advertisement

Alternative phono stage for Rega P8 with Ania Pro MC (not Aria Mk3 or Graham Slee Reflex C)

Rothwell Rialto performs well and has mm/mc - better on mm and paired with their MCX transformer if using MC.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi, I have at home Rega Planar 9 2nd gen with Lyra Delos and currently three phono stages at home: Rega Aria mk1, Electrocompanient ECP1 mk2 with Edwards audio power source and Rega Ios (model 2008). I love all three phonos. Aria is most flexible(MM and MC), Electro is simply better on MC than Aria. And the winner is by a big margin Rega Ios. Still sounds amazing for me also with Lyra cartridge. I have also second spinner Rega P25 with Goldring Elite MC cart. Here is Ios better as well. For me is an old Ios still hidden diamond among others more "modern" preamps. I used up to 12 different phono preamps in cca 28 years. Before my loved combo was Benz Glider SL (on P25) with phono Benz Micro Lukaschek LP1. This was also phenomenal combination. And some 25 years back I loved Musical Fidelity X-LP with Goldring 1042 MM. And one more to recommend: Mc Cormack Micro Phono, very rare but I think this will be better than Aria as well. Best regards. Juraj

Huei is in the house:

PXL-20240424-174605321.jpg

The dealer I bought the Rega phonostage from have let me try a Chord Huei.

Just connected it up......

Oh, that's precisely what I was about to suggest....

Big fan of the Huei; currently with my P10/Apheta 3, but previously with the same combo as you. To my ears it definitely outperformed an Aria, and I was coming from a £3k stage.

Worth experimenting a little with the gain and loading settings. The joy of the thing is, it has a lot of gain on tap, and everything is adjustable from the buttons, rather than accursed DIP switches.

Oh, that's precisely what I was about to suggest....

Big fan of the Huei; currently with my P10/Apheta 3, but previously with the same combo as you. To my ears it definitely outperformed an Aria, and I was coming from a £3k stage.

Worth experimenting a little with the gain and loading settings. The joy of the thing is, it has a lot of gain on tap, and everything is adjustable from the buttons, rather than accursed DIP switches.
Thanks for that. What was your favourite setting on the Huei with the P8 combo?

@Tim Jones was it yourself who owned an RSL phono stage or am I getting you mixed up with someone else? Just wondered what you thought of it against all these others?

@Tim Jones was it yourself who owned an RSL phono stage or am I getting you mixed up with someone else? Just wondered what you thought of it against all these others?

I did for a while, yes. It was very good at the price; although the Huei edged it.

A really flexible transimpedance stage - certainly better than Dr T on a P75 - quieter, less hashy. Sadly no longer made I think.

The name I keep hearing in phono stage around 1000€ are :

Aurorasound vida prima
Hegel v10
Rega aria
Chord huei
(I would be curious about rega fono mc tho)

Tim did you tried the Hegel or aurorasound or little rega fono mc ?
I did for a while, yes. It was very good at the price; although the Huei edged it.

A really flexible transimpedance stage - certainly better than Dr T on a P75 - quieter, less hashy. Sadly no longer made I think.

Thank you to all so far, I have a list to look through.

Does anyone have any experience with Leema phono stages, including the Elements Ultra model? I ask because the dealer I bought the Rega from also stocks Leema. I'm going to have a chat with them about the level of hiss/white noise in any case.
I have the Leema Essentials, no hiss problems with that and a DV XX2 mk2 and previously a DV 20x2L. I have used the Leema via the MC side of the phono-stage previously but am currently running a Rothwell Audio MCL S.U.T into the MM side of the Leema instead, which I personally prefer. The Leema Essentials has been problem free since 2012 when I purchased it.

+1 for Rega Ios. There are two to choose from though. The original and then later Ios Reference. I have the Ref., a stunningly capable ps which rekindled my love affair with vinyl.

The name I keep hearing in phono stage around 1000€ are :

Aurorasound vida prima
Hegel v10
Rega aria
Chord huei
(I would be curious about rega fono mc tho)

Tim did you tried the Hegel or aurorasound or little rega fono mc ?
I owned an Aurorasound Vida for several years, with a Koetsu Red. One of my favorite combinations. It's much more expensive though - £3K or so.

I tried an Aria several years ago on home dem. it was good, but not as good as the Huei to my ears.

I haven't heard the Hegel (but don't really like their amps), while the Fono is a downsized version of an Aria.

If ye can, get a look at...or even better, a listen to - a Pro-ject Tube Box DS2...It's superb and shows its heels to several phono stages at twice the price...and more...:cool:

advertisement

Back