advertisement

Apple Keynote. Have I missed something?

Why not carry something like the Sony Walkman NW-A35. Plug in a 128gb card and you have really high quality sound for less that 20% of the price of an X.

I'd still need a decent smartphone, so just more stuff to carry, recharge, sync etc, i.e. more hassle.

Why not carry something like the Sony Walkman NW-A35. Plug in a 128gb card and you have really high quality sound for less that 20% of the price of an X.

when I raised this issue -- being able to plug a memory card into a music player or phone -- I was scolded by both Tony and matthew for missing the whole point. I a still missing it , I guess, as this Sony device seems like a great idea to me.

I am typing this on my very first mobile phone. so forgive the typo mess. I just don.t understand the appeal....

vuk. --it wanted to call me "gum"

Starting a sentence with a single lowercase i followed by a space is quite a challenge on a smartphone.

Anyway iTunes 12.7 is out there now. 'We've removed the Store crap'

Er, no.

What has been removed is iOS app management; for the rest (music, film etc) the store is as embedded as always, except now you have no way of managing iOS apps at all, except by only downloading the latest onto each device, from/via each iOS device, via the App store. Uh-huh.

Supposing the developer riddled the latest release with ads? Supposing I want to use the same older-1 version across all iOs devices, and manage that myself? Supposing I want to undo the last flaky version? Supposing I don't want to only be able to use the AppStore on an IOS phone, where it's utterly horrible & inflexible to browse?

And the application meanwhile has ballooned from c.140 to 220MB in doing so. But 'We've removed the Store! `To focus on music, film, BS!'

Ah um#2: more bloat, less functionality; not my flavour.

Took me about 5mins, then reverted via Time Machine to last issue ( to 12.6.2.20, on checking. NB - do make sure you've saved copies of your iTunes .itl /.xml files before you 'upgrade'...)

Interesting, I wonder what the bloat is as that is a very significant percentage! I'll certainly run a full backup before trying it.

PS I have to admit I've never attempted to roll an app back, if they turn to crap with ads etc I just delete them and find an alternate.

I know I started this thread, but I've lost track of it. So here goes.

The new Apple TV. 4K?

No it isn't. It's only 2K. So I won't be buying one.

I cannot find that anywhere on the web, the whole web is saying its 4k, with netflix ultra 4k etc.

Anyway iTunes 12.7 is out there now. 'We've removed the Store crap'

Er, no.

What has been removed is iOS app management; for the rest (music, film etc) the store is as embedded as always, except now you have no way of managing iOS apps at all, except by only downloading the latest onto each device, from/via each iOS device, via the App store. Uh-huh.

Supposing the developer riddled the latest release with ads? Supposing I want to use the same older-1 version across all iOs devices, and manage that myself? Supposing I want to undo the last flaky version? Supposing I don't want to only be able to use the AppStore on an IOS phone, where it's utterly horrible & inflexible to browse?

And the application meanwhile has ballooned from c.140 to 220MB in doing so. But 'We've removed the Store! `To focus on music, film, BS!'

Ah um#2: more bloat, less functionality; not my flavour.

Took me about 5mins, then reverted via Time Machine to last issue ( to 12.6.2.20, on checking. NB - do make sure you've saved copies of your iTunes .itl /.xml files before you 'upgrade'...)

I've just done the backup and installed it, I'd not have noticed any difference to be honest as I don't use any of the streaming stuff! It looks like you can still load old apps you have on your HD with the new system & iOS11, it is just done in a slightly different way (link). I guess this doesn't apply to stuff from now on unless they have a 'purchase history' thing in the iOS store the way they do in the OS X App store, e.g. I can still download a copy of Mountain Lion, Aperture etc.

PS Does this mean I can delete my iTunes/Mobile Applications folder? I'd get 6.5GB doing that!

