advertisement

Aristocrat guilty over Gina Miller post

He's been given six months to come up with the £500 he has to pay to his victim. M'Lady told him she'd send the bailiffs in to take his furniture if he failed to comply. Surely someone can help him out?

Movements tend to start with ideas, which are propagated by repetition and publication. That, as I'm sure you know, is why hate speech is deemed illegal (to answer also your first question) - it either incites gullible and stupid people to do things, or it creates fear in people who might expect to have those things done to them, neither of which is something which should be tolerated in a civilised society.
Connect that to the pug video. He is clearly not selling Nazism, therefore there is no case to answer, however innocuous or not you personally find the video.

The HRA has many sensible and necessary checks and balances. For every right decreed by the Act, each article then sets out the circumstances in which the state is permitted to interfere with that right. We threw nothing away when we adopted it, and will likely throw away plenty if we discard it.

As I'm sure you have been told many times before.
You've always failed to grasp that giving rights is the wrong way around. You have intrinsic rights, it's governments that need restraint from infringing on them, not citizens. As it stands you have no right to free speech other than as allowed by the courts. I think it's a shame you're so happy to throw away something you used to have as a right.

Paul

When and as the lawmakers may agree. I think in countries that do outlaw hate speech, "gas the jews" is just the sort of thing they mean. Advocates murderous violence against a persecuted minority, doesn't it?
Not without a context. So you are at no risk for writing 'gas the Jews', for example.

The 'innocuous' was not a fair reading of your position? The fellow was just 'taking the piss' wasn't he?
He was taking the piss out of Nazis. You constructed more from it, and whether it is innocuous or not shouldn't matter if it's satire. In the UK it clearly does by law.

It's hard to have any sympathy for the Viscount who is the object of this thread, but I find it equally hard to support a legal process that jails him for what he wrote. I think there should be a higher bar, to show intent to actually procure a murder or other crime, so it becomes conspiracy and you don't need laws that make speech criminal.

Paul

Not without a context. So you are at no risk for writing 'gas the Jews', for example.

He was taking the piss out of Nazis. You constructed more from it, and whether it is innocuous or not shouldn't matter if it's satire. In the UK it clearly does by law.

It's hard to have any sympathy for the Viscount who is the object of this thread, but I find it equally hard to support a legal process that jails him for what he wrote. I think there should be a higher bar, to show intent to actually procure a murder or other crime, so it becomes conspiracy and you don't need laws that make speech criminal.

Paul

Right. It was just a cute dog video. And Pepe is just a frog.

Is that the way of it? He was using the dog as cover to get a jillion repetitions of 'gas the jews' out there? Ha ha ha, I gamed the system?

Could be. I'm willing to let a jury decide.

"Just words" can inflict harm. Viscount's sanctions for malicious word attack proper.

Connect that to the pug video. He is clearly not selling Nazism, therefore there is no case to answer, however innocuous or not you personally find the video.

I can't view the video (problem with sound at the mo') but it doesn't have to be Nazism to fall foul of the law. See my point above about influencing gullible and stupid people.
You've always failed to grasp that giving rights is the wrong way around. You have intrinsic rights, it's governments that need restraint from infringing on them, not citizens. As it stands you have no right to free speech other than as allowed by the courts. I think it's a shame you're so happy to throw away something you used to have as a right.

No, you've failed to grasp that the HRA simply states the rights, and then does exactly as you say, by setting out the restraints on how government may infringe them, by determining the limits of any justification for that infringement.

If the rights are not formally set out in law, how would anybody challenge the state if they had been unjustifiably infringed?

I agree, Merlin. I don't wish for either.

And yet the social violence knowingly caused by strategists in the financial sectors (by way of an example) causes more death and suffering than any "radical regime" involved in such military and paramilitary action over the course of history - hence the need to be aware of the threats caused by radical capitalism.

If we can justify military action or political assassinations against the one then I see no moral contradiction in justifying the same action against the others.

I see capitalist extremism as the pursuit of personal or tribal wealth regardless of the short and long term damage it does to society and the majority of those living in those societies. IME the world is a better place without such extremist ideals.

And yet the social violence knowingly caused by strategists in the financial sectors (by way of an example) causes more death and suffering than any "radical regime" involved in such military and paramilitary action over the course of history - hence the need to be aware of the threats caused by radical capitalism.

More faultless logic; of course knife manufacturers are guilty of every murder committed by stabbing. Death to all financial strategists and death to all knife manufacturers :D

I did call David Cameron a cvnt a couple of years ago but after investigation and a review of the evidence the charge was quietly dropped.

:-D Just as well, as if that was the criteria circa 90% of pfm would be going down.

Hence that well known phrase "guns don't kill people gilt-edged bonds do"

The c^^t should have been jailed for a couple of years, not a mere 12 weeks as reported by The Independent.

The English are often racist, especially the aristocrats. Many of them made their money through hating foreigners and exploiting them.

Jack

The English are often racist, especially the aristocrats. Many of them made their money through hating foreigners and exploiting them.

Jack

I'm not English, but the above is a pile of horse manure. And this is from jacko who thought about voting UKIP a year or two ago!

Gina Miller has been threatened with acid attacks, reports The Guardian.

"The campaigner who won a Brexit legal challenge against the government, has revealed that she has been receiving threats of acid attacks for months and is afraid to leave her home.

"The businesswoman said that if the threats continued and became too much to bear she would “seriously consider” leaving the UK.

"“I have been getting threats of having acid thrown in my face for months and months now. When I see someone walk towards me on the street with a bottle of water or something, I just freak out,” she told news website Verdict magazine."

Some Brexiteers are obviously psychopaths.

Jack

The threats are entirely credible, we already have one woman murdered. The only questionable part was the £5000 reward for her killing, published by Baron Strange Knockyn- the wastrel pissed the family fortune up the wall and is a declared bankrupt. He's actually skint but possibly out of jail already with an ankle tag on, so it could be a DIY job.

Maybe now is the time to remind the extreme Brexiteer ****wits that Gina Miller did not attempt to reverse the referendum result.

Mull

advertisement

Back