1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'audio' started by Tarzan, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Chaps, been in touch with my Insurance people, and they want me to ship the cartridge to them for inspection, is this SOP for this type of thing?

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

A repair in the offing?

3. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

Yep I think so especially considering the value.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

See my post 19, Tarzan; I know it was a long time ago, but I'd be surprised if they'd installed an audio expertise section. I rather think they'll simply offer you a compromise payment rather than attempt to either repair or replace it.

5. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

I suspect they just want to know you actually have the item and will then offer a price based on current retail replacement value.

I doubt they will actually get it inspected, more likely an anti fraud thing.

6. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Thanks chaps, am sending the Caddy off Monday, will report back in due course.:)

7. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Yup, I had to send them mine.

They paid out full price of a new replacement, minus my excess. I was most impressed. Even though the cart was low hours it was, after all, used. Hope you get a similar outcome.

8. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Put an Ortofon 2M Red on the T/T in place of the Caddy Black- and am rather enjoying it!:D

9. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Thread update;

Insurance paying out, however have to pay excess.:)

l could do with some advice please, l am getting nervous about replacing the Black with another expensive cartridge, so am thinking of downgrading to something less expensive like a Cadenza Bronze, Hana SL or Ortofon 2M Black the latter as l have put a 2M Red on my deck and actually really enjoyed it!

l am asking these daft questions as l do not have bundles of experience with cartridges..........

Or should l stop being silly and replace the Black with a Black.......

10. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

Cartridges are very personal, like speakers. It's not always a case of paying more gets you something better. I bought my first DL103 as something to use whilst my very expensive Lyra was being rebuilt, and found that it did some things better than the Lyra, despite being a fraction of the cost. I'm currently using a Decca London Gold, because it's great fun to listen to, despite it's obvious shortcomings and it's theoretical incompatibility with my TT/Arm. If you are constantly worrying about the cost and fragility of your needle, you may be more reluctant to use it.

11. Pinky

Pinky In suspense, not compressed

As you're liking the 2M red may be consider a 2M black?

12. hi-fi132

hi-fi132 pfm Member

My vote would be an AT33PTG/II, I've had a few costly cartridges but this is still the best £419 I've ever spent and in my opinion it fits your description.

13. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Dynavector 10x5 great cartridge and a great all rounder and at under 500 within range.

14. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Rega Carbon , Mr Clumsey :D

15. radine

radine hermit

You've made the claim. You might as well get another Cadenza Black or other top flight cartridge. What's the worst that can happen? Another claim. At least in the meantime you won't be regretting downgrading.

16. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Caddy Black awaits pick up.:rolleyes:

17. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Box-swapper extraordinaire

Enjoy!

18. allthingsanalog

allthingsanalog pfm Member

Done the same with my Delos this year. Direct Line paid out the exchange price less £100 excess. My insurance only went up by about £3 a month. It's a pain but it's what accidental damage is for.

19. allthingsanalog

allthingsanalog pfm Member

I would really like to try one if these one day.

20. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

That's what I've noticed in my 30 years of using progressively more expensive MCs. Must get that 2M Black soon and see if I use, or even like, it more than the Kleos.