advertisement

Audiophile

It was becuase of a deal I couldn’t refuse! a great P/X price against some speakers I’ve wanted for the last 10 years or so! I’ve a history with ATC, with the SIA2-150 and SCM20SL partnered with a meridian 588, wired with stereovox throughout. It was an amazingly well balanced system.

what got this move going was at high volumes and with Roomperfect i found the limitations of the Arcs quickly, considering the type of music i listen to, at quite high volume levels, (70% electronica) was wanting the bass to be controlled so was thinking of adding the boundary woofers and an SDA2175, but that’s another £3000ish, my upgrade to what i have now was less and that’s all that it came down too.

Oh yes ,and the fact that after getting a CDP again but only using on the odd occasion, seamed daft to have one worth so much. I still prefer HDD music after all.
I’m not one to keep kit long anyhow but this must be a record, even for me.

PS loving the new Kit, the BM/ATC combo rocks.

Raj,

I prefer to be at the trailing edge of technology, thought and awareness of other people's systems. The cutting edge requires far too much cerebral processing power for someone with such shockingly limited intelligence as myself.

Anyway, I was just a bit confused to see a different equipment list in your tagline since you were happy with the previous system.

Joe

I know the discussion is about the implications of being perceived as an audiophile, rather than the etymology of the word. It strikes me, though, that it's one of those words of mixed race, part Latin and part Greek, like television. Mind you, the Germans, usually masters of precision and logic, seem to have abandoned Fernsehen in favour of TV, pronounced tay-fow. Anyway, what we need is a more precise term derived from one or the other language, or our own excellent Germanic tongue. How about "audio amateur" or "euphonophile?"

When I was in the States, I used to read various magazines in which the term "hi-fi buff" seemed to be the favourite. I never really liked that.

When I was in the States, I used to read various magazines in which the term "hi-fi buff" seemed to be the favourite. I never really liked that.

Buff: More heels, pearls and turkey dinners but with Old Spice, a pipe and Cadillacs with fins thrown into the mix. I smell tubes warming up though which is always a good thing.

I'm ok with Audiophile. I did get into a spot of bother once when I said I was a vinyl fan to a person who had an actual realio-trulio vinyl fetish... that got interesting and a bit creepy.

advertisement

Back