1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkless modified Cambridge 640P: First Impressions

Discussion in 'audio' started by mickhick1, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

I would be interested in what the mods were for a Rega Ear?

Cheers

John

2. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I'm sure Jez would be interested in you coming round to his house and performing whatever it is you do at work free of charge for him for a few hours too.... ;-)

3. Arkless Repairs

Arkless Repairs Trade: Arkless Repairs

4. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

I would be interested to know what work was suggested Jez perform free of charge?

5. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

I hope you are going to do ABX DBT to prove that you are not imagining the improvement ;)

6. Arkless Repairs

How about obtaining schematics and technical details for the Rega and doing an analysis of what could or should be done to improve it..... Just to appease peoples curiosity?

7. Arkless Repairs

It's a big difference Steven... ABX DBT not required :D

8. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

I thought all phono stages sound the same?:rolleyes: can you supply mesurements for old and modified to back up that statment ?

Alan

9. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

steven i always volume match when comparing...this new modded stage has lower noise and tighter bass and better depth.....if i thought you were actually interested in vinyl i'd record the differences so you could hear it for yourself....but you are not.

i'm sure jez did what he needed to do when designing the upgrade....

i thought you were an admirer of boutique customised gear, why the attempts at derailing this thread, or did i miss the winky smiley?

10. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

it has lower noise it's quite easy to hear.

jez did mention superior burr brown things and better gain structures etc etc....that sounds like sensible engineering to me....

11. jaz9706

jaz9706 pfm Member

I would love to hear the comparison as I am toying with the idea of this mod myself.

12. Arkless Repairs

Ho Ho Ho! No and no (well yes but what would be the point?)

I seem to be branded an objectivist on this forum me thinks! :D

I vehemently deny it your honour!

There are huge differences between things that can sound different!

And none between things that would be breaking the laws of physics if they did produce a difference that was detectable and repeatable.

And that's where that discussion ends.... for me anyway. Plenty of threads on mains cables, interconnects, supports etc elsewhere.

As it happens, phono stages are where the biggest audible differences exist in amplification! And for sound technical reasons... (obviously a dodgy SET with 1 Watt output and 10% distortion would sound erm.... "different" but that's another matter entirely!)

13. Arkless Repairs

A loaner demo unit will be available very soon ;) Maybe if you live somewhere near Darryl or Mike you could ask one of them if it would be convenient for them to let you hear theirs?

14. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

i'm in mid essex. london side.

15. mickhick1

mickhick1 pfm Member

I live in The New Forest area and would be happy to demo or loan to someone from PFM on a personal collection basis.
    Mike

16. 337alant

If its easy to hear then it must be measurable using a noise spectrum signal analiser yes?.

OOh yes drop in the Burr Brown buzz word yes sounds very technical :rolleyes:

Alan

17. 337alant

Yes you are branded an objectivist by your own conviction im afraid.
    The original unit has the following specification which is pretty good (for £99). So if you wish us to believe that these are not just perceived changes that you think you hear then could you provide measurements to show how you have improved on this specification

Azur 640P phono stage
    Max. Power Consumption: 5W
    Gain @ 1kHz: 39dB / 55dB
    Nominal output: 300mV
    Sensitivity for nominal output: 3.35mV / 0.5mV
    THD 20Hz-20kHz: <0.007%
    RIAA curve accuracy <+/-0.3dB 20Hz-50kHz (subsonic filter off)
    Signal to noise ratio (using Audio Precision RIAA-1 with grounded inputs) >86dB / 72dB

Crosstalk @ 20kHz: >76dB / >72dB

Alan

18. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

not sure why you are trolling and trying to ruin this thread....

i said 'it sounds' like it has less noise - i don't get you problem with my statement....

what's wrong with burr brown devices that makes you sneer at them....?

don't really get why you popped up here at all except to break the aup.

if audio is your hobby why not go and do something positive related to that rather than spam this thread with bad vibes....:rolleyes:

19. paskinn

paskinn pfm Member

Slightly sideways: a combo which works surprisingly well is a decent step-up into the mm stage of the Cambridge. I know several people who have been quite taken aback by the improvement. If you have a sut in the cupboard it could be wirth trying into the cambridge. It certainly makes mincemeat of the mc stage of the Cambridge (which is a bit of kit I rather like in its basic form.)

20. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Yes, I currently use a step up device into the Cambridge mm input.