advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the Disc Clamping "Puck" rubbing with no disk in the tray - sadly "Normal" with this loader Mech. Its OK with a Disc loaded (the thickness of the disc prevents the Puck from rubbing within its "Hole" on the top of the support "bridge" - above the loader)...
Yes, it was certainly this kind of noise. Interesting that it was only heard after the device was on for a couple of hours. When cold it wasn't making any unusual noises. Luckilly the one I have now does not make any such annoying noises (the first one I had was also quiet).

How is the volume control by USB supposed to work in CDQ when enabled in menu? Should a volume slider eg. in Windows change the attenuation in CDQ?
I noticed one very nasty thing happening with the USB volume control activated - every time my computer was being turned on (or waken from standby) with the CDQ set to USB input, but also when the CDQ was powered on (regardless of the active input), the volume was reset to +3dB!!! NOT FUNNY... I scared myself and my family once with music suddenly playing at all the power my 8000P could provide... Luckily my speakers survived it... Since then I no longer experiment with this option and keep it disabled.

Vodnik,

That’s why we don’t enable the "Volume via USB control" by default - different O/S perform differently.

MAC OS / IPad work well, but in typical Microsoft style - useless for the reasons you noted.

Also, MS does not implement "feedback" so adjusting the volume on the CDQ does not change the slider on the PC.

It’s only meant to be used by advanced users - with stable well implemented O/S (Not Microsoft products). I believe there is a warning in the user manual for this very reason...

John

I'd like to hear your thoughts on why you would not just buy the Cambridge Audio NP30 streamer or the Squeezebox offerings?

I cannot understand how anyone would spend more then the Squeezebox - what do the other offerings offer that the SB does not?

I'm talking about a streamer connected to an external DAC - so forget the internal DAC quality.

MDAC attenuates Jitter to such a large extent - I would have a hard time recommending spending anymore on a streamer then the cost of the SB... So I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

Where does the Squeezebox fail? (it has a great screen, User Interface etc)?

John

Hi John, thanks for the info on the transport. Honest, no illicit surveillance methods going on here!

Your recommendation on the Squeezebox Touch makes me wonder about my own plans for streaming. If you feel the MDAC's jitter attenuation is so good it doesn't matter what device is employed as a streamer, that's great news once the MDAC is out.

My system is CDQ based, and I'm still working out what the best to stream to it is. Thanks to your characteristic generosity I have the transformer upgrade, the obvious benefits of which I had less than a day to explore before the new improved CDQ was packed off on a slow boat to South Africa.

Before it disappeared I had been using an old XP laptop running foobar to stream to the CDQ - a set up that markedly improved once a USB isolator was added to the system. I also bought a Squeezebox to experiment with once the CDQ arrived in Africa and as an interim solution while I wait for it. (You don't even want to know what the SB is currently streaming FLACs to via its RCA outs. Save to say it's impossible to judge the quality of its internal DAC...)

Once the CDQ gets here I'll try the USB-isolated PC against the Squeezebox over optical and see which performs best. If the PC wins, the SB can serve as a streamer/DAC for a second system in the house.

My doubts about the Squeezebox's sound quality come from reading online. Most reviews and reports suggest it has limitations as a streamer even into a high quality DAC like the CDQ. Those have led to a well-used series of suggested modifications to improve the output available here http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-squeezebox-touch-toolbox-20.html

The most promising solution appears to be to modify the Squeezebox to output over USB and then take advantage of the CDQ's asynchronous USB connection (plus a USB isolator). Despite a lot of effort, though, no one seems to have worked out how to get the SB to USB stream to a CDQ without drop outs...

That's a shame because in most respects the SB solution would be ideal. The interface is great, the integration of internet radio good, it handles 24/96 without problems, and there are some great ancillary programs such as Spicefly Sugarcube which are just a great way to explore a big music library. You can also use the fantastic Squeezepad iPad app as a remote control that does everything I want and more.

I'm extremely interested to hear what your conclusions and recommendations are for both the MDAC and the CDQ. I find it very hard to know what the important characteristics of a good streaming solution are, and bemused by the prices of offerings from the likes of NAIM, Cyrus and Linn.

I've really enjoyed exploring the different ways to listen to music that come with a NAS drive full of lossless music files and, thanks to your good self, I know have a DAC that sounds sublime. It's just the transport from NAS to DAC that remains a conundrum... Be great if you can solve that one too!

Best, Duncan

I believe there is a warning in the user manual for this very reason..

