1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkless modified Cambridge 640P: First Impressions

Discussion in 'audio' started by mickhick1, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Aren't vinyls things they stick on the side of a train to make it prettier? :D

2. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

^^^ They are, also floor coverings, he means records!

3. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Yes. Records. That's the word. ;)

4. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

Hi, Jez, I'd love to add my name to try the demo unit again, please.
    If you don't still have my details, please PM me.

5. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Just to say I have one and I love it. Great work, Jez.

6. Arkless Repairs

Arkless Repairs Trade: Arkless Repairs

Yep best PM me. In fact this is probably the best idea for anyone wanting to try the demo unit.

I will need there to be a few more people wishing to try it though before sending it back out on its rounds.

Turn round time for conversions is around 2 weeks at the moment BTW.

Oh and just in case anyone else is into this odd new mono thing, I was asked to make one with a mono switch a couple of weeks ago and was able to re-use the subsonic filter switch for this, so mono switch now available...

7. TCar

TCar pfm Member

I am interested in a demo as well but out of the country for the next two months so will have to go well down the list.

8. Arkless Repairs

No problem.

9. Arkless Repairs

Anyone else want to try it? I'll need more than 2 before it's going anywhere.

10. Arkless Repairs

As this forum has a lot of Naim fans I'll mention that these have been particularly popular with Naim users as they major on speed, PRaT, good bass and detail retrieval etc...

Many customers have found the Arkless 640P a worthwhile upgrade over the Prefix and the built in phono stage in most Naim pre amps for example.

If a lush, warm, "valve like" sound is your thing you may not like it, as, although it is tonally very accurate it "tells it like it is" and doesn't add any lushness etc.

As a point of comparison, several customers have found the Dynavector P75 to be it's closest rival in "sound for the pound" (the P75 is going on 3 times the price of the Arkless though) with most finding them pretty evenly matched overall. Those who prioritise soundstaging, smoothness and "airiness" etc tend to prefer the Dynavector but those who prioritise bass tightness, PRaT, detail and slam tend to prefer the Arkless.

In all cases I recall, people have said they had to compare the two at some length to decide which they prefer, but the above differences are the ones usually commented on and given as a reason they chose one over the other

11. Arkless Repairs

12. jimi

jimi pfm Member

Can your phono stage loadings be changed by the end user like the P75's can so that numerous cartridges can be used with it both mc and mm?

13. Arkless Repairs

Yes. Loading plugs are used in the now redundant MM sockets to set whatever loading is desired. It is not in fact a modified Cambridge Audio but entirely Arkless circuitry used and after conversion the MC input sockets are used for both MM and MC leaving the former MM sockets available for loading plugs.

14. jimi

jimi pfm Member

It sounds like quite a flexible bit of kit then.

15. Arkless Repairs

Another one ordered this afternoon after a local home demo :)

There are various people asking about budget phono stages elsewhere on the site and this will beat any of the things being recommended so get a home demo of it!

16. gary7751

gary7751 New Member

Hi Newbie here, just had Jez's phono stage on demo, ( i am local to Jez).
    The sound was superb, currently searching Ebay for donor unit.
    Thanks for the loan, cannot wait for my own phono stage
    gary

17. Arkless Repairs

Glad you like it Gary! Good luck with the bidding on the bay...

18. Arkless Repairs

Bump.... Not enough people interested in hearing it so far for me to send it out...

19. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

Do you use any of the Cambridge boards as I’ve got a 640 with lifted and busted tracks around the opamps. If anyone wants it for price of postage for jez to tinker with then drop me a pm...

20. Arkless Repairs

I do. It is possible that it could be reclaimed enough for use....I'd charge a bit extra for all the time and effort it would take to make the mods work with such a damaged board though. It would be less than the second hand cost of a donor unit though.