it from the Naim forum) but Qobuz are selling the Lou Reed RCA / Arista Albums Collection (16 albums) in 24/96 for £22.99.

...and how do we know which are the genuine ones?
example from speakers corner
This Speakers Corner LP was remastered using pure analogue components only, from the master tapes through to the cutting head. All royalties and mechanical rights have been paid.

Hi
Regards to the Sabbath set on 7Digital, can it be imported into iTunes or is more software required ?

If I recall correctly 7Digital sell FLAC files, which iTunes currently can’t handle. I use dBpoweramp to convert my 7Digital purchases to ALAC, which iTunes is fine with.

advertisement

Back