advertisement

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I've noticed in my 30 years of using progressively more expensive MCs. Must get that 2M Black soon and see if I use, or even like, it more than the Kleos.

I had a 2M Black on my 301. It's a terrific cart.

I also had a Lyra Kleos. Unfortunately, it's in a completely different league.

If I had a vinyl set-up back (lottery win required to have a house where this would work for us) I'd have the Kleos again in a heartbeat.

Linn Karma got totalled by the Wife's over zealous duster. Was not happy. Still got the Troika I replaced it with, albeit rebuilt by expert stylus.

Some years ago i destroyed my Shure V15 type V MR.
I am stil missing this special sound ...

I had a 2M Black on my 301. It's a terrific cart.

I also had a Lyra Kleos. Unfortunately, it's in a completely different league.
I appreciate your experienced perspective. I have a sneaky feeling I'm not getting the most of of my Kleos (ARO/LP12) fed through a DV-P75mk1. Don't get me wrong. I think it sounds fabulous. But when I had a 2M Bronze (on Pioneer PL-71 and fed through Pioneer C-21 preamp), the difference wasn't as stark as I had expected.

A 2M Black will be an opportune purchase (i.e. discounted pricing) rather than a pressing matter. I have a Tiger-Paw Elevator to safeguard the Kleos from my clumsy fingers.

Ok chaps l have another question :rolleyes: Do MC Cartridges in general prefer a valve based system - just curious like.:D

That suggests to me you're worried the Cadenza Black inclines to the lean and detailed sound and needs valves to give it extra richness. Did you already order it, because if that was your concern I would have gone for a Miyajima or an SPU. If not, then I'd answer your question with a no. I personally thing the Cadenza Black is a stunning cartridge, but I would take care that I didn't use it with a system that inclined to the relentlessly revealing.

Ok chaps l have another question :rolleyes: Do MC Cartridges in general prefer a valve based system - just curious like.:D

There is no such correlation that I know of. Probably not for any cart. either. Much more synergy needed with tone-arms, phono stages, amplification and speakers.

My Quintet Black is robust and super-smooth and informative, costs a lot less than the Cadenza.

My personal trashing was a Dyn XX2 about 15 years ago - combination of wobbly LP12+Aro and large glass of Beaujolais... (insurance OK, very nice woman came round and hadn't got a clue what I was talking about).

That suggests to me you're worried the Cadenza Black inclines to the lean and detailed sound and needs valves to give it extra richness. Did you already order it, because if that was your concern I would have gone for a Miyajima or an SPU. If not, then I'd answer your question with a no. I personally thing the Cadenza Black is a stunning cartridge, but I would take care that I didn't use it with a system that inclined to the relentlessly revealing.

Possibly this..... though my Beatles re-issues sound amazing.:cool:

Hi Tarzan
Not if it's of interest but I'm just about to post a for sale thread for my Ortofon Quintet Black, super condition, approx 70 hrs on it. Cracking cart.

Let me know if it's of interest.

Sorry to post a sale on your thread.

Cheers steve.

sorry for you op., its so frustrating when that happens!
I broke 3 denon dl-103r myself!

if you have a med to high mass arm, id take a dl-103r over everything under 1k. easily the best bargain in analog imo

Ortofon black is bit brighter, bit more details. if you want a "full" sound, the denon dl-103r is quite robust sounding, slightly warm and musical.

Doing some swotting up on possible replacement cartridges, Benz Micro Ace SL, would this give me a full, smooth and musical sound.... my T/T is Gyro SE/ HR PSU/Audionote Arm1 phono stage is going to be Project Phono Box RS, l have seen and heard the Arm 1/ Benz combo in an unfamiliar but very expensive system at a show and loved the sound.:)

- combination of wobbly LP12+Aro and large glass of Beaujolais... (insurance OK, very nice woman came round and hadn't got a clue what I was talking about).
A large glass of Beaujolais often does that to women, in my experience. It's all to the good.

Doing some swotting up on possible replacement cartridges, Benz Micro Ace SL, would this give me a full, smooth and musical sound.... my T/T is Gyro SE/ HR PSU/Audionote Arm1 phono stage is going to be Project Phono Box RS, l have seen and heard the Arm 1/ Benz combo in an unfamiliar but very expensive system at a show and loved the sound.:)

I think a Benz would be good for you, because your Phono stage has complete control over loading. I think a lot of people try Benz on 100 Ohms and don't hear them at their best. I find the Benz sound to be very refined, smooth and detailed, with very good frequency extension when loaded correctly. It doesn't quite have the dynamic punch of an AT or the guts of a Grado, but I think they are very well balanced over all. Expert Stylus do very good deals on Benz if you supply them with a knackered old cheap MC cart.

More advice needed chaps, l have just purchased the Hana SL, but am unsure as to what tone arm to attach it to, my SME V or Audionote Arm 1- which will sit on my Maxxed out Gyrodec, any thoughts?:)

I'd have thought Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL would be a good combination, certainly the one I'd try first.

advertisement

Back