advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regards the streamer are you planning to do the software side yourselves?
How much in isolation can you develop the hardware side without the hooks into software controls. If it were standard processor based, bespoke PC dedicated for audio, but still able to run PC applications like iTunes / Spotify / Puremusic etc etc... would this be possible ? Or am I alone on these requirements?

Our streamer will be more of a simple DLNA / uPnP device - with basic Internet radio etc. There’s no way we have the resources build a fully fledged all singing all dancing Streamer... but you will be able to stream Spotify from your PC Wirelessly etc.

John

Our streamer will be more of a simple DLNA / uPnP device - with basic Internet radio etc. There’s no way we have the resources build a fully fledged all singing all dancing Streamer... but you will be able to stream Spotify from your PC Wirelessly etc.

John

This is what I thought, but was hinting at alternative possibility about you and Domonik pimping a PC based product to you own design. Not bothering with the software.
There would have to be huge jump in SQ in comparison to all the other streamers available if the usablility is not there.

This is what I thought, but was hinting at alternative possibility about you and Domonik pimping a PC based product to you own design. Not bothering with the software.
There would have to be huge jump in SQ in comparison to all the other streamers available if the usablility is not there.

I’d want to just make a simple (quite) little box that bridges the world of Computers / HiFi… I hate computers - they never work, unstable and I don’t want to spend days working out how to use them, only to find a few days later that its stopped working for no apparent reason! Life is too short!!! I just want HiFi (music) with no fuss or tears!!!

Our streamer will be Bit perfect up to 24/96kHz & Clock-locked to the DAC - so should make a great Audiophile device :) (I hope)

John

Does it means that there will be no support for any decoding onboard? For example, to be able play flac files we still need computer who do decoding before data goes to streamer?

Hi Gints,

There's very good technical advantages in separating the Streaming device (with its WiFi connection) and USB (with its PC Ground noise) from the DAC sections...

The units will feature Clock-Locked operation; so much is to be gained from separating the "Noisy" sections from the DAC - with no performance "Disadvantages" (due to Clock-Locking)...

John

Hmm, maybe it is not bad at all. On other hand it is financially more easy to build good system from blocks then spend big money all at once.

Hi John,

I've placed my order for an MDAC now. Can you tell us anymore about your plans for the power amp and specs? It'd be pretty cool to connect the two via XLR :)

Gracey

Hi John,

I've placed my order for an MDAC now. Can you tell us anymore about your plans for the power amp and specs? It'd be pretty cool to connect the two via XLR :)

Gracey

The MDAC raises the price / performance bar at its price - but I cannot think of power amps at the price point that they deserve...

We are keeping the Specs. of the Amps under the lid - as we might go for a Patent on the designs - they will have a very interesting OPS topology... We are excited as they should sound very good... (I Hope)

Yes, they will have XLR inputs + can be used as a Stereo Amp, Bi-Amp or Bridged :) So you can upgrade your system by adding amps.

I guess I can say that they will be Class A Mosfet OPS with CROSS (with a twist) + 100W a channel :)

John

Or the SB?

If you use a SB as basis that'll be great!

I'm a very happy SB user. A Touch in my main system and a Radio in my bedroom.

A Touch with an async USB link to a CDQMDAC would be an awesome combination!

If you use a SB as basis that'll be great!

I'm a very happy SB user. A Touch in my main system and a Radio in my bedroom.

A Touch with an async USB link to a CDQMDAC would be an awesome combination!

Gosh, by SB standards - our streamers UI going to be real crap, it well just be good enough to do the job - noway we can compete with there software or Display etc. :(

Adrian on this thread has offered to look into the linux Audio stack on the SB and to see if he can get the Async. USB going.

I'l also take a look at TimR's unit ands see if its possible to add Clock-Lock interface.

MDAC has such High Jitter attenuation, that I'm not sure its really needed...

John

Gosh, by SB standards - our streamers UI going to be real crap, it well just be good enough to do the job - noway we can compete with there software or Display etc. :(

John

My Linn Sneaky DS has no interface at all, a streamer doesn't need one, a good control point like Song Book etc. is all we need.

Oh, and whilst you are online John, any news on the first MDAC batch? I've been away so may have missed the latest and the preorders thread seems to have no real info to share...

Might it be worth contacting them and seeing if you can license their system, but use your own hardware? That would be pretty sweet...

I guess I can say that they will be Class A Mosfet OPS with CROSS (with a twist) + 100W a channel :)

John

100 Watt class A is going to dissipate a phenomenal amount of heat, will it have dynamic biasing or some form of current dumping to keep the dissipation down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back