advertisement

Arkless modified Cambridge 640P: First Impressions

Here is an appraisal by the latest person to go the Arkless way.... cut and pasted verbatim from email:

"Hi Jez

I picked it up this morning and have just plugged in and set it all up. On about my second album from cold, I also played it back to back with a standard CA 651.

The first ting that i've noticed is the degree of separation in the music - with a New Order track much more clarity in the higher frequencies and a better depth in the bass. Moving on from this to a bit of original dub plate Augustus Pablo (where the quality of the recording is rougher) I found a wider soundstage and less "blur" (if that's a technical term) between the instruments - much better clarity and less hurried. Treble is vastly improved - without any tinniness, but without compromising the midrange or bass. Brass sounds fruity as anything and really rips - even at lowish volume.

This is a vastly improved phono amp. Much improved volume output - not that I really need it (but more usable at lower listening levels).

To be honest - I don't have a great deal of experience with other phono stages, but did have a Linn Sondeck and quad 33/303 set up in the 80's. Currently I run a Project Xperience with Ortofon Rondo Red going thorough a Naim Uniti 2 and then B&W PM1s - small but perfectly formed. Chosen mainly due to the size of the room.

Your modifications have transformed what was already a good sound. I say this without any proper running in - so things can only get better.

Many thanks Jez - if you want to use me as a testimonial - feel free. I'm not an all out audiophile, and don't spend too much time analysing specifications - I prefer to spend the time listening to my music.

Best wishes and Happy New Year,

Mike"

Good morning - the Arkless went out to you yesterday and should arrive today before 1pm. Hope you enjoy it - I think you will.

My review will follow shortly.

But don't get too excited - I'm not that good when it comes describing hifi - well, not in terms that others will understand anyway!!

Ha! it has landed , and all is warming up just now :), few albums are on standby and then yay! (have you guessed im excited?)

Well the first few albums have given me some excellent feelings for this little gem of a phono stage. Everything has a 'live' feel, soundstage appears to be imrpoved over my stock MF A5 phono, gain appears to be much higher. Notes are crisper without being too sharp.

So far I like it. It does however seem to make records noisier , they do crackle and pop a lot more alas.

Well the first few albums have given me some excellent feelings for this little gem of a phono stage. Everything has a 'live' feel, soundstage appears to be imrpoved over my stock MF A5 phono, gain appears to be much higher. Notes are crisper without being too sharp.

So far I like it. It does however seem to make records noisier , they do crackle and pop a lot more alas.

Glad you like it so far :)

Can't say I had any problem whatsoever as far as record noise goes with the 5 different cartridges I tried it with.... Maybe it being much more revealing than you are used to it's allowing you to hear things you hadn't noticed so clearly before? Some integrated amps have a fairly rounded off phono stage to cater for rather rough sounding budget cartridges that the manufacturer expects to be used with them.

worth checking your loading as transients from snap crackle and pop can be exaggerated by highish output carts into high gain stages.....also it's a good excuse to clean your styli....

I big thanks to Jez for letting me have a demo... and sorry for the delay in getting this review on here! Been trying to think of the right words to use... But sod it.... here goes.....

My system is:

RP3 with Exact and TTPSU
Rega Elicit 1st or 2nd generation (unsure as purchased second hand)
RS5's

I did warn Jez in advance that I'm no audiophile and don't necessarily have the correct vocabulary to be describing my findings. Music is my main passion, hifi an interest more so recently, but I'll give it a go.....

As my setup is in the living room, I don't often get a chance to really sit and listen without being disturbed.

On the the first couple of vinyls I'll be honest, I didn't hear a massive difference. But that I think that was down to me having too many things going on around me. However, I walked into the kitchen away from the music (and distractions) and suddenly heard a clarity I'd never heard that far away from the speakers. It was Talking Heads 'Naked' album. I couldn't help but be dancing around when I was doing whatever I was doing.

This started to make me listen more attentively and make sure the were no distractions. I was listening to each track through the Elicit and through the Arkless for a comparison. I suddenly realised a big difference and a definite preference to the Arkless sound.

The high end seemed far more open and clear/crisp. This was most noticeable on the Necks 'Mindset' LP (Daylights side). The high hats were dancing around all over the place! I did also note a very subtle increase of surface noise with this LP, but only slight and the improvement in sound made it worth it. The sound effects/electronics at the start also more penetrating and intense....

Overall, there was more detail in most tracks I listened to. Vocals seemed more lifelike and more as if in the room. Notes on pianos seemed richer and some seemed to last longer (if that's at all possible?).

Bass seemed fuller but still very controlled. A few friends were over for the main listening evening. One of which is the bassist for a band (Origamibiro), so obviously has an ear for bass in particular, he also said there was a improvement with the Arkless (massive in his words). He and the two other friends over that evening were all listening to the changes in phono stage blind. Most times they suggested that the Arkless sounded better.

Some of the other vinyl listened to included tracks from:

Keith Jarrett - 'The Koln Concert'
Levon Vincent - 'Stereo Sytems'
The Trembling Bells & Bonnie Prince Billy - 'The Marble Downs'
Deaf Centre - 'Neon City EP'
Massive Attack - 'Heligoland'
Loscil - 'Sketches from New Brighton'
Tortoise -'Standards'
Fransesco Tristano - 'Auricle/Bio/On'
Deaf Centre - 'Pale Ravine'
Karenn - 'Sheworks004'
Shackleton - 'The Draw Bar Organ EPs' - this sounded absolutely amazing.... But I think the wine was working by then also!!

I hope this made some sense...... And thanks again to Jez.

Does anyone have a 640p they want to sell me cheap please?

Nb. Apologies for spelling and grammatical errors. I'm very tired..... Good night!

Does anyone have a 640p they want to sell me cheap please?

Eddie - I may have one for sale in a couple of weeks, just got hold of one to check a channel imbalance I've got with my turntable. If it sounds as good as the phonostage in my Sony amp (doubtful) I may well keep it and have it modded. But, if it's significantly inferior I can give you first shout on it if you were interested.

Eddie - I may have one for sale in a couple of weeks, just got hold of one to check a channel imbalance I've got with my turntable. If it sounds as good as the phonostage in my Sony amp (doubtful) I may well keep it and have it modded. But, if it's significantly inferior I can give you first shout on it if you were interested.

Yes please......... Gutted - just missed some on Ebay at a good price..

All I could say about the standard 640 was that I wouldn't bother with vinyl full stop if saddled with that. Sorry to be so negative but I really couldn't see the point. Any £150 CD player would offer far better quality.

These upgrades must work miracles. Well done.

All I could say about the standard 640 was that I wouldn't bother with vinyl full stop if saddled with that. Sorry to be so negative but I really couldn't see the point. Any £150 CD player would offer far better quality.

These upgrades must work miracles. Well done.

Nice bump for a really excellent audiophile product Merlin and you are quite right the upgrades do "work miracles".

I think from my own experiences of the 640 that may be a little bit strong and yes the thing doesn't exactly sh*t diamonds. However, I found it perfectly acceptable on its MM input (if lacking gain) and certainly a neat & tidy sounding unit which for the 100 quid it was new, good value.

The MC unit is poor though, I'll give you that.

advertisement

Back