I'm a IT professional and engineer - this means that I only read manuals as a last resort when everything else fails :D

EDIT: Just checked the manual and it only informs that the feature is not compatible with Windows and is not recommended, even though it may work with some players. It does not say that it can actually be dangerous if enabled...

I'm a IT professional and engineer - this means that I only read manuals as a last resort when everything else fails :D

Hi Vodnik,

I just hope it is mentioned in the Manual, I know we did talk about it with the manual writer - but these things can get missed - especially as it was a feature that was added to the software after the first manuals had been written...

It’s hard to keep the Manual in Sync. with our updates - especially when we don’t talk about the additions to anyone in China (as there’s no one who would understand – and they would only say No anyway).... Our manual writer in the UK is great, as he just gets on with it by himself - once he gets the latest units :) Great!!!

John

MDAC attenuates Jitter to such a large extent - I would have a hard time recommending spending anymore on a streamer then the cost of the SB...

Hi John, have you managed to get a listen to the SB (or any SPDIF source) into the MDAC and compare it to the Async USB? I've asked here a couple of times but no response.

Also, any idea when the CDQ OLED/Transformer upgrades will become generally available? I wasn't able to get along to the Hi Fi show unfortunately, much as I'd have loved to. I'm still on the very original CDQ software waiting patiently for this so I can kill all my birds with one stone... That should keep me going until the QDAC :)

Cheers,
Tim

I use
- Squeezebox - SB3 so nowhere near as good a user interface as latest models, but still good nonetheless

Hi Chris, I have both the SB3 and Touch, and as far as I know they can both be controlled from an ipod touch (get a cheap one off ebay) using the iPeng app. This removes any user-interface comparisons, and to be honest, I prefer the large uncluttered display of the SB3. I only really bought the touch to see if I could get the Asynch USB working (which I couldn't). The only reason I've left it in place is that it can do 24bit 96kHz, whereas I believe the SB3 is limited to 16/48 (I might slightly wrong, but I know it's less high def capable). If you can live without that, then I think you've done the right thing sticking with the SB3.

Where does the Squeezebox fail? (it has a great screen, User Interface etc)?
Well, since you asked (and since this might feed into your own streamer product)...
I still yearn for the most simple and powerful search engine I've ever used... the one in Winamp. You can type any series of words which it then finds in any tag and in any order and filters the results as you type. So for example, I could type "belle dog" and, without even pressing enter, it will instantly find me "Belle & Sebastian - Dog On Wheels", as would "wheel seb". Because it also searches the genre tag, I was even able to use this to store my own portable star ratings and mood information. Fancy something to relax to with a 3 star rating or more ? Just type "*** [R]" and up they pop. Yes, I'm that sad.

Elegent simplicity, and fantastic for people like me who can never remember the title of the track they want to find. Never seen this implemented anywhere else, although I'm sure it must have been.... hasn't it ?

I really don't get media players that force you to search within specific tags or for fixed phrases (like Squeeze Server does).

I currently have 120gb of legally acquired music, all FLAC rips of my cds, and a number of 24/96 and 24/192 recordings which I purchased and downloaded (which are even larger than the FLAC rips). I do envisage this doubling in the next 5 years or so.

Gig-wars eh? Well, my ripped flacs have already exceeded your 5 year forecast. Bring on the next contender :D

I use a mini pc because of it's flexiblity. Also things like codecs etc are usually easely downloadable and your not waiting for firmware updates for hardware. Thats if they ever happen. I'm not a MAC person (except iphone) I like to build my own computers so I know what I'm getting. I have no network problems as My NAS and main listening PC are linked by a GigE switch both full duplex (no collisions) Only other pc connected to the switch is my i7 recording studio based pc. All other pc's phones are connected over wi fi . I would consider a SB for other rooms but would not use wireless for my main hi fi PC. It wouldn't work anyway as I have hi def movies and hi bit rate files recorded.

By the way I mix to 32 bit float files which play fine using Cubase or wavelab but other media programs don't recognise this format so I have to convert to 24bit. Does anyone else use this type of file?

I would consider a SB for other rooms but would not use wireless for my main hi fi PC. It wouldn't work anyway as I have hi def movies and hi bit rate files recorded.
The SB Touch is both wired and wireless and does hi def up to 24/96. Obviously no good for movies though :)

edit: oh sorry, you were talking about your PC. I'll just shut up (at last).