I've just done the backup and installed it, I'd not have noticed any difference to be honest as I don't use any of the streaming stuff! It looks like you can still load old apps you have on your HD with the new system & iOS11, it is just done in a slightly different way (link). I guess this doesn't apply to stuff from now on unless they have a 'purchase history' thing in the iOS store the way they do in the OS X App store, e.g. I can still download a copy of Mountain Lion, Aperture etc.

PS Does this mean I can delete my iTunes/Mobile Applications folder? I'd get 6.5GB doing that!

My MBPRO sneakily downloaded and installed iTunes 12.7 overnight.

What I don't like, and can't find a workaround under the new 'improved' version of iTunes, is app management - re folders for apps, order of apps in folders, order of app folders on screens etc - which used to be far easier to achieve in iTunes than doing it manually on the phone with all those little wiggling icons for apps dancing around like crazy.

And now, the 'improved' version of iTunes offers you exactly that method of app management, and nothing more it would seem. Quite the backwards step in my view.

Cheers

I cannot find that anywhere on the web, the whole web is saying its 4k, with netflix ultra 4k etc.

My mistake. I saw that it's output is 2160p when I was expecting to see nearer 4000. 2160 is the vertical pixel count, so it is 4K.

Starting a sentence with a single lowercase i followed by a space is quite a challenge on a smartphone.

i don't find that's the case - on an iOS device you just need to press the shift key to stop the i being capitalised - you may also need to press on i in the suggestions row.

What I don't like, and can't find a workaround under the new 'improved' version of iTunes, is app management - re folders for apps, order of apps in folders, order of app folders on screens etc - which used to be far easier to achieve in iTunes than doing it manually on the phone with all those little wiggling icons for apps dancing around like crazy.

And now, the 'improved' version of iTunes offers you exactly that method of app management, and nothing more it would seem. Quite the backwards step in my view.

Again from my own perspective a non-issue as I never used that facility, I just arrange the stuff on the phone via 'wiggly' icons. I actually have comparatively little installed; a cycling app, Uber, a sound level meter, a couple of synths to play with, an astronomy map, a couple of network diagnostics tools and of course Goat Simulator. My iPhone's main roles in priority order are probably a) portable internet/email access, b) iPod, c) camera, d) cycling computer, e) phone and f) toy/everything else. As such it is rather app-lite and music heavy. I know some folk have page after page of stuff installed which must be a PITA to order.

I've just had another look around iTunes and docked the iPhone and I'm not personally seeing anything to hate here. Everything I use is still there and the interface seems no more awkward to use. Good to see the ability to check and upgrade the iPhone/iPad OS is still there, I'd not want to be forced into only having on-air updates as they often seem a less reliable way of applying a new OS version.

Its good for the 4 films out there in 4k

Lots more than that, obviously, and it's worth the extra outlay. Stunnng images if in HDR. And perhaps the ATV 4K will give the studios more incentive to accelerate releases.

I actually have comparatively little installed; a cycling app, Uber, a sound level meter, a couple of synths to play with, an astronomy map, a couple of network diagnostics tools and of course Goat Simulator.

Wot, no Plane Finder? I find it therapeutic knowing what make of plane is disturbing the peace of my garden as it comes in to land. Here's one right now... it's an ATR 72-600 apparently. Never heard of those before.

The mistake was probably not calling the 8 the 7S. The current range is a bit odd as they have jumped from 7 straight to 8 without the S speed-bump/bug-fix/minor new feature release. They have done something similar before in that the 5C was never a high end phone, it was released from the off at the budget end (and was actually a really nice phone). I certainly saw a good few 5Cs out and about, so the budget aspect can't have been seen as too 'plebeian'. The current range is 6S, 8, 8 Plus and X, so a nice spread of budgets and no bad phones. The thing that annoys me is they always restrict the storage on the budget model so people have to move up the range to get a really good iPod.

The 5C didn't sell that well in comparative terms but was actually a bit of a bargain, well built internal, slightly improved RF performance in poor service areas and very resilient to drops. I preferred the form factor of the 'C' to the 5 / 5s at the time although for some unfathomable reason I still bought the 5S

advertisement

Back