advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newby here: I'm considering buying the M-DAC, but I also need the AV-bypass option.
I have some questions what to expect of the external power supply update/AV-bypass.

My setup would be :
- Denon 3808 for AV, pre-output RCA
- M-Dac for Stereo, pre-out XLR
- Power-supply/AV bypass: RCA from AV, XLR from M-DAC, output XLR to power-amp.

Questions:
would this setup work ? (RCA and XLR inputs, RCA tranformed into XLR output) ?
when could we expect this power-supply/AV switch ?

Hi andrek,

Yes the psu will be capable of coverting the rca of your reciever to xlr so both your av amp and mdac can be connected to your power amp by the same xlr output on the psu.

Your planned setup is very close to mine without conversion of rca there would be no way of getting both sources connected by the same cable unless you settled for rca from mdac aswell.So the psu should ideal for your setup, IIRC JW said it would be Feb 2012 at the earliest.

John, i follow this thread for a long time and i have a question. I have a lot of 24/192 files on hard disc (vinyl rips and hires downloads) and want to play the music from my MacBook Pro with Audirvana Plus (player software). Which will bring better sound quality: to use the MDAC with USB and with Upsampling (not bit perfect…) ore to buy an high quality 24/192 USB/SPDIF-Converter (Audiophilleo2, Stello U3…) and go with the coaxial input? From what i understand the USB input of the MDAC is more jitter-optimized than the coaxial input…? What do you think? Best regards from Berlin, Uwe

I don’t recommend using Upsampling on the PC as this will just introduce Transient ringing (standard FIR response) - I suggest just setting the MDAC Digital filter to Optimal Transient or Optimal Transient XD type.

If you can wait for 4-5 months, then our matching CD Transport / Streamer will offer isolated & clock-lock Async. USB to 192 kHz.

Otherwise, yes MDAC's Async. USB input is "Clock-Locked" to the DAC - so in thoery offers better performance then the SPDIF inputs, however I believe the difference should be small.

John

Newby here: I'm considering buying the M-DAC, but I also need the AV-bypass option.
I have some questions what to expect of the external power supply update/AV-bypass.

My setup would be :
- Denon 3808 for AV, pre-output RCA
- M-Dac for Stereo, pre-out XLR
- Power-supply/AV bypass: RCA from AV, XLR from M-DAC, output XLR to power-amp.

Questions:
would this setup work ? (RCA and XLR inputs, RCA tranformed into XLR output) ?
when could we expect this power-supply/AV switch ?

Yes, the PSU AV bypass will convert a Single-ended RCA input to a nice buffered balanced signal - The PSU should be available in 2 - 3 Months. As we get closer to the date, it would be good to know how many people are interested in units - so we can plan production numbers.

John

Yes, the PSU AV bypass will convert a Single-ended RCA input to a nice buffered balanced signal - The PSU should be available in 2 - 3 Months. As we get closer to the date, it would be good to know how many people are interested in units - so we can plan production numbers.

John

Hi John,

I checked out previous posts going way back, but I must have missed it: what are the characteristics of this upcoming PSU? If it provides sound performance benefits, I would certainly be interested. I'm planning to purchase my M-DAC soon; they are coming out in Canada on Dec. 1st according to Planet of Sound Distribution web site. I haven't heard it (nor any previous Audiolab products for that matter), but the good things I have read on this thread and all your postings have convinced me this is the way to go. Since I have active speakers (Linkwitz Plutos), I intend to make use of the digital preamp. By the way, my previous DAC contender was a Bel Canto 1.5. I currently run a DACMagic (going thru my Arcam AVR280).

Cheers,
Martin

Absolutely! Just let me know when we could meet there (the sooner, the better - driving through mountains in snow wouldn't be much fun...) and I'll plan a trip - it's about 7 hours drive from Warsaw.

We where just visiting our place in Jeseniky this morning, and thought we would pop over to Poland - the Czech / Polish boarder being only 25km or so... well I can say that unless you have a 4x4 with Diff-Lock and Winter tyres, theres no way you would want to do the jorney in the Snow - not atleast the route we took.

The roads on the Czech side where bad enough, but 50m over into the Polish side, and we did a U-Turn... Pot-Holes & totally covered with damp, wet leaves - as soon as you have Snow and Ice, No way...

Sadly, I dont have any OLED update kits until I visit China this month... so it will be December or so before I'mm be back in Czech with the kits...

John

Hi John,

I checked out previous posts going way back, but I must have missed it: what are the characteristics of this upcoming PSU? If it provides sound performance benefits, I would certainly be interested. I'm planning to purchase my M-DAC soon; they are coming out in Canada on Dec. 1st according to Planet of Sound Distribution web site. I haven't heard it (nor any previous Audiolab products for that matter), but the good things I have read on this thread and all your postings have convinced me this is the way to go. Since I have active speakers (Linkwitz Plutos), I intend to make use of the digital preamp. By the way, my previous DAC contender was a Bel Canto 1.5. I currently run a DACMagic (going thru my Arcam AVR280).

