advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

i had a 2002 plate 300cc in the same chassis....main memories on the trails were: bit too tall, vibrates, hard to kick off in tricky places, powervalve setting goes from barking mad to completely insane. I wonder if the extra 80 cc addresses any of that.

Not really. The power response is very much "a bit" -> "a bit more" -> "a bit more" -> front wheel in the air.

34905068035_fc458585f0_c.jpg

Always loved the look of these!
Only ridden smaller bikes, mainly many moons ago. Several 125s, a 250 and a 350.
After many years just got back on a 125 scooter. Once I'm totally happy plan to get something like the new Honda Rebel 300
My wife has been missing touring (as a pillion) due to a bad knee, but wanted to try again. I was looking at buying a Honda Valkyrie, but she found this locally, so we bought it. Unfortunately it spent 2 months with a mechanic having the clutch and oil leak sorted (won't go there again!), so we missed this year's opportunity. The ferry to Santander goes from Plymouth, where we now live, so it would be easier for her. Hopefully next year.
Unless I bang myself up on a trackday again. :rolleyes:

I always wanted a Suzuki GT380 too - I've got a thing about 2 stroke triples, but never had one. I wonder if there are any kettles around still?

You probably would have liked it. My 380 L was a sweet little thing, smooth and refined, and the L had much improved, if still inadequate, ground clearance.

If you have a thing about 2-stroke triples you should try an early '70s Kawasaki 750! I did, once around 1975, accidentally twitched the throttle just a teeny bit when accelerating and the front wheel immediately left the ground. It howled horribly beautifully and left clouds of oil smoke behind. It was bright orange. Very dramatic and very dangerous!

I had a GT380 with Frank Dyson bodywork, 3 expansion pipes and clip ons... it was crap but ah the sound it made when on song!
Crap brakes, lousy handling and although it kind of felt fast... it wasn't really that quick. Only had it about a month as it then holed the centre piston and as I had another bike to keep on the road for the day job at the time (London motorcycle courier)it had to go.

Honda DT175 (80s off-road mostly)
Honda YZ125 (80's off-road)
Honda CJ125 (college commuter)
Honda Hornet 600 naked (Work commuter 2000's)
Honda CB1300 naked (currently my toy)

Have been lusting after a newish Yamaha Vmax for a few years now, just can't justify the cost and storage could be an issue too.
As a boy I always wanted a CB400 superdream (had a big poster on my bedroom wall) and the Suzuki SP370 which was a big thumper in its' day.

I find I can't ride for much over an hour without my arse getting sore. I don't understand how people do tours of Europe my arse wouldn't be able to take the punishment. I also don't get super sport bikes, the riding position is so uncomfortable to me, with my neck twisted up, I also like to feel the air so don't like faired bikes.

I also hate helmets, riding without one is like being liberated from a deep mine ...

But I love big fast naked bikes that go like stink...:)

Honda DT175 (80s off-road mostly)
Honda YZ125 (80's off-road)
Honda CJ125 (college commuter)
Honda Hornet 600 naked (Work commuter 2000's)
Honda CB1300 naked (currently my toy)

Have been lusting after a newish Yamaha Vmax for a few years now, just can't justify the cost and storage could be an issue too.
As a boy I always wanted a CB400 superdream (had a big poster on my bedroom wall) and the Suzuki SP370 which was a big thumper in its' day.

I find I can't ride for much over an hour without my arse getting sore. I don't understand how people do tours of Europe my arse wouldn't be able to take the punishment. I also don't get super sport bikes, the riding position is so uncomfortable to me, with my neck twisted up, I also like to feel the air so don't like faired bikes.

I also hate helmets, riding without one is like being liberated from a deep mine ...

But I love big fast naked bikes that go like stink...:)

Whilst I was once a MAG rep, riding without a lid is bloody freezing! On a helmets off protest once we got in a couple of motorway miles and I got a headache from the cold in about 4 mins!

Here's my historical list:

1969 (?) 50cc Guzzi Dingo Cross
1955 AJS 500 twin
1971 Norton Commando Fastback LR (rpt: LR stupidly sold it, now worth a fortune)
1972 Guzzi 750S
1981 BMW R100CS (Still got it!)

I find I can't ride for much over an hour without my arse getting sore. I don't understand how people do tours of Europe my arse wouldn't be able to take the punishment.
I have an inflatable seat cover which straps on. i have ridden to Italy and back without getting a sore bum. It's not this one, but similar. I have it inflated just enough to relieve soreness, but not so much that I wobble about.
roho_airhawk_motorcycle_cushion_sizes.JPG

Whilst I was once a MAG rep, riding without a lid is bloody freezing! On a helmets off protest once we got in a couple of motorway miles and I got a headache from the cold in about 4 mins!

Yeah, I agree the motorway would be far too fast to be lidless, even with sunglasses if you looked left or right they'd get ripped off. My experience is just larking around in woods and fields on a scrambler in the summer and also pottering around in hot foreign climes on small bikes eg. H100. No reason to do the same on a big bike it just needs to be summer and below about 50 mph.

I have an inflatable seat cover which straps on. i have ridden to Italy and back without getting a sore bum. It's not this one, but similar. I have it inflated just enough to relieve soreness, but not so much that I wobble about.
roho_airhawk_motorcycle_cushion_sizes.JPG

These look interesting, it seems they would allow blood flow and some ventilation too. I have tried a gel seat and that was no better...In fact a bit worse as I recall. How long can you ride in one go with one of these?

Also what's the best helmet (I know about open face ones) that allows good airflow and cooling around the head. I have a Shubert C3, which is nice and light but I can't feel the airflow. I do have a big head and the C3 is XXL and still tight!

If you have a thing about 2-stroke triples you should try an early '70s Kawasaki 750! I did, once around 1975, accidentally twitched the throttle just a teeny bit when accelerating and the front wheel immediately left the ground. It howled horribly beautifully and left clouds of oil smoke behind. It was bright orange. Very dramatic and very dangerous!

Went for a test ride on an H2 when I had my H1B. Thought the 750 was actually more civilised, thanks to torque aplenty, better clearance.

Went for a test ride on an H2 when I had my H1B. Thought the 750 was actually more civilised, thanks to torque aplenty, better clearance.

At the time I had a 1955 AJS twin, so for me the H2 was a rocket. I remember that the engine had a horrible metallic rattle at low revs, which turned into a howl and then a scream.

These look interesting, it seems they would allow blood flow and some ventilation too. I have tried a gel seat and that was no better...In fact a bit worse as I recall. How long can you ride in one go with one of these?
I managed about 5 hours, but my wife called stop before I did.

At the time I had a 1955 AJS twin, so for me the H2 was a rocket. I remember that the engine had a horrible metallic rattle at low revs, which turned into a howl and then a scream.

Yes, quite the culture shock I'm sure! Those Kwakas ran generous piston clearances to prevent them from seizing, hence the rattle. Very crude. Suzy's triple triplets were vastly more refined, with typically over-engineered mechanicals.

I had an airhawk on my CBF1000GT for a while - the saddle wasn't uncomfortable, I'd just gotten used to the sofa that my old Deauville had fitted and was amazingly comfortable. With the Airhawk on the CBF was fine for 500 mile days though - although once my arse got used to the bike I found it comfortable enough that I stopped using the Airhawk.

As there is a lot of talk around old gipper bikes, remembering that old marque Norton. Well, this new V4 looks alright:

26788733809_3324498554_k.jpg

advertisement

Back