advertisement

Change of turntable ahead…

One thing I’ve noticed. I need to clean some of this vinyl.
It's better you have a turntable that is tolerant.

Most records are not perfect. Some turntables, arms and cartridges are very good at highlighting record dirt, wear and damage while others do a good job at hiding it. For me, the former is way too limiting. I just want to buy records and play them, I want to explore the music. I'm not interested in worshiping the turntable and only playing perfect vinyl that shows it off.

This seems to be a very tolerant cartridge though the recommendation appears to be to add the mk 2 version of the stylus. Some of the vinyl I’m listening to hasn’t been touched for years. Lots of it is donated. I’ve got a Disco Antistat that could do with a workout. It’s just so dull doing it!

Yeah, they're not bad. Certainly a bit more peaceable than a typical Audio Technica.
It has smooth transitions through the frequencies. Nothing is highlighted too much. The bass is articulate and not overblown or too fat and the treble has an ease. No rough edges at all. I like the ATML I had, but I think the vintage of the cart is in good synergy with the table. Your earlier comment that it trades punches with the 2M Black was heartening as I have heard the Black and found it to be a lovely cart. Just couldn‘t afford it at the time. It also tracks very well. I think the stylus upgrade may add something without altering the sound too much. Something to look at later. Very happy with the arm though.

Listening beyond Linn, Naim and Rega has been the single best upgrade I have made. Dismissing other stuff isn’t cool.
I was lucky, back in the day, to stumble across the Music Room. I'd read the mags, (this was way before the internet, obviously), and so naturally I was dreaming of a Linn. When I walked in the door of the Music Room, and asked about Linn, they told me very bluntly that there were other turntables thst were as good, or better, and always had been. Disoriented and incredulous, I asked what those turntables were, and they pointed to a Thorens in a corner, (it might have been a TD124 or 126), and then to the Systemdek. They actually had a Linn in stock, which had been traded in, which was how I managed to get a demo of Linn vs Systemdek. It was a real ear-opener.
It would never have happened at a Linn dealer, of course - demos against real competition were never on offer there. I did have demos at Linn dealers later, and those made clear to me thst Linn and Naim gear did was not what I was looking for.
I have no problem accepting that other people are looking for the Linn sound. But I wonder how many people bought Linn and Naim not because that's the sound they wanted, but because they'd been gaslight, basically, because they weren't as lucky as me, and didnt meet someone who set them straight.
That's why it really p's me off when I see people, even today, suggesting that buying anything other than Linn is a mistake. Open your eyes, people!

It has smooth transitions through the frequencies. Nothing is highlighted too much. The bass is articulate and not overblown or too fat and the treble has an ease. No rough edges at all. I like the ATML I had, but I think the vintage of the cart is in good synergy with the table. It also tracks very well. I think the stylus upgrade may add something without altering the sound too much. Something to look at later. Very happy with the arm though.
Yes, a stylus upgrade will give you a bit more detail without changing the fundamental character of the sound. The 540 is a very good MM cart, up there with the best in my opinion.

When I walked in the door of the Music Room, and asked about Linn, they told me very bluntly that there were other turntables thst were as good, or better, and always had been.
A non-Linn dealer not recommending Linn, shock horror! ;0)

Bottom line, you're not getting unbiased advice from any hi-fi dealer. Were they lying? Not really but it's never that black and white is it?

I was lucky, back in the day, to stumble across the Music Room. I'd read the mags, (this was way before the internet, obviously), and so naturally I was dreaming of a Linn. When I walked in the door of the Music Room, and asked about Linn, they told me very bluntly that there were other turntables thst were as good, or better, and always had been. Disoriented and incredulous, I asked what those turntables were, and they pointed to a Thorens in a corner, (it might have been a TD124 or 126), and then to the Systemdek. They actually had a Linn in stock, which had been traded in, which was how I managed to get a demo of Linn vs Systemdek. It was a real ear-opener.
It would never have happened at a Linn dealer, of course - demos against real competition were never on offer there. I did have demos at Linn dealers later, and those made clear to me thst Linn and Naim gear did was not what I was looking for.
I have no problem accepting that other people are looking for the Linn sound. But I wonder how many people bought Linn and Naim not because that's the sound they wanted, but because they'd been gaslight, basically, because they weren't as lucky as me, and didnt meet someone who set them straight.
That's why it really p's me off when I see people, even today, suggesting that buying anything other than Linn is a mistake. Open your eyes, people!
I think the marketing is more impressive than the sound quality. And the sound quality is good. I just think, over time, the brands have attained mythical status, propelled by the good marketing. The appearance of the Linn management team a few years ago on a TV design programme was a great example of their marketing philosophy. But it was also pompous and icky and backfired on the brand really. They are good brands but not the best in my opinion, despite their attempts to portray this. I did run a Naim 82/180 at one time and I enjoyed it. But I did find it overpriced( it was a gift) at the time and limited in what it could play successfully. For classical, chamber was ok but it struggled with orchestral. It shouldn’t be the case for gear that cost well over £2.5K.
I always thought ‘I need to look at something else soon’ The thought of paying for upgrades for gear that I already thought good but limited was not the pathway for me.

Yes, a stylus upgrade will give you a bit more detail without changing the fundamental character of the sound. The 540 is a very good MM cart, up there with the best in my opinion.
I like the sound profile. Something to think about! I could do with a guard for the 520 though. Making me nervous, especially with the hyper light arm!

A non-Linn dealer not recommending Linn, shock horror! ;0)

Bottom line, you're not getting unbiased advice from any hi-fi dealer. Were they lying? Not really but it's never that black and white is it?
My point was that they didn't recommend one over the other. They gave me a demo and let me choose.

Unlike Linn dealers, whose entire stance was that Linn was best, and anyone who couldn't see thst was an idiot. Gaslighting, basically.

(If you want to know how it was that this approach came to be so prevalent with Linn products, just read any of the interviews with Ivor Tiefenbrun - there are plenty online - and you'll work it out.)

(PS, it wasnt only in hifi that he was convinced he knew better than everyone else. This is the man who once had to resign as a Tory candidate because he said that Scots were "thick" to hate Thatcher.)

My son has just arrived and his eyes widened when he saw and listened to the deck. He couldn’t believe the price and he loved the looks. He’d like to try my CA deck. I think it would be perfect for him. He said that refurbishing decks would be a good thing to do when I retire. I may learn and develop this idea. I may make a little to fund my hobby but it would be for pleasure really.

5920-Ortofon-520-MKII-Nadel-fuer-Series-520-Mkll-Ori.jpg

It has one! It's integrated into the nose of the cartridge and flips down.

What is even less obvious is that the stylus wont pull off with the guard in the closed position. Worth remembering come stylus change time.
So it has. I thought it was the body. Not good eyesight these days. I thought it odd. Thanks Mr Pig!

advertisement

Back