advertisement

Change of turntable ahead…

My old Time Out is a bit knackered so I recently bought a modern replacement. Horrible noisy pressing that I never got round to sending back so I’m stuck with the CD. My Time Further Out is nice though.

My old Time Out is a bit knackered so I recently bought a modern replacement. Horrible noisy pressing that I never got round to sending back so I’m stuck with the CD. My Time Further Out is nice though.
Mine is a nice modern pressing so sounds great.

Have cleaned the belt and this has reduced a bit of slippage at the start up. Ordered a new belt. The carbon fibre arm is very impressive. Seems to just let the cartridge do the work. In due course I can change the stylus for a Mk2 which should add refinement but I’ll wait and learn more about the deck and set up before looking ahead. Having listened to some piano, chamber and orchestra, this is going to be an ideal table for classical I feel. There is no strain as you add volume and it remains very composed. It’s the best vinyl sound I‘ve had by far.

Glad you're enjoying the Sytemdek. One of these was my first proper turntable, bought in the Music Room in Glasgow around 1982, after a demo against a Linn. The Sytemdek was far more to my taste. It was always a superb turntable. Selling it was probably my biggest hifi mistake. I can't believe that there were people at the start of this thread telling you not to do it, and to get a Linn or Rega instead. Forty odd years later, and still the nonsense goes on.

Start up is much better now. It’s been in storage for a while so seems to be stretching its arms a legs a little. I’ve had it a few days now and took Mr Pigs sound advice to moderate expectations etc. But it was obvious from the start. It really does have a lovely flow. Having heard a Linn from the era, it has a similar warmth and generosity of tone but perhaps little more detail, a little brighter? I can see why see it as a competitor. Maybe the cart and new stylus? My FIL would be interested to hear this. He owned a similar era Linn. He couldn’t recollect the name and immediately dismissed it. He’s already startled by the quality of my set up in comparison to the megabucks gear he has. He’s one of those audiophiles that just goes for the best without listening to many comparisons. He must have changed his mind because he was contemplating selling his gear and replacing it with something akin to mine! Funny. Either I’m doing a good job or he’s deluded, maybe both.

Glad you're enjoying the Sytemdek. One of these was my first proper turntable, bought in the Music Room in Glasgow around 1982, after a demo against a Linn. The Sytemdek was far more to my taste. It was always a superb turntable. Selling it was probably my biggest hifi mistake. I can't believe that there were people at the start of this thread telling you not to do it, and to get a Linn or Rega instead. Forty odd years later, and still the nonsense goes on.
Listening beyond Linn, Naim and Rega has been the single best upgrade I have made. Dismissing other stuff isn’t cool.

A refurbished , well maintained transcription deck, a well regarded £500 arm and a £200 cart for peanuts really.Think it would compete favourably against some fettled Linn and higher Rega. I’m sure Rega’s higher range are very nice but always found the low to medium range quite etched and lacking depth and richness of sound IMO.But it is all about what type of sound one prefers. I’m a big fan of great jazz and early 70s recordings. I like a sound of those recordings and try to keep the sound within this favoured type.

advertisement

Back