advertisement

Apple Keynote. Have I missed something?

you could place your "extra" storage on a web server (cloud is just a silly marketing term for that)

The cloud is not really a web server and they all offer a huge range of services within the ever expanding definitions of IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, etc. as well as all sorts of of protocols in addition to http. You can of course run a web server in the cloud but that's somewhat different.

Likely I will be getting an X. Don't need or use all the daft stuff but the screen is bigger and better than my 6 plus will probably get a watch at the same time. As for price, it is just a business expense and a business tool. If I couldn't afford it I wouldn't buy it. I've kicked the expensive cars habit so with no depreciation and no payments I'm 6K a year up anyhow .

Likely I will be getting an X. Don't need or use all the daft stuff but the screen is bigger and better than my 6 plus will probably get a watch at the same time. As for price, it is just a business expense. If I couldn't afford it I wouldn't buy it. I've kicked the expensive cars habit so with no depreciation and no payments I'm 6K a year up anyhow .

I'm up for an X too. Had my 6+ for a while & skipped the 7 as i wanted the large screen but in a smaller case. I think most will when they see them side by side.

Still not sure Apple need 5 phones in their range but it allows them plenty of price overlap between the 5SE at £350 and £1150 for the X.

I've got the series 2 watch and it is very good indeed.
Unless I'm mistaken the only advantage of the series 3 will be the ability to use it without having the phone within Bluetooth range. Good if you want to go for a run without the phone but I can't see many other benefits.

The cloud is not really a web server and they all offer a huge range of services within the ever expanding definitions of IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, etc. as well as all sorts of of protocols in addition to http. You can of course run a web server in the cloud but that's somewhat different.

matthew.

i meant server in a broad sense. i understand that it can be a complex service based on a network of machines (virtual or otherwise), but it is essentially down to software running somewhere on the internet. the concept of "cloud" doesn't really clarify at all what is being done and is meant to suggest some kind of special, invisible magic that is totally different from computing as we know it.

mainly, i was trying to shatter some fanboi delusions by expressing it in the most banal way possible ;-)

i do actually deal with a few "clouds" myself, but as part of business, not personal stuff.

vuk.

Surely you can stream all this on your phone? If not you probably don't want to spend £1000 on a new one :)

I don't 'stream' - I care too much about mastering, so I buy a large iPhone and carry a fair chunk of my lossless music library around with me. The whole library is on my MacBook Pro at home. My current iPhone has 128GB storage, which is enough to carry a lot of high quality music with me in Apple Lossless format. If I buy an X it will be the 256GB version to double that.

FWIW my requirement for a high-capacity laptop is so unusual that Dell will supply one for £349 (link). It's not a great laptop, and the storage is a slow mechanical drive, plus the rest of the spec is pretty ropey, but it makes the point that I'm hardly asking for the moon on a stick here. Ok, Apple will do the spec I need, and me being me I'll buy it, but £2.8k (link) to get the basic usability of my five year old (i7, 16GB, 1TB SSD) laptop does sting a bit! I'd actually like more storage! I'll end up running the current one until it no longer works and is uneconomical to fix as five years on it is still an amazing laptop to be honest, and it is flexible enough that if I wanted to I could get shut of the optical bay and stick another HD in its place, as back in 2012 Apple still made laptops for people like me!

Unless I'm mistaken the only advantage of the series 3 will be the ability to use it without having the phone within Bluetooth range. Good if you want to go for a run without the phone but I can't see many other benefits.

The 3 is just a bit more dosh and you can leave the phone at home when you go out for a pint or whatever. Even better if you can pay with the watch without the phone in range. All you need is a watch.

We used to be an iPhone household but everyone has switched to Android phones now. My wife and son have Samsung S7's and my daughter an S8 however I use a no-name that I got from Amazon for £125 that has an 8-core processor, 4Gb of memory, 64GB of storage (plus another 64GB on via a memory card) and is dual sim so I can have both my personal and work numbers on the same phone. It works well with the Garmin Vivoactive smartwatch I use as well, so I really struggle to see the attraction of a really expensive phone these days!

I've got several of the £5.00 jobs from Argos kicking about that I use when I'm out on mountains and suchlike. The are great and when I am retard that is all I will need.

I know I started this thread, but I've lost track of it. So here goes.

The new Apple TV. 4K?

No it isn't. It's only 2K. So I won't be buying one.

I know I started this thread, but I've lost track of it. So here goes.

The new Apple TV. 4K?

No it isn't. It's only 2K. So I won't be buying one.

I've got one of the old ones kicking about somewhere. I never really found a good use for it (prefer a Roku box) other than as part of a set-up to stream music from my NAS. I think I lost interest in the TV side of it after about half an hour.

matthew.

i meant server in a broad sense. i understand that it can be a complex service based on a network of machines (virtual or otherwise), but it is essentially down to software running somewhere on the internet. the concept of "cloud" doesn't really clarify at all what is being done and is meant to suggest some kind of special, invisible magic that is totally different from computing as we know it.

mainly, i was trying to shatter some fanboi delusions by expressing it in the most banal way possible ;-)

i do actually deal with a few "clouds" myself, but as part of business, not personal stuff.

vuk.

But having ubiquitous access to a gazillion different things from on demand compute, to rental copies of Office to app containers to dynamically provision your app deploy to end users, etc. etc. is different from "computing as we know it" from a few years ago. It's certainly completely changed the way our business works in the last few years and if it were just a bunch of servers in data centres it would not have occupied large numbers of the smartest people at Google, Microsoft, Amazon, etc. for the last 10 years.

I mean yes it's all still just computers, software and networks but in that sense nothing has changed since about 1972 :)

I don't 'stream' - I care too much about mastering, so I buy a large iPhone and carry a fair chunk of my lossless music library around with me. The whole library is on my MacBook Pro at home. My current iPhone has 128GB storage, which is enough to carry a lot of high quality music with me in Apple Lossless format. If I buy an X it will be the 256GB version to double that.

Well I am even more convinced now that you are in your own part of the Venn diagram and Apple are not losing much by not making laptops with obsolete HDDs in them :)

What kind of battery life do you get on the watch?

What kind of battery life do you get on the watch?

For best life I turn on battery saving mode overnight.
I'm on 54% and I think I charged it the night before last.
Without battery saving mode I get over 36 hours on one charge but not a full 2 days.

Why not carry something like the Sony Walkman NW-A35. Plug in a 128gb card and you have really high quality sound for less that 20% of the price of an X.

I've got one of the old ones kicking about somewhere. I never really found a good use for it (prefer a Roku box) other than as part of a set-up to stream music from my NAS. I think I lost interest in the TV side of it after about half an hour.

I was the same. Bought a ver 2, hardly got used but sold at a profit as they can be hacked. Bought a ver 3, little used until a year ago. Then I found out how to get safari live (from the Kruger Park and Masai Mara) using it and it's in use every morning. Youtube too.

advertisement

Back