But the frequency of the clock in the DAC is driven by the (inherently varying) frequency of the clock embedded in the s/pdif input - hence the need to dejitter, through PLLs or ASRC or whatver. No matter how good that is, it can't be as good as not having to in the first place.
No. The whole point about a word clock generated by the dac is that it becomes the master clock and everything else is slaved to that clock. The dac no longer cares if the bits arrive in a slovenly manner because it knows it's in control of when the whole word will be processed.

So there's no dejittering involved.

It's (sort of) analogous to async USB - the dac (master clock) controls the rate and precision with which the data is fed into the dac instead of having to be the slave to the transport

In other posts JohnW explicitly mentions 3 stages of de-jittering. I think the Sabre chip uses ASRC too. The clock in the MDAC could only be a true master if it was fed to the source and controlled the source clock too. This is common in studios, and used by people like dCS, but not done (so far) in the MDAC.

Hi Chris, I have both the SB3 and Touch, and as far as I know they can both be controlled from an ipod touch (get a cheap one off ebay) using the iPeng app. This removes any user-interface comparisons, and to be honest, I prefer the large uncluttered display of the SB3. I only really bought the touch to see if I could get the Asynch USB working (which I couldn't). The only reason I've left it in place is that it can do 24bit 96kHz, whereas I believe the SB3 is limited to 16/48 (I might slightly wrong, but I know it's less high def capable). If you can live without that, then I think you've done the right thing sticking with the SB3.
there's a similar interface for the android

Though I like there being a glossy interface in the device playing. I keep pondering the use of a Windows tablet for the hifi pc so that it's got a built in display and people could wander up to it without wondering who's disappeared with the 'remote'.

But I'm now on something like the 4th or 5th rebuild/update to my hifi pc to get it fast/quiet/cool enough and don't trust a current w7 tablet pc to do the same things

In other posts JohnW explicitly mentions 3 stages of de-jittering. I think the Sabre chip uses ASRC too. The clock in the MDAC could only be a true master if it was fed to the source and controlled the source clock too. This is common in studios, and used by people like dCS, but not done (so far) in the MDAC.
Yes it is. That's why I keep repeating this. Look at the back panel of the mdac

..IIRC from previous posts John said the sabre's dejitter downs't really work so is bypassed in the Audiolab products

Here's the full list of remote codes for CD/CDQ & DQ:

Code:
Audiolab 8200CDQ RC-5 Remote codes
==================================

System code 20:
---------------
NUM_0			0
NUM_1			1
NUM_2			2
NUM_3			3
NUM_4			4
NUM_5			5
NUM_6			6
NUM_7			7
NUM_8			8
NUM_9			9
TIME			11
STORE			20
DISPLAY			21
REPEAT			29
TRACK_UP		32
TRACK_DN		33
TRIG_EN			40
TRIG_DIS		42
OPEN_CLOSE		45
PAUSE			48
SEARCH_DN		50
SEARCH_UP		52
PLAY			53
STOP			54
FILTER			55
DIG_UP			56
DIG_DN			57
MENU			58
PROGRAM			59
USB			101
COAX1			102
COAX2			103
OPT1			104
OPT2			105

System code 16:
---------------
MUTE			13
VOLUME_UP		16	
VOLUME_DN		17

System code 5:
--------------
VIDEO			63

System code 17:
----------------
TUNER			63

System code 20:
---------------
CD			63

System code 21:
---------------
AUX			63

Audiolab 8200DQ RC-5 Remote codes
=================================

System code 13:
---------------
NUM_0			0
NUM_1			1
NUM_2			2
NUM_3			3
NUM_4			4
NUM_5			5
NUM_6			6
NUM_7			7
NUM_8			8
NUM_9			9
MUTE			13
MENU			14
INFO			15
VOLUME_UP		16
VOLUME_DN		17
DISPLAY			18
USB			20
AUX			21
OPT1			22
OPT2			23
COAX1			24
COAX2			25
BAL_R			26
BAL_L			27
TRACK_UP		32
TRACK_DN		33
PRE			34
TRIG			35
PRESET			36
FILTER			47
PLAY			53
STOP			54

System code 5:
--------------
VIDEO			63

System code 17:
---------------
TUNER			63

So how do you feed the clock from the MDAC to say a squeezebox ...?
Let's start from where I started first...
with a dedicated lakewest data transport, it would be designed to use a word clock whenever it was available

For any other device, the options are
- it may already have a word clock input built in
- you'd have to mod the circuit
- you wouldn't bother
a squeezebox would fit into one of the latter two options

Interestingly, the back panel photos of the mdac show both a word clock out a word clock in connection - the 'sync' connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back