advertisement

Arkless modified Cambridge 640P: First Impressions

I'm sure Jez would be interested in you coming round to his house and performing whatever it is you do at work free of charge for him for a few hours too.... ;-)

i pretty much agree with that....the midband has more get up and go and better depth and central image focus than the 640....more guts and drama.

i'll try to get a fuller write up this week....i'm a bit busy 'not earning £40,000 a year' at the moment....

oh and i am using it as a mm stage at the mo....

I hope you are going to do ABX DBT to prove that you are not imagining the improvement ;)

I thought all phono stages sound the same?:rolleyes: can you supply mesurements for old and modified to back up that statment ?

Alan

I hope you are going to do ABX DBT to prove that you are not imagining the improvement ;)

steven i always volume match when comparing...this new modded stage has lower noise and tighter bass and better depth.....if i thought you were actually interested in vinyl i'd record the differences so you could hear it for yourself....but you are not.

i'm sure jez did what he needed to do when designing the upgrade....

i thought you were an admirer of boutique customised gear, why the attempts at derailing this thread, or did i miss the winky smiley?

I thought all phono stages sound the same?:rolleyes: can you supply mesurements for old and modified to back up that statment ?

Alan

it has lower noise it's quite easy to hear.

jez did mention superior burr brown things and better gain structures etc etc....that sounds like sensible engineering to me....

steven i always volume match when comparing...this new modded stage has lower noise and tighter bass and better depth.....if i thought you were actually interested in vinyl i'd record the differences so you could hear it for yourself....but you are not.

i'm sure jez did what he needed to do when designing the upgrade....

i thought you were an admirer of boutique customised gear, why the attempts at derailing this thread, or did i miss the winky smiley?

I would love to hear the comparison as I am toying with the idea of this mod myself.

Alan

Ho Ho Ho! No and no (well yes but what would be the point?)

I seem to be branded an objectivist on this forum me thinks! :D

I vehemently deny it your honour!

There are huge differences between things that can sound different!

And none between things that would be breaking the laws of physics if they did produce a difference that was detectable and repeatable.

And that's where that discussion ends.... for me anyway. Plenty of threads on mains cables, interconnects, supports etc elsewhere.

As it happens, phono stages are where the biggest audible differences exist in amplification! And for sound technical reasons... (obviously a dodgy SET with 1 Watt output and 10% distortion would sound erm.... "different" but that's another matter entirely!)

I would love to hear the comparison as I am toying with the idea of this mod myself.

A loaner demo unit will be available very soon ;) Maybe if you live somewhere near Darryl or Mike you could ask one of them if it would be convenient for them to let you hear theirs?

A loaner demo unit will be available very soon ;) Maybe if you live somewhere near Darryl or Mike you could ask one of them if it would be convenient for them to let you hear theirs?

I live in The New Forest area and would be happy to demo or loan to someone from PFM on a personal collection basis.
Mike

it has lower noise it's quite easy to hear.

jez did mention superior burr brown things and better gain structures etc etc....that sounds like sensible engineering to me....

If its easy to hear then it must be measurable using a noise spectrum signal analiser yes?.

jez did mention superior burr brown things
OOh yes drop in the Burr Brown buzz word yes sounds very technical :rolleyes:

Alan

Ho Ho Ho! No and no (well yes but what would be the point?)

I seem to be branded an objectivist on this forum me thinks! :D

I vehemently deny it your honour!

There are huge differences between things that can sound different!

And none between things that would be breaking the laws of physics if they did produce a difference that was detectable and repeatable.

And that's where that discussion ends.... for me anyway. Plenty of threads on mains cables, interconnects, supports etc elsewhere.

As it happens, phono stages are where the biggest audible differences exist in amplification! And for sound technical reasons... (obviously a dodgy SET with 1 Watt output and 10% distortion would sound erm.... "different" but that's another matter entirely!)

Yes you are branded an objectivist by your own conviction im afraid.
The original unit has the following specification which is pretty good (for £99). So if you wish us to believe that these are not just perceived changes that you think you hear then could you provide measurements to show how you have improved on this specification

Azur 640P phono stage
Max. Power Consumption: 5W
Gain @ 1kHz: 39dB / 55dB
Nominal output: 300mV
Sensitivity for nominal output: 3.35mV / 0.5mV
THD 20Hz-20kHz: <0.007%
RIAA curve accuracy <+/-0.3dB 20Hz-50kHz (subsonic filter off)
Signal to noise ratio (using Audio Precision RIAA-1 with grounded inputs) >86dB / 72dB

Crosstalk @ 20kHz: >76dB / >72dB

Alan

If its easy to hear then it must be measurable using a noise spectrum signal analiser yes?.

OOh yes drop in the Burr Brown buzz word yes sounds very technical :rolleyes:

Alan

not sure why you are trolling and trying to ruin this thread....

i said 'it sounds' like it has less noise - i don't get you problem with my statement....

what's wrong with burr brown devices that makes you sneer at them....?

don't really get why you popped up here at all except to break the aup.

if audio is your hobby why not go and do something positive related to that rather than spam this thread with bad vibes....:rolleyes:

Slightly sideways: a combo which works surprisingly well is a decent step-up into the mm stage of the Cambridge. I know several people who have been quite taken aback by the improvement. If you have a sut in the cupboard it could be wirth trying into the cambridge. It certainly makes mincemeat of the mc stage of the Cambridge (which is a bit of kit I rather like in its basic form.)

advertisement

Back