advertisement

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!

Try to contact DAVID GIFFIN at Goldring.

He is very friendly, open to a chat and very fair. and he does fantastic work

I had a very similar issue with an Audio Note IO and he managed to fix it for me.

No harm in asking the question.

Try to contact DAVID GIFFIN at Goldring.

He is very friendly, open to a chat and very fair. and he does fantastic work

I had a very similar issue with an Audio Note IO and he managed to fix it for me.

No harm in asking the question.

Ta.:)

What I would do is claim the insurance, then try and get the Cadenza Black repaired by Goldring or Expert, with a view to selling it, but in the meantime search for a good cheaper cartridge, so you won't have stylus-wrecking angst for the next 2 or three years.

The Hana SL is really good but it requires 500 Ohms loading. Myrman, did you have that loading option? I remember you were also trying an AT33 at the time (for a second system, I seem to think); I was just wondering if you loaded them both at 100Ohms?

OP, sorry to hear that, but phone your home insurance company. I did something similar last year, and my insurers paid out.

The Hana SL is really good but it requires 500 Ohms loading. Myrman, did you have that loading option? I remember you were also trying an AT33 at the time (for a second system, I seem to think); I was just wondering if you loaded them both at 100Ohms?

I really can't remember member now. I was going through a few phonostages at the time too. The AT was on a Thorens 125 Mkii with an Acos Lustre arm. That was a lovely combo.

If I were in your predicament, definitively would give the insurer a call.

As far as a replacement, if you are keen on trying an MM I would look into a mid-range Nagaoka. A 150 or 300 might do the trick.

Did this to my Yamaha MC1-s cartridge whilst 'carefully' packing it up for a house move....

That's my second one in a year. :( Aaaaarrrgggghhhhh Indeed.

Did this to my Yamaha MC1-s cartridge whilst 'carefully' packing it up for a house move....

That's my second one in a year. :( Aaaaarrrgggghhhhh Indeed.

The pain never stops does it?

Going to give the insurers a call Tuesday- wish me luck.:D

A rite of passage I'm afraid. Every audiophile needs to do it at least once on their journey. I've done it twice, an Ortofon MC10 Supreme and a Denon DL-103. Weapon of choice was a yellow duster both times.

Not done it yet maybe because I dont dust my TT , I use a high quality paint brush and a tiny keyboard vacuum ;)

Upon realization, I went into a blackout. I remember little.

I did it to my Skala ... and was beside myself with the stupidity of my action.

Better to forget these things?

I'm off expensive moving coils. Done. Forever.
(I've heard that before.)

I have been pleased listening to a MM Ortofon 2M Black these last couple years. I was made ready to return to my 70's roots. And this Ortofon moving magnet sounds better than the Grace F8s and F9s I loved in the late 70s.

WTS

Ship it Soundsmith in NY. Shipping costs are minimal, service is fantastic, and the whole thing round trip will cost likely 300 sterling.

Better to forget these things?

I'm off expensive moving coils. Done. Forever.
(I've heard that before.)

I have been pleased listening to a MM Ortofon 2M Black these last couple years. I was made ready to return to my 70's roots. And this Ortofon moving magnet sounds better than the Grace F8s and F9s I loved in the late 70s.
I'm inclined to do the same (despite protestations from Glickman), particularly after checking out current retail prices for Lyras. The Kleos may well be my last MC. I was suitably impressed by the 2M Bronze. I would also like to use the superb and C/R adjustable phono stage on my vintage preamplifier. An Ortofon 2M Black at less than a quarter of the asking price of a Kleos is like downgrading from a BMW M5 to a Subaru BR-Z. It may not have the nth of finesse and authority, but I don't think it'll concede much by way of enjoyment.

My only uncertainty is how much life is left on the Kleos. I must buy or borrow a microscope to take a good look at the contact surfaces.

advertisement

Back