Cheers,
Martin

Ill be the first to admit that we haven’t listen to the MDAC with "Upgraded" PSU yet, but from past experience upgrading PSU's always results in sonic benefits - so I'd be amazed if it’s not the case with the MDAC... It will just be a question of how much benefit the PSU will bring...

We have some clever tricks that should result in a superb PSU - but nothings for sure with audio...

John

Shame Squeezepad can't remote control Foobar, Foobar can't interface with Squeezeserver, no one's been to get a Squeezebox to stream properly to asynch DACs, or someone can't come up with a version of Squeezeslave that streams 24/96 over USB....

-- Duncan

Vortexbox might give you options...

Yes I would be interested in the psu. I take it it will be the same size and choice of finishes?

Yes - we will try to match the Colour and Finish... not sure how stable MDAC production will be in this regard... But we will do our best :)

John

theres no way you would want to do the jorney in the Snow - not atleast the route we took.

Hmm... Not good... There aren't too many road options available, unless I add a couple more hours to the trip (and the trip was already too long to go there and back in one day, so I would have to find some hotel to spend a night in). But if the road is as bad as you described it then it probably wouldn't be such a good idea to try and drive there in December...
I need to check other routes, but it doesn't look good.
As much as I would love to meet you and have my CDQ upgraded by you personally, maybe I should consider other options. Maybe you could send the kit to me or to Horn Distribution (or arrange to have someone in IAG UK send it) and then folks at Horn would install it. They are supposedly good at all the service work, so once they have the parts and instructions, they should do a decent job. I just wonder if they have the equipment required to upgrade the software?... Payment for the kit shouldn't be a problem, as there are many options available: credit card, bank transfer, PayPal etc.. Actually I started to be a bit worried about the cost of the trip to Jeseniki - with todays petrol price and with the hotel stay included it would make the total cost of my CDQ upgrade quite high...

Pawel

I could look at adding a clock-lock interface to it...

Hi John, sounds superb. Much as this would be my dream modification, only do this if it's for your own benefit aswell as mine. I know you must be massively busy. If you're serious though, please PM me a postal address and I'll sort that out no problem at all.

Hmm... Not good... There aren't too many road options available, unless I add a couple more hours to the trip (and the trip was already too long to go there and back in one day, so I would have to find some hotel to spend a night in). But if the road is as bad as you described it then it probably wouldn't be such a good idea to try and drive there in December...
I need to check other routes, but it doesn't look good.
As much as I would love to meet you and have my CDQ upgraded by you personally, maybe I should consider other options. Maybe you could send the kit to me or to Horn Distribution (or arrange to have someone in IAG UK send it) and then folks at Horn would install it. They are supposedly good at all the service work, so once they have the parts and instructions, they should do a decent job. I just wonder if they have the equipment required to upgrade the software?... Payment for the kit shouldn't be a problem, as there are many options available: credit card, bank transfer, PayPal etc.. Actually I started to be a bit worried about the cost of the trip to Jeseniki - with todays petrol price and with the hotel stay included it would make the total cost of my CDQ upgrade quite high...

Pawel

After driving across the “Mountain Pass” between Poland and CZ I can understand - we would offer for you to stay with us - and take a short break, we have a small hotel (Pension) really (I'd not charge you for the room), with a short ski slope with ski lifts behind.... odd really as having grown up in England from the age of five I cannot ski and hate the cold (that’s not to say that it’s not cold an damp in England).... but it’s really beautiful in Jeseniki in the spring / summer...

Might be easier to post to me in CZ - But I worry abut the delivery system - and the risks involved...

John

Hi John, sounds superb. Much as this would be my dream modification, only do this if it's for your own benefit aswell as mine. I know you must be massively busy. If you're serious though, please PM me a postal address and I'll sort that out no problem at all.

Hi Tim,

Without looking at the clock structure in the SB, I will not promise I can add a clock-lock interface - but I'll sure have a good try :)

Hold on - does this mean you’re going for an MDAC? :)

I knew I'd get you...

I’ll PM you with my address in Czech Rep.

John

Why not cross the border at Česky Ťěšín/Cieszyn near Ostrava? It's a river crossing rather than a mountain pass. There was a nice Italian style restaurant on the Polish side the last time I visited although this was a long time ago.

John, it was my fault - i did'nt mean "upsampling" but Downsampling (from 24/192 files to 24/96). But if the new transport will feature 24/192 i will wait and buy one :) What will it cost?
Uwe

If you can wait for 4-5 months, then our matching CD Transport / Streamer will offer isolated & clock-lock Async. USB to 192 kHz.

John

If you are going to make a transport with CD mechanism, would it be more logical to update a CDQ with MDAC output stage and other transport/streamer features? As a potential buyer who still is interested in CD and need to make a savings before purchase, I will be confused, especially you earlier said that there is a later plan to update a CDQ with MDAC output stage as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back