advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not read any of this thread so may have been already mentioned. Spanish and sub titles which does not suit every one but enjoyed " the invisible guest" , also a film with Vanessa Redgrave cannot recall title other than something "secret scripture" set in Ireland in 1942 and updated to modern times.

Just finished La Mante (the mantis) on Netflix. Police drama concerning a copycat serial killer in the Paris region. Not as good as Spiral, but worth a watch if that is your sort of thing.

Yes, La Mante was actually good when it got going, the lead lady was the French president's alcoholic wife in "Spin" which is another French subtitled political drama we like here...it has a very good non-homophobic sub plot which was quite touching.

Spiral is of course fantastic....the red head barrister was in something else recently...?

Watched two films on Netflix this weekend The Man with the Iron Heart and The Polka King.
Both worth a watch imho.

Just seen Dead Beautiful recommended on the Guardian's Spiral blog - "For anyone looking to fill the void between Saturday nights with 'Engrenages' can I suggest a nine-part Paris flic series currently available on Channel 4's Walter Presents.It's called 'Dead Beautiful' and gives a starring role to Thierry Godard, the lovably dishevelled Gilou with the lived-in face. In this other series Goddard is Gilou in all but name."

Might be worth a look.

One more thumbs up for Unabomber. Tight direction and marvellous acting that makes it stay in the mind.

Whilst ill over Chrimbus with Australian flu I managed to consume 'Dark'.

In short summary - nicely filmed, acted, set and scored; an atmospheric story about time-travel, purpose and general weirdness in a small town in Germany between 2019, 1986 and 1953.

Plenty of ponderous moments set to nice synths. Recommended.

I finished Godless on Netflix the other day. As people have said above it’s very good. Not something for people who want fast paced action perhaps, but I found it excellent.

Whilst there was nothing worth watching on TV tonight (including footie), I caught up with a film that was broadcast last Sunday on BBC4 - "Before the Winter Chill" - absolutely amazing + a bit of a slow burn but also full of tension, if you like that sort of thing.

808 on Amazon Prime, looking at the history of the Roland TR-808. Not watched it yet but the subject interests me.

Mick

Recently watched Dark in Netflix. Rather interesting storyline, the synths get used a lot and fit in well with the title!! Yes I’d recommend that one, To those that like a bit of light sci-fi.

Unabomber was also superb, best thing I’ve seen on TV for a while in fact. Thoroughly recommended.

I need new series recommendations. I also have sky, so if anyone has any recommendations there they would also be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back