advertisement

Dump The Guardian!

The BBC, along with all public service broadcasters, aims to reflect the society they serve. I'd agree the level of successful is variable.
Auntie puts an effort in to having a representative workforce that would make the DM cream its pants.
The fact is those on the right consider the BBC a traitor that should be shut down for precisely the opposite reasons to your criticisms - too left/liberal/multi-cultural/critical of government/agitating/etc.

I wouldn't read too much into that sort of criticism: since Thatcher at least it's been practiced both as a point of principle (public service broadcasting, eh?) and strategy - a highly effective strategy, as this BMJ thing demonstrates. Don't get me wrong, I'll defend the BBC against such people, but it needs a kick up the arse.

Was the BMJ article reported anywhere on TV Sean? I don't think C4 News picked it up either although I didn't see all of the news that day. I know RT *did* report it despite (or maybe because of) being the Kremlin's mouthpiece.

Was just thinking that Drood. I didn't watch it the day that story broke, and I can't find anything on the website.

The angle? Putin got Trump elected with his interference in the US election, and Putin caused Brexit; and Jeremy Corbyn loves Putin.

Given that you are the one who highly vocally bought into the Trump campaign, lapped up all the Russian social media bot spam etc, hangs on every word Putin’s Russia Today propaganda channel puts out and even holds the now hopelessly discredited Assange in high regard it really is rather amusing to see you draw attention to your gullibility yet again. How many times do you need to be proven wrong? Analysis really isn’t your strong point, is it?!

The Nick Cohen right-wing attack-dog article is a load of sh*te but I don't think Corbyn should be an apologist for Putin.

But he's (Max) right about Cohen, and the use being made of Putin by the right/liberals/centre. Putin ate my remain campaign.

Given that you are the one who highly vocally bought into the Trump campaign, lapped up all the Russian social media bot spam etc, hangs on every word Putin’s Russia Today propaganda channel puts out and even holds the now hopelessly discredited Assange in high regard it really is rather amusing to see you draw attention to your gullibility yet again. How many times do you need to be proven wrong? Analysis really isn’t your strong point, is it?!

Lol, you missed out an opportunity to label me an Assad, Iran apologist too.

If you're to be any good in your new role as a Neocon propagandist you must use your opportunities better :cool:

The Nick Cohen right-wing attack-dog article is a load of sh*te but I don't think Corbyn should be an apologist for Putin.

It is not a good article, but there is no denying a lot on the furthest extremes of the left have been pwned by misinformation and destabilising propaganda originating from Russia. This relating to Trump, Brexit and I strongly suspect other things too, e.g. I bet some of the more destructive and destabilising anti-Zionsm/anti-Semitism originates from there too. It appears there are highly organised forces in Russia that wish to see the west splinter into various extreme factions and are playing all sides against the centre.

I don't think Corbyn should be an apologist for Putin.

That's Neocon speak, Drood.

Corbyn is a pragmatic, wise man well able to resist being shoehorned into political positions by Neocon establishment dogmas.

Don't mistake this unwillingness to be manipulated for weakness; it is in fact strength!

Because the government is the government, it should not be subject to scrutiny by a national broadcaster? Because it was chosen by the nation? That is not really what I would call a defensible position.

Sean, that isn't what my post said, nor what I meant. You are capable of much more intelligent and rigorous argument than that, and it disappoints me to see you resort to such tactics.

He isn't Drood. But Putin is a massive distraction.
Yes, that's how I see it. I don't believe Corbyn is a natural Putin ally so painting him as such is a distratction.

It is not a good article, but there is no denying a lot on the furthest extremes of the left have been pwned by misinformation and destabilising propaganda originating from Russia. This relating to Trump, Brexit and I strongly suspect other things too, e.g. I bet some of the more destructive and destabilising anti-Zionsm/anti-Semitism originates from there too. It appears there are highly organised forces in Russia that wish to see the west splinter into various extreme factions and are playing all sides against the centre.
Maybe. But Corbyn is not hard left (nor is the vast majority of the Labour Party). So mentioning Putin in this context can only be the latest in a long series of attempts to smear him.

That's Neocon speak, Drood.

Corbyn is a pragmatic, wise man well able to resist being shoehorned into political positions by Neocon establishment dogmas.

Don't mistake this unwillingness to be manipulated for weakness; it is in fact strength!
Pragmatism is fine. But I also expect Corbyn to call Putin out on human rights abuses in Russia. I'd like to see a reboot of the ethical foreign policy attempted briefly in the early days of New Labour when Robin Cook was Foreign Secretary.

It does seem likely that Russia's propaganda machine is well developed, and that its aim is to sow discord and confusion abroad, but its greatest success in these terms seems to have been convincing liberals of its unlimited power. Every story about bots distracts from the unprecedented centralisation of media power in the hands of a few software giants; every story about "kompromat" distracts from the homegrown forces of disaster capitalism and racism pushing Brexit, Trump, austerity. There's an obvious need for root and branch political reform in the UK and the US and as long as it's all Putin! Bots! Troll farms! there's no way it's going to happen. McDonnell and Corbyn are basically saying, FFS! We've got work to do here!

Maybe. But Corbyn is not hard left (nor is the vast majority of the Labour Party). So mentioning Putin in this context can only be the latest in a long series of attempts to smear him.

Agreed, but there is also no denying the amount of real damage folk like our very own Maxflinn are doing to Labour’s election chances by parroting gibberish they have been fed from sources that appear to wish to destabilise the whole system. Putin’s game is becoming increasingly clear, it is to gently help tip things further into the highly divided popularist chaos of Trump, Brexit etc. A highly fractured and divided world being far easier for his particular brand of billionaire gangster capitalism/oligarchy to thrive. The disturbing thing being the extent to which folk on all extremes lap the propaganda up without researching sources etc etc. Surely it is clear by now many folk have been played/pwned?!

The simple, and very reasonable, logic is that since the BBC is "The British Broadcasting Corporation" funded and indirectly controlled by "the state" it is broadly supportive of the elected government because that government democratically represents the will of the people. Because it is "the government" of the nation! The only government there is! At the same time, it does not hesitate to report and analyse hard news that puts the government in a bad light. I would hope it will be equally objective with regard to the opposition, or any other political party or movement.

As has already been said, there will inevitably be a difference of opinion as to its objectivity between the Left and the Right, which are themselves subjective positions.

On another tack, it seems to me, as only a poor foreigner, that the importance, in the world, of what British government and opposition leaders do or say is greatly exaggerated in many British minds. The only news stories regarding UK politics I've seen in the Italian papers over the past few weeks have been about "you-know-what."

As far as I can tell BBC News has given up on the idea of objectivity (seeking to establish the truth).

Instead, it now favours a debased form of impartiality - giving airtime to competing perspectives, regardless of their value, without challenging any of them too much.

You might argue this is a pragmatic response to the difficulties of establishing "the truth". Personally, I see it as a dereliction of duty.

advertisement

Back