advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

Rasher

Quadrophenia land
Watching the Moto GP yesterday my little boy was asking if I had any motorbikes ever, so I had a think about it and came up with quite a list.
So, what have you guys had and how did they work out?

My list:

Yamaha RD125
Honda CJ 125
Suzuki GS650G Katana
Kawasaki Z1 900
Honda XL 250
Suzuki PE 175
Suzuki TS250
Suzuki GSXR750 MkII 1986 (Like the very first one but with slightly longer swingarm, in Skol Bandit colours) [bought new]
Suzuki GSXR750 Slingshot 1988 [bought new]
Suzuki GSXR750 WN
Harley Davison XL 1200 sportster [bought new]
Suzuki GSXR750 mkII again, cos I liked it best of all
Honda VFR400

I’m sure I’ve missed a couple which I’ll probably remember later.

Rap 50 - step through moped thing.
Suzuki 80 - almost a motorbike sold to mate as it was too fast
Triumph Tigress 250 - scooter damaged bottom end sold
Yamaha RS125 - new, crap, but at least reliable.
Ducati 350 Mk3 - lovely when going, crashed and now gone to the great shed in the sky
Morini 350 Strada - Ok, but frame slightly bent
Morini 500 Sport - great fun , but let down by weak bottom end.

Crashed on Ducati. I can't ride a bike now. A bit annoying as I can now afford a better bike.

Yamaha FZR1000RU 1993-1995 My first bike. Utterly fantastic in every way.

BMW C1 125 2001-2001 Ugly duckling but superb inner city commuter. Brilliant idea but flawed execution.

BMW C1 200 2002-present I have owned this one for the last ten years. Irreplaceable. Now shares commuting duties with a bicycle.

It's unlikely that I will return to a proper motorbike, at least until my kid is older.

Loads of scooters dumped in the local garages after being nicked/trashed by the local biker club !
Honda C50 (schoolboy field hack)
Suzuki A50 (like the moped but without pedals)
Honda C90 (borrowed to take test on after crashing above)
Triumph 21/3TA
Triumph T90 based custom bike
Suzuki SP370 (borrowed - sounded like a bucket of bolts on a tin roof, but went like the clappers)
Suzuki GS750 (a swap for an Austin Maxi !)
Yamaha XV750 (dreadful heap of sh*te)
TriBSA 650 Thunderbird based tuned engine in a BSA A10 frame
Norton Commando Fastback (swapped for XV750)
Triumph T100 in a Triumph 250 frame (Mad)
Kawasaki Z650 B1
Yamaha 600 Tenere
Norton Commando Fastback No. 2 (swapped for above)
Triumph Thunderbird 900

Probably loads of others as well

Just one,

Ducati 916 Senna

After ending up on my backside in a field in France after a 130mph incident Mrs Beers suggested i grow up. So I confined my habit to track days and then sold it a year later. Simply not possible for me to ride them sensibly or particularly well it seems.

only one for me too. YZF1000R.

150 BHP is too much for two wheels. got rid when I had my daughter.

Feeling like something more torquey next time like an aprilia mille.

1955 AJS 500 twin
1970 (?) Norton 750 Commando LR Fastback
1972 Moto Guzzi 750S
1981 BMW R100CS

Watching the Moto GP yesterday my little boy was asking if I had any motorbikes ever, so I had a think about it and came up with quite a list.
So, what have you guys had and how did they work out?

My list:

Yamaha RD125
Honda CJ 125
Suzuki GS650G Katana
Kawasaki Z1 900
Honda XL 250
Suzuki PE 175
Suzuki TS250
Suzuki GSXR750 MkII 1986 (Like the very first one but with slightly longer swingarm, in Skol Bandit colours) [bought new]
Suzuki GSXR750 Slingshot 1988 [bought new]
Suzuki GSXR750 WN
Harley Davison XL 1200 sportster [bought new]
Suzuki GSXR750 mkII again, cos I liked it best of all
Honda VFR400

I’m sure I’ve missed a couple which I’ll probably remember later.

Shame on you, when living in Quadrophenia Land do what the locals do and ride a Lambretta!

No one had a FS1E then :eek:

Gods teeth we had standards you know, horrible little buzzing stink-wheels, mind you they were better than the hideous Malaguti mopeds (remember them ?).

My A50 would do 56 genuine mph (57 and it over-revved....)

Had, in this order (guess when we had small children and were too poor to afford 2 cars):
Kawasaki S1C
[Bad accident and off bikes for some years]
Honda 250 Superdream
Honda 400/4
[Bad accident and off bikes for some years]
Honda 90
Honda 100
Suzuki 125
Ducati ST2

Got:
Lambretta/Piaggio 125
Harley Road King Classic
Moto Guzzi Breva

Ducati Monster 750S.

Good for a novice like me. No mechanical issues after 15k miles. It doesn't get much use these days due to no longer having to commute, no longer living spitting distance from Hwy. 1 in No. Cal, and snow in Idaho.

Shame on you, when living in Quadrophenia Land do what the locals do and ride a Lambretta!

lent some RatStands to Garry Cooper a couple of weeks ago, he is now running the milton rooms in malton.

small world.

Kawasaki Z250 G,
Benelli 2502C (LC250 eater:))
Honda 90 (damn the 125 law)
Honda CX500
Honda XL500S
Yamaha TR1 (my favourite)
Honda 250RS (winter bike)
and still have my Ducati 900 Supersport.

Unusual choice. Was it enough because of the bike or just the overall experience? A VanVan isn't a typical 125 after all.

Erm well it was all part of a dare/bluff that went too far.

I was 34 and my Gf had moved in and as we couldnt park two cars we had to get rid of one. She pushed for hers (I cant remember why I gave in at the time) so I said if we got rid of mine I'd learn to ride a bike.

Anyway the VanVan was bought second hand as a ex learner from a bike dealer. It was less than a year old with just1400 miles on it. I liked it and it's a cool little bike.

It's just that as a biker I was crap. I left it too late to learn. So I only rode it about a mile before I sold it 6 months later for £1500. I think I lost £100 on it.

advertisement

Back