advertisement

AVI's new floorstanders and subs or three way in two boxes (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bigger Mackies?

824.gif

http://www.mackie.com/products/hrmk2series/specs.html

These are the figures AVi or Ashley says the amps produce...

Quote:
The Bass Amp produces up to 50 Volts and 10 Amps into the 5.1 Ohm load presented by the driver, so 500 Watts peaks and 250 RMS.
The Tweeter Amps does 150 Watt peaks and 75 RMS.

So that's where the figures came from! measure the DC resistance and no load bus voltage, assume the PSU can deliver the full amps at that resistance and voltage, and voila, 500W. That is the worst bit of engineering I have ever heard of. If this was sanctioned by the engineer who designs AVI products, then he is no engineer at all. This is at best misleading, at worst outright lying.
I'm guessing the new speakers have the same amp packs in them? so 80W rms tops? And looking at the scope shots in the video, if I was the designer I would be doing something about the PSU droop that this system suffers from. It is unacceptable in a quality product. So we are beginning to find out some of the specs thanks to the digging being done by members of the public. Any wors on the rest of the spec?
Cheers
Mort

From the Avi Blog...

5. ADM 40s will have a total RMS power per speaker of around 750 Watts and be able to produce instantaneous peaks of an incredible 3000 Watts or over 120 dB!

ADM40s will easily outperform more expensive, old fashioned three way speakers several times the size and price.

So to conclude 3000 watts at 120db and will outperform speakers costing £21,000.
They must be good then!

http://avihifi.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/third-way.html

Not Event Opal large though! So I'm looking around now. Because I really liked the Mackies I'm looking at active monitors at the mo.

The Opals are bloody good though! How about some of the smaller genelecs or even a pair of active focals?

If they were out performing speakers several times the price, it seems strange that they were shelved doesn't it? it would be good if they could update the blog then.

By combining the best of modern subwoofer and two way speaker technology in a compact active, three way, AVI have produced floor standing speakers that have the most dynamic range of any available, the cleanest, purest sound you will hear and without any ugly metal boxes or even a separate sub.

For the last few months since selling the Mackies I have been using Cambridge Audio's Minx satellites.....it was a wife driven decision. To be fair to them, for vocals they actually sound very impressive. I'm guessing the lack of a crossover helps there. But I said if I wasn't completely happy then I'd be going back to something larger. Not Event Opal large though! So I'm looking around now. Because I really liked the Mackies I'm looking at active monitors at the mo.

Ive got some BM5a MkII at the moment they look a lot smaller than the Mackies thanks to the chamfered metallic grey baffle, so fit in a bit better than with domestic requirements of those that need that sort of thing. The biggest drawback is the lack of grills, but they are a great little all rounder, i could live with as my only speaker and be very happy.

Also like the idea of the Adam A7x, but went with the Dynas because i'd had the Mk Is and they were great, and the Dynas they have a built in highpass crossover and i had a sub i could use for the 60hz down bits.

small-system.jpg

For the last few months since selling the Mackies I have been using Cambridge Audio's Minx satellites.....it was a wife driven decision. To be fair to them, for vocals they actually sound very impressive. I'm guessing the lack of a crossover helps there. But I said if I wasn't completely happy then I'd be going back to something larger. Not Event Opal large though! So I'm looking around now. Because I really liked the Mackies I'm looking at active monitors at the mo.
The KRK VXT range are good vfm. The lit logo on the front and the yellow kevlar cone might not suit you though. I love my little pair of VXT4.
These are the 6s:
http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/krk-vxt6-active-studio-monitor--41868
Pair for £680.

I'm beginning to wonder if Ash is Lim...

AVI:
"AVI have produced floor standing speakers that have the most dynamic range of any available, the cleanest, purest sound you will hear ."
AVC:
"Affordable Valve Company
Chinatown or Lim Aik Leong Signature valve / tube amplifiers
are the BEST AMPLIFIERS IN THE WORLD "

Or maybe Lim is Ash?

Looks like another midband driver in a box to me ;-)

Well beggars cant be choosers as it was virtually free. Ive got a pair of 12 inch subs in the main system, while it doesn't have the quality or headroom of the 12inchers, but it has the same extension 26hz (22Hz at -6dB and 20Hz at -10dB measured) which is bonkers when you see how small it is, no doubt thanks to its 2inches of travel and 1000w (AVI watts!) amp.
Works surprisingly well at reasonable volume in the larger room although it's blutacked to heavy base plate of a speaker stand to stop it going walk about, lol.

Yup, a flawed notion I think.

Dont knock it until youve heard (and seen) one in action, not only does it work quite well its amusing to watch! :D
And everything together still cost less than a set of ADM9.1s.

Well, we've just had in the Adam Artist 6 which is much better and cheaper than any other speaker in the world made because of the way it is sold and made.

It is only about a thousand pounds in money!

But it has three drivers and not two - like some inferior types. And their measurements are the best ever. They don't use high-powered amplifiers because if it was true that high-power amplifiers were the best then a PA system would be the best high-fi in the world.

If this speaker was sold through evil dealers and not kindly ones, it would be at least four-and-a-half times as much as it is - which is only about a thousand pounds as it is.

Because the Adam Artist 6 is made for proper professional people who listen to things for a living, it is not like a bad joke like all the rubbish some people listen to. In fact, if you buy an Adam Artist from us, Item Audio, conveniently and centrally based in North Staffordshire, close to the Junction 15 of the M6 (where the speaker is available to listen to now), you will find that it's so good that all DACs and computers and cables - and in fact everything that isn't this speaker - will sound equally unimportant.

Unlike almost all the other rubbish and much more expensive floorstanding active speakers - some of which cost in the regions of two thoudsand pounds or more - the Adam Artist 6 is available in black, and white. Frankly, if you buy anything other than the Adam Artist 6, you have disobeyed the laws of science and shown yourself foolish.

It is surely not for no good reason, or without cause, that Adam speakers are used by thousands - or maybe Tens of Thousands - of people worldwide who love them and say that they are the best. Which they are. Especially the new three-way ribbon-like active FLOORSTANDING Artist 6 at only roughly a Thousand ponds (English).

I have the 8260's here ,and two 7270 subs, they are stunning speakers, Digital crossovers,built in AD and DA and active room correction.
Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back